Birding on 3 continents

xelas

1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

:blink:

Ahh, you meant 1/4 of a fried chicken ... no problem with that wish :D.

Thank you, @Dave Williams! The Tortoise deserves a good rest after demanding and hot journey through Baltics. Hare will slow down also. For now.

After reading through the report, I am very happy with the itinerary I have prepared for us. It is almost exactly the same as of those guys, with added days at Caribbean lowlands. They have managed to see 324 different birds. As almost all of them would be new for this year, I am quite optimistic about us getting to #200! 

Edited by xelas

Just catching up Alex.  Lots of lovely new birds from Zvezda and yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to @michael-ibk description of the two warblers, after 2 weeks of absence (not that I have not tried my best in those two weeks) I am able to post one more bird.

BY 366 / EU 113

Marsh Warbler - Acrocephalus palustris

18988351_MarshWarbler.JPG.0d06dba28a9352da40e0a858b28abd56.JPG

Barje, 16.06.2018

michael-ibk

Interesting looking one, must be a young one I guess.

56 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Interesting looking one, must be a young one I guess.

It looks like a youngster to me. Legs light reddish, and lower beak almost yellow.

• 2 weeks later...

Birding is tough hobby :wacko:: 4 hours walking, 19 different birds photographed but only 1 new addition to BY.

BY 367 / EU 114

Savi's Warbler - Locustella luscinioides

1666449320_SavisWarbler.JPG.d571a48817253963c7a0a60410b322ea.JPG

Škocjanski Zatok, 23.06.2018

Edited by xelas

But an addition that is not easily photographed! (Well not by me, anyway...;))

Michael was kind enough to share with us the spot where a lonely swan is hanging out, and while the location is in Austria, luckily it is only a few kilometers on the Austrian side of the Karavanke mountains. Looks like we have found another birding location close to Ljubljana.

BY 368 / EU 115

Black Swann - Cygnus atratus

1660823085_BlackSwann.JPG.14cd9b5c8433267fd604d359d1607072.JPG

281732863_BlackSwannA.JPG.6247f9021c1eacf4e04d288d42686952.JPG

Maria Eland, 30.06.2018

There were not many other species of birds at this time of the year there, however, Zvezda's sharp eye spotted this little gem, and it looks that she also found its nesting site, as the bird has returned to the same branch a couple of times in quick succession

BY 369 / EU 116

Kingfisher (Common) - Alcedo atthis

Kingfisher.JPG.d06755c81215cd8ac956b6614346126b.JPG

KingfisherA.JPG.f0becfb868654e94884f67bcc3bad6b9.JPG

Maria Eland, 30.06.2018

Edited by xelas

And that was not the end of the surprises for her on this special day. Back on Slovenian side we have visited Zelenci, a lovely spot where Sava Dolinka emerges from the marshes. High up in the sky, she noticed a bird of prey. Usually it turns out to be a Common Buzzard. This one, buzzard it was, but ...

BY 370 / EU 117

(European) Honey Buzzard - Pernis apivorus

381608692_HoneyBuzzard.JPG.af8e090bb6e326501d0dc6646cc25055.JPG

1518180865_HoneyBuzzardA.JPG.1b23397ee4f974597b0a1b57d29b4ee8.JPG

Zelenci, 30.06.2018

Dave Williams
On 6/25/2018 at 9:42 PM, xelas said:

Birding is tough hobby :wacko:: 4 hours walking, 19 different birds photographed but only 1 new addition to BY.

I went all the way to Estonia for 1 a day!  400 now almost in sight, should blow that and the 500 away soon Alex!

400 in sight and 500 away soon ... less then 2 weeks to start collecting those numbers, @Dave Williams :). But almost 2 months till they will be added to my BY so in the meantime, I expect some members will fly-by with a speed!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

for 1 a day!  

I am down to 1 a week at the moment so be grateful.:)

@xelas, love those European Bee-eaters #550, in Andalucia one day on a walk, we spent hours trying to get close enough, plenty around but they just wouldn't oblige us. Such a stunning little Bird, and beautifully captured of course. Love the European Honey Buzzard, another one(of many) I saw in Andalucia, just reflecting how good Spain was for birding.

A mini break in World Cup games allowed me to jump on my bicycle and to explore some of the dirt roads on Ljubljansko Barje. I was specifically looking for one bird that I have read might leave to south before we will return from Costa Rica. It was not easy to balance the camera with the long zoom in one hand, to steer the bicycle with the other, and instead down on the road looking up in the trees :blink:!

Returned unharmed and with one photo to post.; it is very much in the EBC category however chances to get a better one are slim to none.

BY 371 / EU 118

Golden Oriole - Oriolus oriolus

1077143684_GoldenOriole.JPG.13a1227d71bd43c386c3785b582205e0.JPG

Ljubljansko Barje, 05.07.2018

1 hour ago, xelas said:

it is very much in the EBC category

Not at all, @xelas .  I've yet to get a chance at an oriole like that!

Peter Connan

They do tend to skulk don't they? Well done!

love the bee-eater series :)

13 hours ago, xelas said:

A mini break in World Cup games

You will never make a true birder until your priorities are reversed and that reads "A mini break in birding let me spend some time with the TV watching Soccer/Dancing/Weddings* (* select as appropriate).

The Eurasian Golden Oriole (leave yourself space for other Oriole species) would only qualify as EBC if you took the photo whilst still riding your bike!:lol:

It's actually quite a decent photograph.

@Galana I am first to admit that I am not a birder (and probably will never become one). Zvezda is closer, she has just invested a hefty amount in buying this book: Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds: Passerines (2-Volume Set) | Shirihai,Hadoram | Hardback. Next step is to send her somewhere to learn the songs&voices  of birds :lol:.

If I would try taking a photo while riding a bike then ... there would be no photo but probably a new lens to be bought :huh:

In order not to forget about the most common bird which is unusually difficult to approach closer :blink:.

BY 372 / EU 119

Hooded Crow - Corvus cornix

292782530_HoodedCrow.JPG.d9aef0ce002a76b4ba76825f4148c49c.JPG

976256598_HoodedCrowA.JPG.11859c8769ed0c5a87e94d585c65cbb8.JPG

Škocjanski zatok, 08.07.2018

Dave Williams

Nice additions Alex. Golden Orioles are notoriously difficult to photograph in my opinion, even more  so on a bike!

England vs Croatia next....interesting game but I'd have preferred Wales vs Slovenia in the semis!

That would be something extra, Dave. Maybe in a parallel galaxy far far away?! This time I think we will both support the same team ;).

I was not on a bike when taking that shot :D.

Edited by xelas