Botswana Mobile Safari with Alwyn Myburgh

Alex The Lion

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 10:52 AM, Alex The Lion said:

@penolva He has just setup a new company, and is now trading through https://www.originsbotswana.com

He has a business partner working in Maun, who handles bookings etc.

I been friends and guided by Alwyn for years. This last safari was booked through a quick few Whatsapp messages :rolleyes:

Hi again. I have been in touch and it's looking good. The only thing I need is more info on the camp set up. Do you have photographs of the tents etc. What food did you have? Was it plain simple food or high quality? The reason I ask is that I have three companies quotes and its coming down to comfort and quality. All have guides that are well regarded, can book into Boga and Hatab campsites and have similar vehicles. Thanks Pen

Alex The Lion
On 9/5/2019 at 3:11 PM, penolva said:

Hi again. I have been in touch and it's looking good. The only thing I need is more info on the camp set up. Do you have photographs of the tents etc. What food did you have? Was it plain simple food or high quality? The reason I ask is that I have three companies quotes and its coming down to comfort and quality. All have guides that are well regarded, can book into Boga and Hatab campsites and have similar vehicles. Thanks Pen

@penolva

I don't have any food or camp images, unfortunately.

As I understand, the mobiles (like most operators) can be operated on 3 levels of comfort/quality (not the guiding etc, but the food/camp/tents etc) All I can say, Alwyn catered for everything I needed. I live on a Ketogenic diet, and was happy with the avocado salads and other high fat/low carb options he provided. When I give a background of the trip below, you will see that when travelling alone, I prefer the more basic option, as it makes me feel more disconnected from reality.

On a previous trip with my wife, she felt the food on the mobile safari was superior to that served at Kwando (Lebala, Lagoon and Little Kwara) on the same trip. The quality of dauphinoise still gets discussed in our household today.

Background: 

1. The initial drive into Moremi was in a closed 4 x 4, which I appreciated. It made the journey more comfortable and quicker, though I am sure the option is there for a game viewer to be used. We then swapped into the game drive vehicle for the rest of the safari, and drove out again in the closed 4x4 from Khwai. 

2.  The only time I was in camp during daylight was on the final morning, Alwyn was more than happy to accommodate long hours and catching a siesta parked next to the wild dogs or elephant drinking spot.

3.  Our general schedule meant we were out before sunrise and back after dark. Mornings are quick for me, as I intermittent fast and in the evening, after such a long, I was ready for a quick bite and straight to bed. (I think Alwyn had probably had enough of my chat by then!)

4. I had hot water available for a shower and wash every morning/night.

5. It was more than comfortable on a simple camp bad, and there were lights provided inside the tent. (Plus anything is easier than living in a fox hole in the Brecon Beacons)

Feel free to PM me if you to ask any more questions.

I should really add a few more images, after all, I have been sitting on this TR for almost a year!

4 hours ago, Alex The Lion said:

@penolva

I don't have any food or camp images, unfortunately.

As I understand, the mobiles (like most operators) can be operated on 3 levels of comfort/quality (not the guiding etc, but the food/camp/tents etc) All I can say, Alwyn catered for everything I needed. I live on a Ketogenic diet, and was happy with the avocado salads and other high fat/low carb options he provided. When I give a background of the trip below, you will see that when travelling alone, I prefer the more basic option, as it makes me feel more disconnected from reality.

On a previous trip with my wife, she felt the food on the mobile safari was superior to that served at Kwando (Lebala, Lagoon and Little Kwara) on the same trip. The quality of dauphinoise still gets discussed in our household today.

Background: 

1. The initial drive into Moremi was in a closed 4 x 4, which I appreciated. It made the journey more comfortable and quicker, though I am sure the option is there for a game viewer to be used. We then swapped into the game drive vehicle for the rest of the safari, and drove out again in the closed 4x4 from Khwai. 

2.  The only time I was in camp during daylight was on the final morning, Alwyn was more than happy to accommodate long hours and catching a siesta parked next to the wild dogs or elephant drinking spot.

