Botswana Botswana Explorer’s route 2018: What could possibly go wrong?

Peter Connan

Although I will never ever attempt anything like this, I was wondering: who cooks? Did you all share a grill and the food? Or does each car/family take care of their own food supplies and food prep? 

Peter Connan

@Elsa Hoffmann, not sure of your definition of a set of fuses. I want to have at least one fuse of every amperage, and more of the ones the car commonly uses. They live permanently in the ashtray. From the big ones for the dual battery system down.

Whenever something electrical goes wrong, the fuse box is the first port of call.

@xyz99, as previously mentioned this trip was semi-catered, thus the guide and his crew did a lot of the cooking. On those occasions when we had to cook our own dinners, we mostly shared the communal fire, but with each family making their own food. Breakfasts and lunches were an even more lonely affair, with most using their own gas cookers or just eating cold food (tuna salad is a great quick lunch).

Elsa Hoffmann

Thanks @Peter Connan I will have to put those on the shopping list. Maybe someone will know what to do with them :P

Peter Connan

@Elsa Hoffmann, fuses are really simple.

On most cars, the lid of the fuse box has a legend telling you which fuse does what, but the simplest way is just to pull each fuse in turn and look at it. Normally, one can see if it has blown. If you want to be really sure, you can test them with a multimeter set om resisatance (the greek Ohm symbol).

A multimeter is another tool that lives permanantly in my car, and that I have forgotten to mention.

To get them out, most cars have a special little plastic tong in the lid of the fuse box. If it has been stolen or lost, a pair of needle-nose pliers or Leatherman-type tool does the job just as well.

I've come late to finish two-thirds of the report in one go. phew what an adventure. sorry the rains and floods literally got in your way, and that Alex fell ill, but you are now both well and, I bet, all up for yet another self-drive epic adventure in Botswana again!

thanks for sharing the trip - thoroughly enjoyed hearing two different voices of it. 

Thanks for reading @Kitsafari! In my case, it is more likely that another self-drive adventure will be in Borneo :)!

@xelas that will be a truly epic adventure!

2 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

@xelas that will be a truly epic adventure!

Well, not as epic as the Botswana one was, at least judged on our year 200 Borneo self-driving experiences :rolleyes:. However we did drive mostly around Kota Kinabalu, and have been shuttled to Kinabatangan and around..

There are still stories about me driving around KK that are told around the local campfire :D (local = my family)

Dave Williams

Great report, and great photos made even more interesting when it comes from two viewpoints. However, I have to say it's not for me. I have no interest in all things mechanical and don't see driving as being a challenge through an obstacle course but hat's off to those who want to take it on. We start our three vehicle camping tour in less than 4 weeks time and I hope we don't breakdown once never mind having to have the knowledge of how to get out of a hole either mechanical or in the ground!

I wish you trouble-free trip, @Dave Williams! But just in case, do practise changing rear left tyre while at home :D.

Peter Connan

@Dave Williams, i too wish you a trouble-free trip. And also an enjoyable one!

offroadbiker

Thanks Peter and Alex, this literally brought back the trip as if it we are still busy with itB)

Despite the few "setbacks" it was still an epic one, and definitely learned a few lessons in the process. 

Clearly I am not a bird looker outer as I did not see a 10th of these bird on the trip:(, something I must work on.

Glad to say that my vehicle seems to be sorted and ready for my next trip to Bots in Aug, traveling solo I will stay off the road less traveled ie the Selinda spilway, but already busy with the 2019 planning to do this trip again, only difference a smaller group and doing in the opposite direction.

Peter Connan

Welkom Dirk @offroadbiker.

• 2 months later...
Elsa Hoffmann

@Tom Kellie your post is one of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen. wow. @Peter Connan your thread was worthy of Tom's post. I cant recall if I ever looked forward to the next installment in any forum as I did to this one.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much for your kind words, not to mention your beautiful sketches @Tom Kellie.

Thanks for your kind words too @Elsa Hoffmann