Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

On 09/01/2018 at 3:15 AM, PeterHG said:

I was down with the flu ever since the year started, so no chance for birding or photography. Today, however, I felt recovered and restless enough to venture outside again. After all the Big Year 2018 is already in full swing and there's no time to lose. My wife told me to take it easy, but I replied that the BY does not wait for stragglers. The mention of prize money finally convinced her to allow me an hour in the field ;). 

01. Canada Goose. (Branta canadensis(January, Arkemheen) There is a fairly large breeding population in the country. The biggest of our geese

i-7GQhFG8-X2.jpg

@PeterHG great pictures!

but.... prize money for BY on ST??

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, Kitsafari said:

@PeterHG great pictures!

but.... prize money for BY on ST??

@Kitsafari You mean you didn't know? 

49 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

@Kitsafari You mean you didn't know? 

nooooo.... :rolleyes::o:blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'll try and join in again. Working my way through the photos of our recent trip through Namibia. The number of species spotted certainly did not disappoint (258)! Of course I did not manage to take photos of all of them (not even close), but enough to add quite a few to my year list. Let's start then...

19 / Nam 1/ Xce6 14DT   Pale Chanting Goshawk, Sesriem January. (The last numbers and letters don't mean anything, but it seems like a complicated coding system has become mandatory this year...;) 

i-47Ghfgm-X2.jpg

20 / Nam 2 Scaly-feathered Finch, January Sesriem. 

i-23mvtMD-X2.jpg

Welcome home and expecting great things over the next few 100 posts:rolleyes:

Off to a good start.

21 / Nam 3 Pale-winged Starling, January, Sesriem. At the foor of Dune 45, to be more precise.

i-CGJ5gwM-X2.jpg

i-VmRCMxB-X2.jpg

22 / Nam 4  Pied Crow, January, Sesriem

i-W2GPPps-X2.jpg

23 / Nam 5 Common (or Southern) Fiscal. January, Sesriem. The arid subspecies with the white eyebrow stripe.

i-GtzjGTn-X2.jpg

24 / Nam 6  Cape Sparrow.  January, Sesriem.

i-tRGGzwh-XL.jpg

25 / Nam 7. Familiar Chat. January Sesriem

i-SsKZLpv-XL.jpg

26 / Nam 8. Rüppel's Korhaan. January, Sesriem.

i-7nSCQx7-X2.jpg

27 / Nam 9. Ludwig's Bustard. January, Sesriem. Bothe the previous one and this one were lifers for me.

i-33rb3w4-X2.jpg

28. / Nam 10. Sociable Weaver. January. Sesriem. One of those species you take a photo of and then, seeing them everywhere, forget to try and get a better one.

i-WX2Thtv-XL.jpg

i-FNQmfHj-XL.jpg

29 / Nam 11. Pygmy Falcon. January, Sesriem. Only saw them once. Again I was amazed at how tiny they are.

i-BdB9mD9-X2.jpg

Dave Williams

Wow, excellent photos as well as some excellent birds.

28 minutes ago, xelas said:

Tack sharp, as expected from @PeterHG ! Why did you drop your naming system :huh:?!

;) I knew you’d figure out the code. I’m waiting for myself to do the same...

Only 11 so far and I am running out of likes before he has left Sesreim!

30 / Nam 12. Crowned Cormorant. January, Walvis Bay.  The vast majority on the Walvis Bay coast are Cape Cormorants, but I did manage to see one or two of these.

i-xWvpWqF-XL.jpg

31 / Nam 13 Hartlaub's Gull. January, Walvis Bay. 

i-hNSGgx2-X2.jpg

i-zqHFgtt-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

32 / Nam 14. Sandwich Tern. January, Walvis Bay. Terns in non-breeding plumage all look more or less the same, but fortunately the black bill with yellow tip gives them away.

i-6HGN6Zx-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

33 / Nam 15. Cape Cormorant. January, Walvis Bay. Did I mention that the majority were Cape Cormorants ?

i-Pg8wRrW-X2.jpg

i-D7MjDfx-X2.jpg

34 / Nam 16. Damara Tern. January, Walvis Bay. Another lifer for me. About the size of the Little Tern.

i-SPPC5fS-XL.jpg