Michael´s Third Year

michael-ibk

michael-ibk

284/E169.) Eurasian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus scirpaceus) / Teichrohrsänger

That place again, 2/6. Unfortunately not a very cooperative individual.

large.877222325_Slowenien_16_Teichrohrsn

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

285/E170.) Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) / Zwergseeschwalbe

An exciting rarity in Austria but here in Alex´s playground they seemed to be quite common. Heavy crops:

large.Slowenien_28_Zwergseeschwalbe.JPG.

large.Slowenien_29_Zwergseeschwalbe.JPG.

michael-ibk

286/E171.) Cetti´s Warbler (Cettia cetti) / Seidensänger

Skocjanski zatok must be one of the very best places to see this incredibly loud but normally invisible bird.

large.499048094_Slowenien_36_Seidensnger

large.147496710_Slowenien_33_Seidensnger

michael-ibk

287/E172.) Black Swan (Cygnus atratus) / Trauerschwan

Maria Elend, Carinthia, 3/6. An old friend. Has lived here for many years now and is holding on well. But I always feel a bit sorry for this lonesome guy, there are lots of Mute Swans around but they never seem to allow him to mingle. I am still hopeful that one day an unlikely cross-species romance will take place and he will find a girl.:)

large.1574129882_MariaElendTrauerschwan.

Edited by michael-ibk

Try pronouncing it like Schwartzwald cake :P. Lovely Black Swann, will give him a visit soon.

michael-ibk

Summer is coming (this sounds so much cooler with winter) and it is getting hot indeed - time to get up high, into the mountains. And I was rewarded with three cool finds.

288/E173.) Alpine Chough (Pyrrhocorax graculus) / Alpendohle

21/6. Karwendelgrube. No, not one of the birds I was talking about. Very common, in winter they even get down to the city. I pretty much ignored them.

large.Karwendelgrube_61_Alpendohle.JPG.9

large.Karwendelgrube_75_Alpendohle.JPG.f

michael-ibk

289/E174.) Alpine Accentor (Prunella collaris) / Alpenbraunelle

21/6, Karwendelgrube. A close relative of the Dunnock and a true Alpine specialty. Tidbit from Wiki:  "The mating system is of particular interest. Home ranges are occupied by breeding groups of 3 or 4 males with 3 or 4 females. These are unrelated birds which have a socially polygynandrous mating system. Males have a dominance hierarchy, with the alpha males being generally older than subordinates. Females seek matings with all the males, although the alpha male may defend her against matings from lower ranking males. In turn, males seek matings with all the females. DNA fingerprinting has been used to show that, within broods, there is often mixed paternity, although the female is always the true mother of the nestlings raised within her nest. Males will provide food to chicks at several nests within the group, depending on whether they have mated with the female or not - males only provide care when they are likely to be the true fathers of the chicks. "

large.Karwendelgrube_28_Alpenbraunelle.J

large.Karwendelgrube_33_Alpenbraunelle.J

large.Karwendelgrube_35_Alpenbraunelle.J

large.Karwendelgrube_69_Alpenbraunelle.J

michael-ibk

290/E175.) White-Winged Snowfinch (Montifringilla nivalis) / Schneesperling

21/6. Karwendelgrube. Very happy about getting this one. Another true alpinist which, undeterred even by coldest conditions, very rarely ventures down to the valleys. I have seen this bird before in winter, actually they are not uncommon in skiing areas, sometimes even very tame there like House Sparrows in cities. But this was the first time I got them on a birding outing, with a camera. High on birders wish lists here.

large.Karwendelgrube_16_Schneesperling.J

large.Karwendelgrube_6_Schneesperling.JP

large.Karwendelgrube_21_Schneesperling.J

large.Karwendelgrube_39_Schneesperling.J

large.Karwendelgrube_24_Schneesperling.J

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

291/E176.) Wallcreeper (Tichodroma muraria) / Mauerläufer

Dammkar, 21/6. While I was happy about the Snowfinch I was ecstatic about this one. I knew that it is seen from time to time in that area but I was not even hoping for one. Sometimes called the "Hoopoe of the Rocks" and also known as the "Butterfly Bird".Extremely difficult to find because of their inaccessible habitat, they live in  steep, often vertical, rock precipices. A very territorial bird, while they tolerate different species they will heavily attack any intruding male, and those fights can result in serous injuries. Since it´s uncommon and tough to find there is still very little known about their behaviour.

large.865575678_Karwendelgrube_80_Mauerl

large.1394762162_Karwendelgrube_88_Mauer

large.873861041_Karwendelgrube_94_Mauerl

large.2038121550_Karwendelgrube_96_Mauer

large.209013877_Karwendelgrube_97_Mauerl

large.1978010407_Karwendelgrube_105_Maue

large.750618639_Karwendelgrube_109_Mauer

large.1844099128_Karwendelgrube_112_Maue

large.536321876_Karwendelgrube_113_Mauer

Edited by michael-ibk

Wow! Triple WOW!!! That Wallcreeper was a real treat and great addition to your ever growing Big Year, @michael-ibk!

Edited by xelas

Nice sequence of the "high altitude three." All on my target list too.

300 is in sight.

Fascinating breeding n care patterns there.  Lovely additions. 

