Michael´s Third Year

michael-ibk

Lovely additions, especially the Pratincole and the Egyptian Courser - even if it doesn't clean crocodile teeth it is a beautiful bird.

(Viewing your posts on my iPad,  the text section appears fairly narrow, and the horizontal format photos extend to the right beyond the normal edge of the content area. I don't know if this is due to sizing of your photos or to something new in Safaritalk. It does not affect my enjoyment of your photos, but it does look a bit strange.) It only effects those posted today, earlier ones look fine. I will look on my PC tomorrow to see how they look there.

Edited by TonyQ

More beautiful birds from Chad, esp the pratincole. interesting bits on the crocodile bird. at risk of creating heresy - I think theiAbyssinian roller is even more stunning than its cousin LBR. Love your photos of the queleas!

michael-ibk

@TonyQ

Thank you, you´re right. It looks ok on my PC but quite jumbled on the Ipad. No idea why that is.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

132/CH93.) Secretarybird (Sagittarius serpentarius) / Sekretär

Seen three times, but always quite distant. This photo was taken very early morning before sunrise.

BY 93 Secretarybird.JPG

michael-ibk

133/CH94.) Northern Puffback (Dryoscopus gambensis) / Gambia-Schneeballwürger

One sighting in camp.

BY 94 Norhtern Puffback.JPG

michael-ibk

134/CH95.) White-Rumped Seed-Eater (Crithagra leucopygia) / Weißbürzelgirlitz

Only seen in N´Djamena at the Hilton´s premises, none in the park.

BY 94 White-Rumped Seed-Eater.JPG

michael-ibk

135/CH96.) Masked Shrike (Lanius nubicus) / Maskenwürger

A rare palearctic migrant to Zakouma.

BY 96 Masked Shrike.JPG

michael-ibk

136/CH97.) Grey-Backed Fiscal (Lanius excubitoroides) / Graumantelwürger

Shrikes in general were quite a rare sight, we had the Masked once and two sightings of this species.

BY 97 Grey-Backed Fiscal.JPG

michael-ibk

137/CH98.) Short-Toed Snake Eagle (Circaetus gallicus) / Schlangenadler

The only Snake Eagle species we get in Europe, but more in the South and East. One sighting in the Northern part of the park (Tororo).

BY 98 Short-Toed Snake Eagle.JPG

michael-ibk

138/CH99.) Brown Snake Eagle (Circaetus cinereus) / Einfarb-Schlangenadler

A pretty common bird of prey in the park.

BY 99 Brown Snake Eagle.JPG

michael-ibk

139/CH100.) House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) / Haussperling

They really have conquered the world, haven´t they? Only in N´Djamena, none in the park. The cheeks are a bit more whitish than our European species. Could point to Italian Sparrow (a good species) but the grey crown would not fit with that.

BY 100 House Sparrow.JPG

michael-ibk

140/CH101.) Northern Grey-Headed Sparrow (Passer griseus) / Graukopfsperling

This one obviously has lost his pals - quite unusual to see one single Grey-Headed Sparrow. It was the only one all week.

BY 101 Northern Grey-Headed Sparrow.JPG

michael-ibk

141/CH102.) Black-Crowned Sparrowlark (Eremopterix nigriceps) / Weißstirnlerche

Not completely sure about the ID of this one but really cannot think of anything else it could be. (A female)

BY 102 Black-Crowned Sparrowlark.JPG

michael-ibk

142/CH103.) African Spoonbill (Platalea alba) / Afrikanischer Löffler

Quite a frequent sight, I marked them for all days but one.

BY 103 African Spoonbill.JPG

michael-ibk

Ok, now this is getting weird. I posted two Spoonbill photos in the post above but just a tiny part of it is displaying. Does anybody see the second picture?

Edited by michael-ibk

Botswanadreams

No @michael-ibk I can't see a second pic. 

I'm still wondering what happened with your pics on mobile gadgets. 

I posted new pics from India a few minutes ago and it looks normal on my phone. I upload directly from my PC with my normal size for my homepage 1200x800 pix.    

Game Warden

Okay @michael-ibk I've edited one post and deleted your follow up. For now, please start a new topic in the help subforum, thanks, Matt

Lovely additions,I really like the Fiscal.

michael-ibk

143/CH104.) Eurasian Spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia) / Löffler

-/CH105.) Garganey (Anas querquedula) / Knäkente

Very distant when the light was already gone but an interesting sighting - Zakouma is out of Eurasian Spoonbill´s range according to Birds of Africa South of the Sahara and xeno-canto. Well, and the Garganey is in the same frame so I kind of have to include it. A Northern Shoveller was also present in this area.

BY 104 European Spoonbil.JPG

michael-ibk

144/CH106.) Greater Blue-Eared Starling (Lamprotornis chalybaeus) / Grünschwanz-Glanzstar

Pretty common but not as confiding as in other areas. I´m quite sure I probably saw Lesser Blue-Eared as well but since they look all but identical I really cannot be sure.

Edit: One remark - I´m uploading my pictures directly now to go around the problems mentioned above. Works fine but for some reason the quality loss is pretty drastic. If you click on the pictures the quality is higher, the difference is quite remarkable.

BY 105 Greater Blue-Eared Starling.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

145/CH107.) Long-Tailed Glossy Starling (Lamprotornis caudatus) / Langschwanz-Glanzstar

A new one for me, a Starling of the Sahelian zone. Should also be familiar to all our recent Gambia visitors. A camp inhabitant but not a poser, it fighted heavily against having its picture taken.

large.1965885829_BY106Long-TailedGlossyS

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

146/CH108.) Black-Winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) / Stelzenläufer

Common, seen most days. Another one we will revisit in Europe.

large.1475478143_BY107Black-WingedStilt.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

147/CH109.) Yellow-Billed Stork (Mycteria ibis) / Nimmersatt

Abundant in the park. This Stork occurs in all countries South of the Sahara. No one really seems to how they came to be unflatteringly called "The one that just can´t get enough" in German, all articles I found on google just point out that it´s a bit of a mystery. One theory is based on the fact that they are waiting with their open bill in brackis water, apparently having little chance to find anything that way (in reality it´s quite effective). Their genus name was formerly "Tantalus", the poor soul from Greek mythology who was banished to Hades where water washed away every time he bended down wanting to drink and fruits always disappeared when he wanted to pluck them.

large.523037838_BY108Yellow-BilledStork.

large.441292612_BY108Yellow-BilledStorka

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

148/CH110.) African Openbill (Anastomus lamelligerus) / Mohrenklaffschnabel

Regularly seen but nowhere near as common as its Yellow-Billed cousin. Feeds mainly on snails and molluscs. It is suggested that the major adaptive advantage of the open bill is that it gives the bird convergent mandible tips, which assist in the grasping and carrying of molluscs as well as their extraction.

large.2073905267_BY109Openbill.JPG.69c72

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

149/CH111.) Saddle-Billed Stork (Ephippiorhynchus senegalensis) / Sattelstorch

One of my favourites, and delightfully common in Zakouma. Territorial birds, and they normally don´t tolerate intruders. We haven´t really witnessed that but I have read in other reports that especially later in the season one can see congregations of these birds. The yellow wattle should be absent with females (the yellow-eyed ones) but the birds in Zakouma clearly have it both.

large.2087642474_BY111Saddle-BilledStork

large.812115107_BY111Saddle-BilledStorka

Edited by michael-ibk