kilopascal

Hi @vikramghanekar I have not been to Ndutu during the long dry season.  I have been 2 other times.  Once during May, right after the rains, and once in the first week of January, and it was a short trip both times.  I saw cheetah during both of these but not in the numbers that I saw this time, but that may have just been because of the duration of stay.  The January trip was particularly good with lots of elephant in small marsh and many baby lions.  I think @mapumbowill be there for a short period this August?  He might have more info.  According to George, its always a great place to go.  Lions always there as well as cheetah, although they have a much bigger range obviously.

Thanks @pault I appreciate the compliment, particularly since I am an avid @paultstalker.

I think there were only 7 different cheetah in the end, but we saw all of them, except the lone male hunting for his brother, on multiple occasions.

West Kili was an awesome surprise and I would absolutely return. 

On 7/18/2018 at 1:33 PM, kilopascal said:

I have been 3 times I think.  Never this awesome but I think the key is the length of stay.  A lot of people, including myself, just go through for 2 or 3 days on a tour including the Serengeti.  Staying longer allows you to experience what it really has to offer.  9 days might be a bit much for some people but I would certainly recommend at least 5. I will be back again in December but only for 3 days.  We will see what is in store.

I have been to Ndutu twice, in Feb. 2014 and in March 2016, each time staying for 10 nights. My next trip is scheduled for this November, again for 10 nights. Wouldn't Ndutu any other way.

@ice That may be Safaritalk’s worst pun ever! And that is a real achievement - congratulations! :D

10 nights in November seems ambitious! Should be beautifully quiet though.

@pault Why do 10 nights in November seem ambitious to you? 

Nothing @ice I think ambitious can be a good thing!! No doubt you have reasons and good hope.

I went end of October and it was very dry snd very quiet -in all ways. Might have taken some time to find things. Other years you’ll get a bit more rain and at least it’ll be a bit less of a dust bowl. Not that I wouldn’t want to do it -I like that kind of quiet. I just doubt many would do it for 10 days. 

well, it will be a new experience, no doubt about. In Feb and March I had to put up with all the flies, now it might be the dust. Fact is, high season rates for the lodge and entrance fees into the NCA have risen considerably. At the same time the exchange rate between € and $ took a fall (for us Europeans). And since I prefer and need a private vehicle, I had to book for the low season. Good thing is, during my previous two trips I have seen so many cheetahs, hunts and kills that I will most likely not be disappointed if sightings in November are lower.

• 3 weeks later...

So many fantastic cheetah encounters! I also really liked the lion in the water on the second page.

That's quite a drama that played out between cheetah and hyena with regard to the fawn.

This TR has really shown the benefit of staying in one spot for more than just a couple of days - you got to see so much in Ndutu!

• 1 month later...

Just got the chance to read this report - thank you, it was great and looks like you had a great trip! Like others, I thought the caracal was fantastic - never seen one, really want to, and keep hearing people seeing them in Ndutu so I may have to make a trip there!

• 5 months later...

West Kili was a fine choice, even in green season.  Did you know that's what you're supposed to call it?  Not rainy season?  I was sternly corrected one time by a safari legend for using rainy instead of green.  Anyway,  I had always read that you should go about July.  You're right it really is beautiful in March.  Those were some nice lesser kudu, plus gerenuk.  And the mountain shows up.  Happy ending with a clean car.  Glad I finally found the conclusion to this report!  You have given me something to think about with West Kilimanjaro.  Of course the Ndutu part is exciting as well.

Edited by Atravelynn