Surpassing 500 at dec 31 , i reckon, esp as costa rica beckons?

Four great additions - excellent!

Dave Williams

If you decide to visit Bulgaria I can give you the spot for Wallcreeper in early May. Never managed the other two though. Excellent sightings!

Congrats on the wallcreeper! 

michael-ibk

Thank you - the Wallcreeper really was pure luck, I guess it will be another few years until the next one. B)

Moving down from the mountains and going North-West now - a short trip to London. Obviously not a birding outing but I did bring my old trusted bridge camera, I guess the poor thing must have been happy to get out again after collecting dust in the cupboard for so long. And I did get a few new ones so it served me well. Although the far better "sighting" was one of four lovely people - @Thursday's Child, @Zim Girl, @TonyQ and @chambersa - thanks for a great lunch and afternoon to all of you!

292/E177.) European Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) / Silbermöwe

23/6, Thames River. The "twin" of our Yellow-Legged Gull, and for a long time these two species (and a couple of others ) were considered one and the same until they were split off into separate ones in the 90ies. At least they do have distinctive traits which can actually be recognized, the leg colours are very different.

large.1108679503_London_33_Silbermwe.JPG

large.261124901_London_50_Silbermwe.JPG.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

293/E178.) Lesser Black-Backed Gull (Larus fuscus) / Heringsmöwe

Thames River, 23/6. The second common Gull in London. Confusingly in German these ones are called "Herring Gulls". I have read on a blog about birding in London that one infamous individual has specialized in killing Pigeons in Hyde Park. :ph34r:

large.500829207_London_8_Heringsmwe.JPG.

Maybe this one is Gull-the-Ripper?

large.606967656_London_13_Heringsmwe.JPG

michael-ibk

294/E179.) Rose-Ringed Parakeet (Psitticula krameri) / Halsbandsittich

St. James Park, 23/6. Obviously not a UK native but (like in many other European cities) they have been around and breeding for decades now so they are certainly a "tickable" species. Nobody knows for sure which escapees birds were the source of the British population which numbers more than 30,000 now. Wiki: "Consistent with the first widespread photographs of the birds in the mid-1990s are multiple theories that a pair or more breeding parakeets escaped and/or were released. More specific introduction theories have been published such as that:

Romantic theories associated with film studios and rock stars are considered fanciful, however, and most ornithologists believe that the original birds probably escaped from aviaries before 1971.

There is mention of them in George Orwell's 'A Clergyman's Daughter', first published 1935, in a conversation between homeless people in Trafalgar Square, though coconut palms are mentioned too.

In terms of geographic origin, the British birds are considered a hybrid population of two Asian subspecies, P.k. borealis and P.k. manillensis."

They are actually not that easy to get (with a bridge camera anyway) since they are moving fast and normally higher up in the trees. But they have discovered people as food sources, and cannot resist some good peanuts. It seems if you go to St. James Park with some nuts in your hand they will all but land on you - and sometimes they even perch on people´s hands.

large.London_44_Halsbandsittich.JPG.0e4c

large.London_48_Halsbandsittich.JPG.1c35

large.London_49_Halsbandsittich.JPG.a3c0

St. James Park is a tempting place for the Big Year, an incredible number of species around.

large.2020651652_StJamesPark.JPG.bcb3ae0

Including some real goodies like Bar-Headed or Red-Breasted Goose ...

large.215740725_London_22_Rothalsgansa.J

... but all of these do not count since they are basically like Zoo birds with clipped wings - there are even Pelicans.

Even the Squirrels behave like pets here.

large.1593964065_London_45_Eichhrnchena.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

295/E180.) Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) / Kanadagans

Hyde Park, 24/6. Hyde Park has no waterfowl collection so the birds here are all "wild", although incredibly habituated. Mallards, Greylags, Egyptians, Swans, they are all just standing around between all the park visitors and do not seem to mind the human presence at all.

large.London_81_Kanadagans.JPG.2aa388be8

large.717357941_HydePark.JPG.7c0d9c02732

large.1927110031_Kanadagans2.JPG.e10c5d6

large.London_51_Kanadagans.JPG.c41269625

michael-ibk

296/E181.) Common Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) / Teichhuhn

St. James and Hyde Park, 23/6. City folks will have a hard time believing this but Moorhens are very difficult to get for me. I have seen them a couple of times this year but they are very shy and retreat deep inside the reed the second they realize they are being watched. Their behaviour could not be more different in city parks where they have completely lost their fear of humans.

large.London_21_Teichhuhn.JPG.c11e083b87

large.London_56_Teichhuhn.JPG.13e187fa03

I was particularly surprised to see that obviously they are even breeding in the small Italian Water Gardens in Kensington Park.

large.1852800354_KensingtonPark.JPG.574f

large.London_69_Teichhuhn.JPG.bf0948a644

large.London_62_Teichhuhn.JPG.50c207b41d

Nice collection from your visit to London.  The ST sighting sounded fun especially with lunch added..

Some great London additions, a very cute Moorhen baby, and it was a very enjoyable lunch!

300 is very close....

double post

Edited by TonyQ

Peter Connan

Great stuff! 

Always prepared, @michael-ibk! And what a ST GTG it was, so many participants! Plus a lovely day in London ... lucky you are.