Tdgraves big year 2019

Tdgraves

2 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

I give up 

No. PLs don't. These things happen and in a catch of 400 plus it ain't easy.

Like our SLO friend I use a spreadsheet. Two pages. One to just list em in order and the enxt page to use the wonders of Windows and convert same list to A-Z.

You can of course just use the 'binoculars' to search but that is cumbersome and fraught anyway.

Simpler just to be consistent in names.

I list in name of the type not the species.

i.e. Kite. Black winged so all Kites come together rather than Yellow-vented Bulbul bunched with canaries and even Yellow-billed Kite and Oxpeckers.

Sounds complicated but it is not. It is why I list 'as seen'.

Good luck.

I wasn’t literally going to give up. It is a problem with having different parts to a trip and being under the weather :wacko:. I actually search quite a lot before posting, but I think what I will do going forward is search each and every time. I already have my list in Roberts (or equivalent) so I don’t want to duplicate work.....

1 hour ago, Tdgraves said:

I wasn’t literally going to give up.

We all knew that.

I have just spent the past two hours fruitlessly searching for a hooded vulture (only had one sighting, but I was convinced I got at least a proof shot) or a spotted flycatcher and it turns out that the other sighting was also a dusky flycatcher, so strike that. The remaingin time was spent trying to ID LBJs. I am tempted not to even add numbers and wait for your (well @Galana 's) agreement with my IDs, but what the hell??

Near Lower Sabie, KNP, 3/9/19

Canon 5D mark IV, 100-400 mark II, ISO 500, f 7.1, 1/2000

7T4A4657

442 again) Southern red bishop (female)

Near Lower Sabie, KNP, 4/9/19

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 250, f 7.1, 1/800, EV +2

J19A5695

443) Long-tailed widowbird (female)

Near Skukuza, KNP, 5/9/19

Canon 5D mark IV, 100-400 mark II, ISO 1000, f 7.1, 1/2500, EV +1/3

7T4A5083

444) Village indigobird (female)

Near Satara, KNP, 7/9/19

Canon 5D mark IV, 100-400 mark II, ISO 1000, f 7.1, 1/2500, EV +1/3

7T4A6082

445) Dusky indigobird (female)

And that is it for KNP. A grey-backed camaroptera landed right next to me in camp in lower sabie, where there were so many birds, I didn't know which to focus on, but as soon as I spotted it, it flew off. There was a female cuckoo of some description which flew past and a pair of extremely fast falcons, which I assume must have been peregrine's but no shots of either. If I ever find a shot of a red-headed weaver, then that can be added, but I have already looked three times :(

4 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

but what the hell??

Exactly.

For 444 please visit @Dave Williams's thread for ID purposes. "Village Indigo  - Red bill, legs and feet differentiate both male and female from other Indigo birds.

:(

More likely to be Purple and the same darn leg colour also puts your Dusky in doubt too.

Dave Williams

You did better than I did on your trip, I think you have around the 170 mark, and you did it in half the time too! Mind you the longer you stay the less the return I suppose. I also had the disadvantage that having already been to Africa this year I saw a fair few that I couldn't count. I guess the biggest disappointment was our day out to Pafuri and Punda Maria. We arrived at Parfuri at 10.00am and most birds seem to have gone in to deep cover. I added just one new bird for the whole day! Then there's the ones were you don't have the camera to hand, or you stop the car and the bird immediately flies off. Frustrating! 

As for recording the list, I use a spreadsheet too. A list for each trip and a grand total one.I leave the trip list in the order I have posted them in so I can check back if the numbers don't match. To be honest it takes a lot less time than the amount you must spend adding dates and camera details, all of which are there for everyone to see if you click on one of your photos as it takes you straight to your Flickr page. You really could do yourself a favour and save an awful lot of time.Just my opinion of course.

@Galana are you saying that the bill and legs are not red enough in 444? To my eyes, 444 and 445 are different birds...

@Dave Williams 181 (if I only have 1 indigobird) which is probably the best ever (would know definitely if I had not allowed the Roberts app to delete my old lists last year :wacko:). I only add new birds, so the app would have the date that the bird was first seen, but not subsequent sightings.

I don’t think we added too many in Pafuri,   but it was just a lovely day out.

5 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

@Galana are you saying that the bill and legs are not red enough in 444?

In my opinion, yes! The bill should be almost waxbill red for Village.  (Except in the Okavango :rolleyes:)

Same with the legs of 445 in RSA I think.

OK, the great man has spoken and 444 is purple indigobird, as is 445 apparently, so one off of the score. The next batch are from a B&B near Rietvlei dam. As our friends have moved to Cape Town, we no longer have free bed and board in Joburg. It seemed pointless to battle the traffic and probably pay more to stay in the centre of town, just for the sake of it, so I looked for B&Bs near the dam, which would also give us something to do on the last day, as well as only being an easy 30 min drive to the airport. I was pleasantly surprised with the Pheasant hill B&B. Despite being right on the R21, it is a lovely old house with gardens (and of course, birds!). It is also approx. 0.5 km from the entrance to Rietvlei!

Pheasant Hill B&B, Irene, 14/9/19

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 1000, f5.6, 1/1250

J19A9249

445) Cape white-eye

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/320

J19A9362

446) Red-crested pochard

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 2000, f5.6, 1/200

J19A9288

447) Karoo thrush

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 400, f7.1, 1/1600

J19A9280

448) Cape sparrow

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 1000, f7.1, 1/6400

J19A9320

449) African sacred ibis

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 800, f7.1, 1/1600

J19A9354

450) Cape robin-chat

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 2000, f5.6, 1/400

J19A9257

451) Thick-billed weaver

Right, let's try and get this done, so that I can at least start my TR before my next trip!!

After we checked out, we went to Rietvlei. Obviously this was completely the wrong time of day for photography and we had issues with hear haze, like @Dave Williams did in KNP. But it was the last day of our trip and given that we had driven from Punda Maria the day before, I could not convince the OH to go early, even though we were actually awake. It was totally different to when we went in the summer with @Peter Connan - very dry and several areas had been burnt. It was very busy (relatively speaking), especially in the picnic area, I guess as it was Saturday and approaching lunch time. However, we had a pleasant few hours and did not need to fill the time before leaving for the airport, as by the time we had lunch in their pleasant cafe, we had driven all around and notched up quite a few ticks. 

Rietvlei dam nature reserve, 14/9/19

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 400, f7.1, 1/1250

J19A9609

J19A9628

Star species of the day the Cape longclaw - this is clearly optimal habitat for them, they were everywhere and mostly very obliging (already counted at Zibulo)

Edited by Tdgraves
typo

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 100, f5.6, 1/1250, EV -2/3

Male

J19A9413

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 200, f5.6, 1/1250, EV -2/3

Female

J19A9463

452) African stonechat (also very abundant)

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 500, f7.1, 1/5000

J19A9593

453) Pied crow

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 400, f6.3, 1/1250

J19A9597

454) Northern black korhaan

Canon 7D mark II, 100-400 mark II, ISO 250, f7.1, 1/2000

J19A9498

455) Grey-headed gull