Zvezda & Alex 4th time: Just birdin'

xelas

SOOC? Straight Out Of Camera! In good light the internal conversion to JPEG works really well.

1 hour ago, Zim Girl said:

Hawfinch in your garden - amazing, lovely picture Alex.

Thanks Angela! I was surprised also, however one was spotted also a year ago, so hopefully this one will not be the only one to visit our garden. With Hawfinches and Bramblings and other colourful birds to add, I can open a bird hide :lol:; anyone interested to come? Just be aware about @Galana words about me and rain :rolleyes:.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:07 PM, xelas said:

Stop watching football, start watching rugby! I have a couple of All Blacks t-shirts to give away :wacko: ...

First Anglo-Boer war: 1880-1881

Second Anglo Boer war: 1899-1902

Third Anglo-Boer war: Scheduled for next Saturday...

@Peter Connan I am sure you know where you have been on June 24th, 1995 and on October 20th, 2007 ;) (that year I have seen my first and only RWC game, New Zealand has trashed Italy in Marseille).

I know where I will be on November 2nd at 10:00 local time :D. Could it be that Springboks will win their 3rd title? Anything is possible and there will be a war of galant warriors in Yokohama. See you in front of the screen! 

2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

First Anglo-Boer war: 1880-1881

Second Anglo Boer war: 1899-1902

Third Anglo-Boer war: Scheduled for next Saturday...

Don’t count your chickens @Peter Connan

wees bang, Boet!

22 hours ago, xelas said:

@Peter Connan I am sure you know where you have been on June 24th, 1995 and on October 20th, 2007 ;) (that year I have seen my first and only RWC game, New Zealand has trashed Italy in Marseille).

I know where I will be on November 2nd at 10:00 local time :D. Could it be that Springboks will win their 3rd title? Anything is possible and there will be a war of galant warriors in Yokohama. See you in front of the screen! 

On the 24th of June 1995, I was lying on a dam wall in the Klaserie Private Nature reserve, watching birds drinking, turtles sun-bathing and elephants goofing.

On the 20th of October 2007 I was not that lucky, but I can guarantee that one place I wasn't was in front of a television.

In 2010, when SA hosted the Soccer World Cup, the Connan family went on their first overland expedition to Botswana.

On the 2nd November 2019, I will be photographing Megan in her Matric Farewell dress...

Sorry to dissapoint you!

@Tdgraves, I hope you are wrong but the way we have been playing, I suspect you're not...

6 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

On the 2nd November 2019, I will be photographing Megan in her Matric Farewell dress...

Presumably the do is in the evening @Peter Connan ? Plenty of time to watch the match beforehand....

I am not photographing the do, I am photographing her before... While the make-up is fresh.

1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

Sorry to dissapoint you!

You did not! If not chasing for more Big Year additions I will be watching the game, also for you.

When @michael-ibk informed me that he will be in Carinthia this weekend, a meeting was quickly set up. While Michael has had not much luck with his target bird, ours was there, and she/he was very obliging when posing for Zvezda.

BY 359 / BY 359

Black Swan - Cygnus atratus

81997956_BlackSwan.JPG.d2c00506eda21b781b2f59738ce7e480.JPG

Carinthia, 2-Nov-2019

These days thousands of Common Cranes are migrating over Slovenia. Reports are saying that they have been spotted near Cerknica lake, so that was our next destination. No cranes but rain :( we have found.

Birding in Europe in last two months of the year is a tough job. Sky is usually grey and cloudy, light is bad, and rain can often add to the challenging conditions. Results can only be described as EBC from a desperate BY birder.

BY 360 / SI 064

Red-breasted Merganser - Mergus serrator

173385515_Red-breastedMerganser.JPG.64bbfb1de1ae77f12ec265ebcf0af97a.JPG

Cerknica, 2-Nov-2019

BY 361 / SI 065

Black-throated Loon (Diver) - Gavia arctica

1719232098_SlavonianGrebe.JPG.57165b174c10a410e31e33dd20b3c307.JPG

Cerknica, 2-Nov-2019

Edited by xelas

Ah, you found the Merganser in Slovenia, cool. No Slavonian Grebe though I'm afraid, that's its cousin. And I'm surprised you did not mention the Loon, do you have one already? 

So, you think is a Black-necked Grebe? If so, I need to move to Loon! As that one I don't have yet. Any idea which one: Red-throated or Black-throated? Our vote goes to Black-throated.

Yes, a Slavonian should have more white in the head, and only Black-Necked has that extremely steep forehead. I agree with Black-Throated (head and bill not in an upward position, no white in front of the eye, pretty dark head and throat in general, white flanks).

Thanks, @michael-ibk! I have edited accordingly. There are Mallard and a Black-necked Grebe in front of the two Divers.

• 1 month later...

The old year is almost over, and thus also the Big Year 2019. Time to post our last bird, which is a strong contender in the EBC category

BY 362 / SI 066

Common Crane - Grus grus

1406667656_CommonCrane.jpg.198ebd1eff97204612caca1e182fdc39.jpg

Ljubljana, 02.11.2019

A fabulous and prosperous New Big Year 2020 to all!

Happy New Year @xelas and zvezda

It has been a real pleasure following your Big Year!

your last photo of the cranes flying is beautiful - it speaks to me of freedom and the ability to fly wherever you wish or need to or go to. 

Dave Williams
13 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Happy New Year @xelas and zvezda

It has been a real pleasure following your Big Year!

It's been a real pleasure not following you Alex!!!!!      Happy New Year from Wales.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

It's been a real pleasure not following you Alex!!!!!

????? - I know there is something hidden in this sentence ... :unsure:

2 minutes ago, xelas said:

????? - I know there is something hidden in this sentence ... :unsure:

i think that he means he was in front of you, not behind you...

I knew something other than obvious was in there :ph34r:. However, truth to be told, The Hare was ahead of The Tortotise much of the year. But it is the final result that counts, after all.

This year we will have another showdown ... are you ready, @Dave Williams :huh::)?

Dave Williams
2 hours ago, xelas said:

However, truth to be told, The Hare was ahead of The Tortotise much of the year.

Do I detect a slight bitterness there Mr Hare:D You had your chance at the end, after all it's only the Tortoise that goes in to hibernation in colder climates!!

7 hours ago, xelas said:

The Hare was ahead of The Tortotise much of the year.

Classic situation straight from the fable. :lol:

1-DSCN3886.JPG.5b7ccf9cc6f7273999954adbfc1a7c6e.JPG

I like a nice juicy Hare at times. Tried a Tortoise but the pie crust was tough.

Edited by Galana
spelling.