Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

56 / Nam 38. Lark-like Bunting. January, Madisa Camp. Not too many distinctive features, but perhaps that makes it distinctive.

i-xTCN3PQ-XL.jpg

57 / Nam 39. White-browed Sparrow-Weaver. January, Madisa Camp.

i-ffSspQv-XL.jpg

58 / Nam 40. Olive Bee-eater. February, Kunene. A lifer, so even the ugly wire was okay by me.

i-vKZH2L9-X2.jpg 

59 / Nam 41. Greater Kestrel. February, Kunene. 

i-LGmZSnb-X2.jpg

60 / Nam 42. Cattle Egret. February, Kunene. Quite a few of them along the road from Ruacana to Kunene River Lodge.

i-6s54LKJ-X2.jpg

16 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

Not too many distinctive features, but perhaps that makes it distinctive.

That has to be one of the most profound observations produced on this forum.

Another nice collection with more to come I hope although you seem to have made rapid progress from Walvis to the border. Perhaps saving the best until last?

@PeterHG there is no such thing as an ugly wire when a beautiful bird sits on it! So many close encounters you have had!

Great additions with a wonderful picture of a Peregrine.

1 hour ago, Galana said:

That has to be one of the most profound observations produced on this forum.

Another nice collection with more to come I hope although you seem to have made rapid progress from Walvis to the border. Perhaps saving the best until last?

From Swakopmund we went way up north with just a one-night stop at Madisa Camp. I'll try and go into that when I'll do a trip report later on. As you have seen, tarred road all the way up to Ruacana so one can make good progress. No Swee Waxbills in Kunene River Lodge and no boat trips...

47 minutes ago, xelas said:

@PeterHG there is no such thing as an ugly wire when a beautiful bird sits on it! So many close encounters you have had!

Perhaps I crop too much...;)

17 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

Great additions with a wonderful picture of a Peregrine.

Thanks, Tony!

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

No Swee Waxbills in Kunene River Lodge and no boat trips...

I did not doubt it. Perhaps you meant Cinderella?:o

32 minutes ago, Galana said:

I did not doubt it. Perhaps you meant Cinderella?:o

Of course.....:unsure:

61 / Nam 43. Spectacled Weaver. February, Kunene River Lodge. A very handsome weaver. Unfortunately I had to resort to iso 6400 both times I spotted it . Still, I am happy withe the shots.

i-rw7jxBK-X2.jpgi-ZG8x5nt-X2.jpg

62 / Nam 44. Red-necked Spurfowl. February, Kunene River Lodge. Noisy as all spurfowls...

i-StbRZ9w-X2.jpg

63 / Nam 45. African (Holub's) Golden Weaver. February, Kunene River Lodge. 

i-hdrJrvR-X2.jpg

64 / Nam 46. Laughing DoveFebruary, Kunene River Lodge. Constant companions, wherever you go.

i-38XDXZ5-X2.jpg

65 / Nam 47. African Grey Hornbill. February, Kunene River Lodge. Their plaintive calls always betray their presence.

i-tT79HQM-X2.jpg

i-c2HFLVb-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

More great photos from a great location.

Love the Spectacled Weaver set.

Peter Connan

Great results on the Spectacled Weaver and beautiful shots of the Grey Hornbill

On 02/03/2018 at 4:17 AM, xelas said:

I disagree, nothing kills an image more for me than a man made object. 

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

I disagree, nothing kills an image more for me than a man made object. 

Ah, yes if only the Bee-eaters would be more considerate in choosing their perch :D....

66 /Nam 48. Cape Turtle Dove. February. Kunene River Lodge. This must be one of the most successful birds of Southern Africa. You see them everywhere. It is their characteristic endlessly repeated call that I always associate with the African bush, nightfall at a waterhole, feeling the solitude of a faraway camp. (does this somehow sound like I want to go back....;))

i-Rpm7xMm-X2.jpg

67 / Nam 49. Bare-cheeked Babbler. February, Kunene River Lodge. Yet another lifer, keeping in the shadows most of the time.

i-5n9XFMK-X2.jpg

i-csQqtXN-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

68 / Nam 50. Rufous-tailed Palm-Thrush. Febr. Kunene River Lodge. One of the specialties of the area, so I was happy to at least get a shot of it.

i-d7Psv9x-XL.jpg

69 / Nam 51. Swamp Boubou.Thanks @galana !

Febr. Kunene River Lodge

i-k7ZT9zb-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

70 / Nam 52. Wire-tailed Swallow. Febr. Kunene River Lodge. More man-mad objects in the photos, but the only chance I got.

i-JLxNWKP-XL.jpg