PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

366. Little Egret. Zeeland, October. Probably waiting for a better one, but that is not likely to happen. Though they are not rare, they are very localized and I don't see myself taking another trip to Zeeland after having been there twice in October.

i-GsrHPbC-L.jpg

367. Common Chaffinch. Amersfoort, January.

i-bZFcKPZ-L.jpg

368. Common Whitethroat. Arkemheen, June

i-DQp9L8M-L.jpg

368. Black Swan. Lauwersmeer, June. Distant, but it's a swan and it's black.  Introduced in the seventies of the last century and now some 40-60 pairs occur in the wild.

i-sXFCZ8Q-M.jpg

369. Blackbird. Amersfoort, October. From my little walk this morning. Numbers have diminished, due to a disease, but they are slowly recovering.

i-ZgrbnbR-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

370. European Robin. Amersfoort, October. 

i-TFLFVpL-L.jpg

@PeterHG, are you sure that your Egyptian was not photographed in Africa? I don't recall Netherlands having that blue of a sky :D. Beautiful shot, and sky, gives me hopes for a return visit.

10 minutes ago, xelas said:

I don't recall Netherlands having that blue of a sky :D.

You took the rain to Costa Rica, you brought the grey skies to our country, I'm beginning to wonder....:P

Just now, PeterHG said:

You took the rain to Costa Rica, you brought the grey skies to our country, I'm beginning to wonder....:P

Aha, that is the real reason then. At least I do not have the same ill effect when at home. Today was a lovely indian summer day ... saw plenty of Goldcrest in good light but sadly no new additions.

Great Shot of the Whitefront. Why did it take so long?

35 minutes ago, xelas said:

At least I do not have the same ill effect when at home.

Really? Did I dream that huge storm on Saturday? The pouring rain that took us to the flooded river in Ljubijana on Sunday? Staying indoors all Monday?  It must have been another family hosting me!

The sun came only came out as we reached Bohinj.:D

1 hour ago, Galana said:

Great Shot of the Whitefront. Why did it take so long?

I know the answer to that. Just let me think.

Alex the rainmaker? Explains a lot indeed! :ph34r:

agree with Galana - love that shot of the white-fronted goose. 

371. Caspian Gull. Arkemheen, June. A very rare breeding bird, but an increasing number is seen during migration and in winter. I had it down as a Herring Gull when it approached, but the shape of the head made me take a photo all the same, just to be sure. I'm glad I did.

i-3KZs99r-L.jpg

372. Ruddy Duck. Groningen, April. Originally kept in waterfowl collections, but escapees have settled in our country since the seventies. Still rare, with only about 4 certain breeding pairs. I saw this pair in a wetland reserve in the province of Groningen. Very distant, but the tell-tale blue bill of the male can still be seen.

i-J9h5Wzv-M.jpg

373. Little Tern. Zeeland, May. I probably waited for a better shot for this one. I usually get some nice shots, when I visit the island of Texel in spring, but I didn't this year and they have all gone south now. Well, so will I in a few weeks' time ;)

i-43c6BSh-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

I wish I had a nice fruitful barrel like yours to scrape.:(

That's a very nice Caspian Gull indeed and why so shy on the Ruddy Duck?

Lovely shots!

Caspian Gull, Caspian Tern, so when do we get to see the Caspian See-monster?

A day trip to to the island of Texel provided a lot in terms of sunshine and away-from-it-all feeling of being on an island (though some of us must have this feeling permanently :)), but not many opportunities for the BY. Only two, in fact, the first seen from the ferry. I grabbed a few shots, hiking I could get closer ones later on. It's a good thing I did, as we did not see any others. Beautiful ducks, all the same.

374. Eider. Texel, October

i-6JwQNTL-L.jpg

375. Little Grebe. Texel, October. Also rather distant, but four of them to make up for that.

i-hGSJN4B-L.jpg

Dave Williams

I am amazed at some of the species that are just being added...Robin,Blackbird,Chaffinch! Nice when you can leave them this late Peter!

Interesting you believe there are 4 breeding pairs of Ruddy Duck in Holland. They had an extermination programme in the UK, funded by the government as a result of the Spanish complaining they were an inter breeding threat to their White-headed Ducks.

Yes, it's always a good thing when you can still chase some common species in October. Well, when you can still catch them, of course ;).

I believe they also have an eradication programme here, but they have never been widespread and their numbers appear to be stable.

376. Rook. Barneveld, November. Another one I'd missed so far. I knew there is a colony of them not too far from here, so, on our way to a birthday party I decided to have a quick look there. Apparently they still stick around after the nesting season.

i-44VXqpc-L.jpg

377. Bewick's Swan. Eemnes, January. I am waiting for the Bewick's Swans to arrive again in greater numbers, but apparently I already took a photo of one in January. It seems there is a world population of some 15.000 of these swans and about two-thirds of them use our country as their wintering grounds. They mostly keep their distance, but this solitary bird, mixing with the mute swans came close enough for a shot.

i-MHT2nSr-L.jpg

Hello, I got a link to your post from xelas - I have a question about your photo gear. I own an Olympus system and don't have any long tele lens, suitable for taking safari photos, as I don't do this type of photography. 

I plan to go to Namibia next year and of course want to shoot some animals too. I wouldn't like to invest too much in buying an expensive lens, so I am interested in a lens in the range of your wife's lens 75-300 mm. How is it compared to your 300 mm F4, which I know is a very good one. I'll be in Namibia in June, when the weather is mostly very good, sunny and no rain. I know her lens costs 4 times less, so there must be a difference?  Thanks in advance and regards, Bojan