Atravelynn

Another sick trip - Ethiopia doesn't let anyone off it seems. Fabulously successful though, given your reasonable expectations. What a collection of ibex and gelada shots you have now. 

I hope you didn't forget that TripAdvisor review. Sounds like a top guy! :P

On 7/23/2018 at 2:09 PM, Sangeeta said:

Super report, Lynn! Sodata has just climbed many vertical spots up on my list of places :)

After so few ET reports in the initial years, it is wonderful to see so many fantastic ones coming on one after another.  The new prime minister, Abiy Ahmed, has been making great strides which will make Ethiopia a safe and more attractive destination. Your photographs are astonishing, but that stalking wolf was my hands down favorite! Thanks again.  As usual, photos don't do the wolves or their environment justice.  Thanks Sangeeta!

On 7/24/2018 at 1:25 AM, pault said:

:) So good! I forgot about the "trouble" that wasn't really..... and produced those weight shots that should be framed and placed above your fireplace at home. How you could wait so many months to share those with us I do not know.  I've been building that fireplace.

Webb Valley looks so lovely.

It seems almost sad that the honey gathered so carefully was devoured so greedily and quickly - but it isn't sad really.  I merely sampled the delicacy daintily with pinkies out.  No slurping I swear.

Love all the photos of wolves - and the mole rats too (probably slightly less the baby being killed by crows, but I would never have known otherwise).

Yes, this seems like a very short report for Atravelynn, but it is epic. I'm working on concise.  I'll do the Simiens with you a bit later. I'll join you.  Let's stay healthy, though.

On 7/24/2018 at 7:57 PM, sek07 said:

@Atravelynnthanks for this- as always really well written and I learned a lot, signs of a good report.  I don't know why I didn't think that serval, caracal, even warthogs were in Ethiopia (I assume hyenas are everywhere!).  and hearing the lions must have been thrilling- I had read that lions had been photographed in camera traps last year in  a very remote area.  Hope they are thriving.  and signs of leopard!!  thrilling  Sometimes signs rather than actual sightings can indeed be equally thrilling.

we were in Oman how exciting! this past spring and saw tracks of hyena, caracal, wild cat and we saw Arabian gazelle and may have had a sighting of a wolf but we were unable to confirm whether or not it was a feral dog.  we also found porcupine quills.  and we had no idea any of those were there before we left for the trip. 

thats why I love this site so much     Right you are!

Edited by Atravelynn

22 hours ago, pault said:

Another sick trip - Ethiopia doesn't let anyone off it seems. Fabulously successful though, given your reasonable expectations.  Fabulous enough of a trip to use the term sick like Taylor Swift does in "this sick beat."  What a collection of ibex and gelada shots you have now. 

I hope you didn't forget that TripAdvisor review. Sounds like a top guy! :P

The "top guy" was not mentioned by name there, but I did fully disclose here.  My sincere hope is that this was a lesson learned and I hope it did not cost him his profession.  I also hope he gets his own pair of binos through legal means. 

Alexander33
On 7/11/2018 at 1:03 PM, Atravelynn said:

For this 2018 trip I was looking for something a little more off the grid and extreme. And I got it.

Yes, it certainly sounds like you did!

Those wolves certainly are handsome, and your photos of them are just great. How close were you able to get to them?  In most of the photos I’ve usually seen of the wolves, they are just a distant dot on the rocky terrain. 

Love the Walia Ibexes as well. Such soulful eyes. You really had a special sighting there. And let me give a small shout out to that Emerald Cuckoo. Spectacular plumage, and a first for me. 

I think the fascinating cultural sights in Ethiopia hold as much appeal from me as anything. It’s a country that deserves a thorough visit. Someday I hope!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Another great trip report!

On 7/26/2018 at 6:39 PM, Alexander33 said:

And let me give a small shout out to that Emerald Cuckoo. Spectacular plumage, and a first for me.... It’s a country that deserves a thorough visit.

Birding alone can be a big draw for Ethiopia. This trip and report is not bird-centric, but the possibilities are definitely there, especially with a few tweaks to the itinerary.  Lake Langano was a fab birding site, not on the itinerary this year.   Abiy would be the guide to use for that.

For that "thorough visit," block out 6 months or several trips.  :D