3.  Our general schedule meant we were out before sunrise and back after dark. Mornings are quick for me, as I intermittent fast and in the evening, after such a long, I was ready for a quick bite and straight to bed. (I think Alwyn had probably had enough of my chat by then!)

4. I had hot water available for a shower and wash every morning/night.

5. It was more than comfortable on a simple camp bad, and there were lights provided inside the tent. (Plus anything is easier than living in a fox hole in the Brecon Beacons)

Feel free to PM me if you to ask any more questions.

I should really add a few more images, after all, I have been sitting on this TR for almost a year!

Hi and thanks for the information. I have been trying to find photographs but no luck. Alwyn is taking some later in the season. I have read good reviews about his guiding however! I am impressed with your wifes description of the food as we enjoyed the food at the Kwando camps. Out of interest what made you decide to do the Kwando camps alongside the camping? Was it your wife putting her foot down?

We are very happy to sleep on a camp bed, in fact we enjoy it very much. Thanks for your information and look forward to more photographs of your trip when you have the time. Pen

Alex The Lion
2 hours ago, penolva said:

Hi and thanks for the information. I have been trying to find photographs but no luck. Alwyn is taking some later in the season. I have read good reviews about his guiding however! I am impressed with your wifes description of the food as we enjoyed the food at the Kwando camps. Out of interest what made you decide to do the Kwando camps alongside the camping? Was it your wife putting her foot down?

We are very happy to sleep on a camp bed, in fact we enjoy it very much. Thanks for your information and look forward to more photographs of your trip when you have the time. Pen

@penolva

That trip was a few years ago and we were on safari for over 3 weeks. I think that 10 days without full creature comforts is around her limit.

Alwyn has also guided us privately at Kwando camps too.

• 7 months later...
Alex The Lion

I have been forced to self isolate this week, after showing symptoms. So, whilst I wait for my test result, I will endeavour to edit some new images.

In Khwai, we stayed on a private campsite on the Sable river, far from the crowds.

AEDB5FF4-F1FB-4657-9E05-2961E8621D9B.jpeg

Edited by Alex The Lion

Alex The Lion

From Khwai, we also visited the Mababe depression, where we bumped into a couple lionesses at the road side.

With all the water that now reaches this area, a decent road network would make it an interesting drive.

it is though, just a flat expanse, a complete contrast old road Sauvte road of Mopane that we took to get there.

(iPhone images)

ABE81B37-2E7E-4778-B6B0-F9C24E2F76B5.jpeg

30648C9B-66FD-4A84-B663-3DCCBAEF9072.jpeg

06184FE3-46D5-490B-94F0-62DB84D55219.jpeg

madaboutcheetah

@Alex The Lion - Nice photo! I haven't seen him since 2011 and you since a similar time frame? sh## - please take care! Hope all is well ........ 

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Alex The Lion
Just now, madaboutcheetah said:

@Alex The Lion - Nice photo! I haven't seen him since 2011 and you since a similar time frame?

@madaboutcheetah It must 2010 for us? I was still living in London at the time.

madaboutcheetah
1 minute ago, Alex The Lion said:

@madaboutcheetah It must 2010 for us? I was still living in London at the time.

maybe 2012 or 2013 ...... i remember meeting for dim sum.

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Alex The Lion
Just now, madaboutcheetah said:

maybe 2012 or 2013 ...... i remember meeting for dim sum.

I know we had Dim Sum. We need to schedule a joint safari!

Alex The Lion

Alwyn and I always always leave before dawn and return after dusk. We normally spend lunch time/siesta around popular drinking spots.

(iPhone image)

0C03379B-266E-4D01-928E-D71D764BFD13.jpeg

Edited by Alex The Lion

Peter Connan

Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. Hope you make a rapid recovery!

Bad luck with the virus ... but self-isolation is not such a bad thing. 46 days and counting :rolleyes:. I wish you getting a negative (as no virus detected) test result.

Edited by xelas

Alex The Lion

Thanks, @xelas and @Peter Connan

My symptoms have all but gone. The issue with Covid-19 is the symptom mix and severity being so variable, which means without a test, I cannot go to work, due the high risk environment I work in.

After taking anti-histamine it has all cleared, though you can't be too sure.