Michael´s Third Year

michael-ibk

Beautiful scenery photos of the Alps, @michael-ibk ! I can see why you love your home ground!

597/E229.) Mistle Thrush (Turdus viscidorus) / Misteldrossel

Seewinkel, 28/10. Standard procedure for this species - I´ve never been able to get a good shot of one, and this year has been no exception.

large.Seewinkel_46_Misteldrossel.JPG.2e7

Michael, I know the feeling! I might have to have a rummage in my own EBC drawer, as I really want to get to 250 this time!

598/E230.) Black-Throated Loon (Gavia arctica) / Prachttaucher

Lake Starnberg, 22/11. A Big Year first for me, and even a planned one! Loons are arctic breeders and a rare sight inland of Europe but some are known to winter on our alpine foothill lakes. Lake Starnberg is probably the best-known place for them so I decided to try my luck. I did see several, but the problem is they tend to stay far out on the water. I was already consigned to the fact that a barely-recognizable ebc-shot would have to do when one had mercy on me when I was already on the way back to the car.

large.Starnberg_11_Prachttaucher.JPG.925

large.Starnberg_7_Prachttaucher.JPG.ddbb

Edited by michael-ibk

599/E232.) Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) / Wanderfalke

Gaisau (Tirol), 25/11. A complete surprise on a walk last Sunday - I was not even sure what I had photographed until I checked on the computer. The very first time I´ve seen a Peregrine in Austria so I was absolutely delighted. A real record holder, this is the fastest animal in the world, its speed has been clocked at a dashing 398 km/h! Also the naturally most widespread bird, there are very few corners on this planet where they could not pop up.

large.Gaisau_3_Wanderfalke.JPG.8c5746422

large.Gaisau_2_Wanderfalke.JPG.164883288

large.Gaisau_7_Wanderfalke.JPG.350ae0eb1

Edited by michael-ibk

600/E233.) Willow Tit (Poecile montanus) / Weidenmeise

Oberbergtal (Tirol), 7/10. I´m afraid I´ve run out of spectacular birds this late in the game for a centennial but at least this nice chap was gentle enough to pose in close proximity for me.

large.Oberbergtal_10_Weidenmeise.JPG.4de

Mission #600 achieved - phew, now I can rest again. B)

Gong.JPG.ae12ea3f47f8db2cd50618bd12a2deb9.JPG

Well done and welcome to the 600 Club @michael-ibk.

Sorry the image is a British one but it serves the purpose.

Congratulations on reaching this magic number, @michael-ibk ! And You threw in some great sightings and photos in your last additions. Loon and Peregrine perfectly caught!

Welcome to 600, Michael! I knew you can do it! maybe the Willow Tit is not a spectacular bird but your photo of Willow Tit is spectacular one.

Very hearty congratulations from me too Michael!

Well done Michael, a great achievement and a great effort.

Brilliant!

Brilliant achievement getting to 600, Michael.

Love the peregrine and really nice close up of the willow tit for the big number!

Dave Williams

Brilliant, well done Michael 600 is indeed a remarkable score and the photographs in it are of the highest standard...mostly! We all need an entry for EBC of the Year!

The pictures of the Alps are beautiful and  the log cabin reminded me of an experience walking in Slovenia somewhere near Kranska Gora. We came across a wooden shelter that was just a roof built using surrounding pine trees as support, a rough hewn table and bench was underneath and as we entered the clearing where it was built we could smell the woodsmoke from the fire over which a huge cast iron pot hung from a tripod. On offer was home-made soup from locally harvested wild mushrooms, to accompany it a wedge of bread and an ice cold beer ( they did have a generator to run the fridge which maybe wasn't quite as rustic as it might be) It was one of the most memorable occasions I have experience on any trips anywhere. Magical!

• 1 month later...

To conclude this Big Year, the last three:

601/234.) Smew (Mergellus albellus) / Zwergsäger

Maria Elend, 25/12. A first for me - I had read on ornitho that one had been around in the area so tried my luck and fortunately managed to find it. Quite far off but ebc as we all know. An arctic breeder and a very rare winter guest in inland Europe. Closely related to the Goldeneye and often hybridises with that species.

Maria Elend_16_Zwergsäger.JPG

Zwergsäger 2.JPG

602/E235.) Coal Tit (Peripatus ater) / Tannenmeise

Oberbergtal (Tirol), 7/10. This used to be a guest at our feeders but our neighbour felled an old Spruce in his garden. This must have been their home because they haven´t been seen in our garden since unfortunately.

Oberbergtal_4_Tannenmeise.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

Great Smew find and it's never too late.

But did we not see Coal tit on our joint walk along the Gschnitzbach?

Edited by Galana
Additonal text.

603/E236.) Crested Tit (Lophophanes cristatus) / Haubenmeise

Eulenwiesen (Tirol), 18/11. My favourite Tit, so a good bird to cap this Big Year off.

Eulenwiesen_98_Haubenmeise.JPG.b0ba4e192caa7c76b56fe2e84a3a3c30.JPG

I´m quite surprised that this turned out to be my "best" one so far but obviously I had underestimated Costa Rica´s firepower. And I am quite pleased with my European count, obviously our trip to Romania and two days in Greece helped with that very much. So let´s see what 2019 will bring.

3 minutes ago, Galana said:

But did we not see Coal tit on our joint walk along the Gschnitzbach?

We did  but I haven´t posted pictures so far.

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

We did  but I haven´t posted pictures so far.

Ha ha! Always waiting for the perfect shot and then forgetting to post the early one when it does not come?

Same day as the Crested Tit too.

I think your 2Silver medal is safe.

Well done Michael, an excellent Big Year and a joy to follow

Congrats on surpassing 600! I've enjoyed your BY  immensely especially with the South American birds.  So more west African feathered ones this year then to boost your count,  that is hopefully if the BY  threads can continue.....

Lovely, lovely Crested Tit, @michael-ibk! Great end to a great Big Year 2018! See you in BY 2019; hopefully @Game Warden will open the new Big Year soon, I have birds to be posted :D.