Bush dog

@mtanenbaum

Thanks a lot for your comments!

I am not a professional photographer.

Honestly speaking, in Botswana and Zimbabwe, you will never see, in green season, so much animals as in the Mara.  If, despite every thing and "plenty of animals" is not primordial,  you decide to go to Hwange, I would advice you to stay 5 nights at the same place, Camp Hwange or one of the Wilderness camps, Little Makalolo or Linkwasha.  Little Mak is cheaper.  That will allow your game drives to cover a wide territory, going from Gweshla to Ngamo, the biggest part of it being the Wilderness private concession, and thus more chances to see a greater diversity of animals.  Gweshla and Ngamo are public areas.  At Ngamo, you can find large concentrations of gnus and zebras and also lions.  Camp Hwange is, for a lot of personal reasons, my favorite.  I will certainly not go to Somalisa, not very productive in the green season.  Wherever you go, you will see a lot of birds and like in the Mara beautiful colors.

Well, if you need more information, please ask.  

offshorebirder

Catching up again on this report after some time at sea - great stuff @Bush dog!

I specially love the Hueglin's Courser and the sequence of the Saddle-billed Stork eating the unlucky frog. 

Alexander33

Just a lovely, very personal report, as always.  Thank you. Obviously, the cheetah photos were standouts, but since we all have our quirks, may I add that the kori bustard in flight was really intriguing to me?  I know they say it’s the largest flying bird, but I’ve never actually seen one in flight, and I don’t recall seeing a photo of one in flight here on Safaritalk, either.  Oh, well, variety is the spice of life, no?

@Alexander33

Indeed, variety is the spice of life.  Variety is always present on safari.  That's why safari is also the spice of life!

"First of all, more than 25% of the images in this topic show cheetahs"

Is that all?  Great start for cheetahs and more!

You went "last third of March"?  That's generally not top wildlife vieiwing.  You turned that idea on its head.  

Love the birds too.  You caught them eating grasshoppers, frogs, and spider webs.

Are cheetahs gaining a greater foothold in Linkwasha? 

Edited by Atravelynn

@Atravelynn

Thanks, Lynn, for your comments and yes, that's all.

I do not really know if cheetahs are gaining a greater foothold in Linkwasha but my impression is instead that their number is stable. 

Cheetah stability is always good to have!

• 3 weeks later...
kilopascal

I'm a bit late to this TR @Bush dogbut it's fantastic.  My absolute favorite photo is the hamerkop.  Although it's hard to choose with so many stunning photos.  

@kilopascal

Better later than never, isn't it?  Anyway, thanks a lot for your comments!

as always, I thoroughly enjoyed your report. Your love for hwange really shine through your photos. Hwange and mana are still places i have yet to go. One day, i will make it and see for myself all those scenes in your images. So thanks for sharing.

@Kitsafari

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Do not wait too long to go there.  I think that, with the new rapid growth of tourism in Zimbabwe, prices will quickly increase.

madaboutcheetah
On 7/12/2018 at 3:42 PM, Bush dog said:

@Kitsafari

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Do not wait too long to go there.  I think that, with the new rapid growth of tourism in Zimbabwe, prices will quickly increase.

I'd better get to Hwange quick too Mike... High on my list after all your fabulous reports and images.