Michael´s Third Year

michael-ibk

Well done with the Water Rail- great shots out in the open. The Crossbill is very colourful.

Sorry to hear about you camera. Was it the rain and humidity? 

600 seems to be in sight.

Thanks, @TonyQ. Yes, exactly - the sealing is coming off everywhere and the fast wheel on top is loose and is only functioning when I buy it flowers and say "please baby".:unsure:

Some really good progress Michael!

Hope they get the 7D back on the road.

Great photos again. Top marks to the Water Rail in the open. Sorry about the camera. Hope she gets better soon.

Also love the Water Rail pictures.  I have never seen one but hoping to try and find one before the year's out.

Ohh, shame about your camera, hope repairs don't take too long.

Thanks everybody, I hope so too. Even though I´ve had it sent in to Canon 10 days ago they haven´t even given me an estimate of the repair costs yet.^_^

573/E205.) Ruddy Shelduck (Tadorna ferruginea) / Rostgans

Lake Constance, 5 & 10/10. Not a native but sightings are becoming more and more common. It´s a migratory bird, breeding in South-Eastern Europe and Central Asia and wintering in the Indian subcontinent. Feral Shelduck have bred successfully in several European countries. In Switzerland (less than 1 km away from this sighting) the ruddy shelduck is considered an invasive species that threatens to displace native birds. It´s an agressive bird which tries to drive off all other ducks from its breeding grounds  Despite actions taken to reduce numbers, the population there increased from 211 to 1250 individuals in the period from 2006 to 2016.

large.Rhein_168_Rostgans_uva.JPG.77c69ee

As you can see, no shortage of Ducks at Lake Constance.

large.Rhein_308_Rostgans.JPG.ca70ec38d80

Couple more from my last outings there:

large.Rhein_214_Bekassine.JPG.52f3834892

Common Snipe

large.Rhein_220_Schwarzkehlchen.JPG.8bc2

Stonechat

large.Rhein_230_Bartmeise.JPG.70e7ae9766

large.Rhein_217_Bartmeise.JPG.bb7af973af

And my faves, the Bearded Reedlings. Plenty of them around.

Edited by michael-ibk

574/E206.) Grey Plover (Pluvialis squatarola) / Kiebitzregenpfeifer

Lake Constance, 12/10. A pretty rare bird in Austria, only seen during migration. Usually late autumn is a good time for them, and this was true this year as well. I found nine of them, six of them together which is a bit unusual since Grey Plovers are solitary birds and tend to move alone or in very small flocks. Unfortunately all of them kept their distance.

large.Rhein_289_Kiebitzregenpfeifer.JPG.

I had much more photo fun with this very obliging Dunlin. I sat down at the shore when I saw two of them. After a while they started to ignore me and approached closer and closer to me until this one was within metres. As confiding as it was this one has to be a juvenile which has not yet learned to fear humans.

large.882454737_Rhein_73_Alpenstrandlufe

Dave Williams

I haven't got a Dunlin yet either and they are common around here!

I have been waiting to get a close up but that's a whole different ball game. Well done on yours Michael, excellent capture.

Indeed, a lovely shot!

@michael-ibkLooks like an opportunity for trade. Swap you one goldie for a 'silver'.

I find Dunlin quite approachable if you let them come to you by sitting still.

Nice portrait.

Edited by Galana

Very good Dunlin shot! 

575/E207.) Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) / Mäusebussard

Stubaital, 14/10; Chiemsee, 24/3, and Lake Constance, 5/10. I´m giving up on getting a good one. Our most common raptor by far, I see them almost every day, often very close to the road but they are very wary and don´t like to pose at all.

large.178043922_Eulenwiesen_1_Musebussar

large.163271832_Chiemsee_17_Musebussard.

large.737345102_Rhein_126_Musebussard.JP

18 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

I´m giving up on getting a good one

Those are good enough, for me anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, maybe I´m too picky, and yes, there are lots of species I have worse pictures of (some of them coming up soon) but I do find Buzzards really frustrating - last Sunday I think I saw 20 of them, most of them very close to the road. I´m positive they always perch where they know I just can´t stop for them because of traffic and then they laugh about me and jape that, no, I will never get a close-up. :-)

576/E208.) Eurasian Penduline Tit (Remiz pendulinus) / Beutelmeise

Maria Elend, Carinthia, 3/11. A good catch for me yesterday, quite a difficult bird to get here. Penduline Tits are very localised birds, they favour lakeside and riverine swampy vegetation and a good mixture of emergent vegetation, including reeds, with reedmace, poplars and willows. There are only a couple of confirmed breeding areas for them in Austria. They are not very well researched and so there is even uncertainty about their movements but it is believed that most birds in our area migrate to the Mediterranean in Winter.

large.41569328_MariaElend_1_Bartmeise.JP

large.1231839272_MariaElend_11_Bartmeise 

18 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

most of them very close to the road. I´m positive they always perch where they know I just can´t stop for them

I share the pain.

