Soukous, trying to do better in 2018

Soukous

Congrats on reaching #200 and beyond. You do make a compelling case for India with the variety and quality of your photos @Soukous ! I'm with Dave in this, though, there's no way I could sell the idea at home and ,truth be told, Ive always been hesitant about India myself. Thoroughly enjoying your BY thread, however!

Passing by the #200 in great style, @Soukous. The IQ is excellent ... as to be expected.

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

Congrats on reaching #200 and beyond. You do make a compelling case for India with the variety and quality of your photos @Soukous ! I'm with Dave in this, though, there's no way I could sell the idea at home and ,truth be told, Ive always been hesitant about India myself. Thoroughly enjoying your BY thread, however!

I'm curious @PeterHG, what is it about India that concerns you and your wife? Is she not interested in wildlife?

@PeterHG

You need have no concerns about India. I have twice vowed "never to return". It is that kind of place!

4 hours ago, Soukous said:

I'm curious @PeterHG, what is it about India that concerns you and your wife? Is she not interested in wildlife?

As suggested by @Game Warden I've replied in your 'Key differences...' thread

#206 Indian Spotted Eagle (Aquila hastata)

Pench Tiger reserve, India. April 2018

eagle-indian-spotted1.thumb.jpg.da242d98155af451695c18f367c92737.jpg

@Soukous, the Crested Hawk Eagle is impressive, congrats on 200

Only up to the end of page 7. you've been getting around Martin.

Wow, those Indian fish owls. 

excellent bif in #36 too.

#207 Wood Pigeon ((Columba palumbus)

Suffolk Coast, April 2018

In recent days, mostly because the weather has improved significantly and there is some light, I have started carrying a bridge camera whilst walking the dogs. 

Of course trying to photograph birds with 2 cocker spaniels in the vicinity is not destined for great success, but every once in a while I get a shot.

wood-pigeon.thumb.jpg.0e2d900c8c9778afe5389382f583add3.jpg

#208 Shelduck (Tadorna tadorna)

the male

shelduck-m1.thumb.jpg.0545ab0827554f1cd1fc206e3b498abd.jpg

the pair

shelduck-pair.thumb.jpg.0f71d135703b87c1d9e2f023dae7f549.jpg

#209 Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)

canada-goose.thumb.jpg.4902bef464ceb77803c50b1de0418439.jpg

that's an impressive male shelduck. 

• 3 weeks later...

#210 Greylag Goose (Anser anser)

Sylt, Germany. May 2018

I had expected much more from a weekend visit to Sylt, some decent shore birds at least. But my tally was limited to 2 species of goose, Shelducks, some gulls and a Bar Tailed Godwit

greylag-goose.thumb.jpg.fd10c4e0bdd43cd3a9df990c375553ce.jpg

#211 Brent Goose (Branta bernicla)

Sylt, Germany. May 2018

brent-goose.thumb.jpg.336acc94140e48a46cd1dffcb8351636.jpg

brent-goose1.thumb.jpg.bd1e8bec7d496ec02039051ec583bd1c.jpg

@PeterHG would give you the chance to up your score as he says that your bird is treated as a full species and not a race in Europe. Nice flock.

good stuff. Some fab birds from India.   

• 8 months later...

Just for the purposes of closure.

My 2018 started really well and there was a moment when I thought it would be a spectacular year for my bird tally. For various reasons it petered out.

Anyhow, thanks to a late flourish I managed to get my total of species sighted for the year to 527. ( I didn't manage photographs of anywhere near that many unfortunately) 

In amongst that I had 10 species of starling, 13 sunbirds and 8 different Bee-Eaters. 

so let's see what 2019 brings.

Dave Williams

You certainly ticked off a few species.Lots of wriggle room to boost this year's figure for the photo count though. Good luck!