The Gambia – A first Visit (january 2018)

TonyQ

michael-ibk

Thanks for this splendid report, Tony - I am very tempted indeed!

On 4/3/2018 at 0:39 PM, TonyQ said:

I have never seen a Whimbrel in a tree before either! Yes we did have a very good time.

Me neither until The Gambia. Incredible. @Kitsafari

Perfectly safe but meals can be 'lonely' and nobody to share a bottle of wine with.

@TonyQ

I wish I had seen this report on Mandina before I went. Two heads better than one.

Livetowander

Wow, great report and gorgeous photos! I'm another one who is now finding The Gambia to be very tempting. Thanks .

• 2 weeks later...
Peter Connan

Magnificent photos and great info!

Too many beautiful and interesting birds to mention, but I really enjoyed the drinking squirrel and the shy Duiker.

Thank you.

Alexander33

@TonyQ

Thanks so much for a most enjoyable report. What an interesting experience. You’ve put another destination on my list!

gatoratlarge

Wow!  Beautiful birds---and the red colobus have quite a distinct look from the ones i've seen in East/Central Africa...thanks for sharing!

• 5 months later...

A bit late, but great report and excellent photograhy @TonyQ ! I'm just browsing through some trip reports in preparation for our own ( first-time) visit to TG coming up in a few weeks' time, and you have certainly whetted our appetites! Thanks for posting this

Edited by PeterHG

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

How did I miss all this! Great report Tony, you had some great sightings and excellent shots to boot.I'm seriously thinking of organising a get together in 12 months time (Nov'19) if anyone is interested. It would include a 3 or 4 night  trip up river to see some of the specialities such as Egyptian Plover but the standard of accommodation is 1* if I'm honest. The birding trips could be organised within a 7 day window, the rest up to the individuals to book a package or flight and hotel combination to cover that window.Choice of accommodation at the coast is then open to personal preference. Anyway, it's a plan that may or may not come to fruition, we'll see.