I think there are two sub species. One that hides and flushes just as you get close before you see it, and another that perches in the open so you see it from a distance and slow down early for a shot when it waits until just before you focus before flying off with a chuckle.

It looks as though your Penduline Tit is doing the same. Nice capture.

577/E209.) Common Linnet (Linnaria cannabina) / Bluthänfling

Lake Constance, 12/10. A much more attractive bird in breeding season when the males show a lot of red on head and breast. While not really endangered globally this species is sharply declining in Austria - another victim of "efficient" agriculture. If you are a Eurovision fan a little fun fact for you: 2014´s runner-ups (to our Conchita Wurst) "The Common Linnets" are indeed named after his bird.

large.1423393730_Rhein_205_Bluthnfling.J

578/E210.) Eurasian Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) / Sperber

Lake Kerkini, Greece, 18/3. More rejects from the archives in my desperate attempt to reach 600. I know, some of you have these cool little raptors in your gardens but I only see them very, very rarely, so I doubt I´ll be able to get a better picture in the remaining two months.

large.Kerkini_400_Sperber.JPG.19d3cc5104

579/E211.) Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros) / Hausrotschwanz

Ramsgrubensee, Tirol, 30/9/2018. A common bird up high in the mountains in summer. A migratory bird which travels to Southern Europe and Northern Africa in Winter but more and more of them seem to stay even in the cold months but more so in the lowlands.

large.Ramsgrubensee_3_Hausrotschwanz.JPG

580/E212.) European Robin (Erithacus rubecula) / Rotkehlchen

Lake Kerkini, Greece, 17/3, and Fiumicino, Italy, 10/11. Arguably one of Europe´s most popular birds, especially in the UK. An old British folk tale seeks to explain the Robin's distinctive breast. Legend has it that when Jesus was dying on the cross, the Robin, then simply brown in colour, flew to his side and sang into his ear in order to comfort him in his pain. The blood from his wounds stained the Robin's breast, and thereafter all Robins got the mark of Christ's blood upon them. Interestingly a very similar legend is known here in Middle Europe but not for Robins but our Common Crossills (see last page): Not only is their colour a result of the blood of Christ but even the shape of their bills an outcome of their role in the crucification. They tried to remove the nails with them and got deformed in that process.

large.Kerkini_295_Rotkehlchen.JPG.f641fc

large.Rom_23_Rotkehlchen.JPG.77e4c30fb1d

Dave Williams

A Robin at 580 and in November. Can't be bad! 600 can't be far away.Go for it!

An end to the brilliant and colourful South American chapter but a beginning to the BIG 6-00. Go, Michael, GO! your hard work ethos and that determined glint in your sharp eyes will make mincemeat of that threshold.

Love that story about the robin. 

Ah @michael-ibk, so close! I do hope (and trust) you'll find 20 more. What a great story about the Robin and the Crossbill!

581/E213.) Hen Harrier (Circus cyaneus) / Kornweihe

Seewinkel, 28/10. I used a working trip to Vienna to snatch some birding time at Seewinkel, our best birding destination here in Austria, hoping to get some winter guests. My timing could have been better, the weather sucked, and just one week later 1000s of Cranes would arrive, along with all the White-Fronted Geese, and some seriously good rarities like Brent Goose, Pink-Footed Goose, Red-Breasted Goose and even a Sociable Lapwing, only the 14th ever record for Austria. And my efforts with my spare 70d really made me appreciate my 7d more than ever before - fortunately, I got it back from Canon one week ago, good as new (hopefully). For repair costs of EUR 400,-- it should be.B)

Anyway, back to this click: Hen Harriers breed farther North but are regular winter guests in Austria, especially in the lowlands. It used to be a breeding bird over much of Middle Europe but has long since gone extinct as such in most countries here.

large.Seewinkel_65_Kornweihe.JPG.b1cb755

large.Seewinkel_7_Kornweihe.JPG.e8910a87

large.Seewinkel_4_Kornweihe.JPG.7b4b4282

Edited by michael-ibk

582/E214.) Great Grey Shrike (Lanius excubitor) / Raubwürger

Seewinkel, 28/10. Breeding generally takes place North of 50° Northern latitude in Europe but this bird is another regular arrival in the cold season - again generally in the lowlands only. Occassionaly, even animals as large as young Stoats are devoured by Shrikes.

large.1503299160_Seewinkel_78_Raubwrger.