Volunteering in the Naboisho conservancy 4 weeks july-august 2018

khakialahari

Just now, khakialahari said:

I am sleeping in a canvas tent, and I kid you not hyenas are sniffing around me every night. So I will now ask the question??? At what point does living it rough, and fly camping compare to being poor and being exposed? Because it’s the same thing in essence. But the complete opposite in the other 

People pay a lot of money to be remote, to be out there. I feel I was not looked after and I saw the real shit

Please respond as I am a novice 

6 hours ago, khakialahari said:

Please respond as I am a novice 

~ @khakialahari

Your candid comments make a strong impression. Thank you for posting them.

My life experience of being poor and exposed is limited, briefly occurring more than four decades ago.

How does that compare to living rough, fly camping in the bush?

Excellent question. Is it possible that the difference lies in hope?

What I mean is that those whose grim reality is poverty and exposure have little or no hope for an upturn in their circumstances.

That is, while their lives may eventually improve, they have scant grounds for feeling certain that will occur.

By contrast, those living rough, fly camping in the bush know that no matter how tough each day's circumstances might seem, they're only temporary.

When their adventure concludes, they have the comforting assurance of returning to a more settled existence.

What you've done as a Naibosho Conservancy volunteer, assessing land use by counting grass in a defined area is understandably tedious at times.

The camp living conditions may well be well below par. The up-side is that such an experience lasts no more than one month or less.

I'm glad to read you thinking about this, as I've had similar questions in recent years.

Tom K.

People pay a lot of money to camp in little tents in the bush. It's the sense of feeling vulnerable and getting back to nature, hearing all the sounds of the bush,  that I think is quite alluring. 

I have personally camped in botswana on a mobile tour. It is quite unnerving having to dash to the bushes in the middle of the night but when you've gotta go, you've gotta go!

It was much worse in Ladakh having to peel myself out of a cosy sleeping bag in minus 13c conditions to have a pee! . I do prefer tents with en suite! 

From what I understand, heavy canvas tents are quite safe in Africa. I get the impression that the risk of unwelcome attention from the local fauna is increased in flimsier tents. Something to do with the noise they make in the wind. I could be completely off the mark but that's what I have read.

Why did you not feel looked after? 

1 hour ago, kittykat23uk said:

Why did you not feel looked after? 

I too am curious about this @khakialahari

I have slept in canvas tents in unprotected camps, a reed hut next to a grass patch favoured by a young hippo and in the open on a ground sheet next to a fire kept going all night. There were plenty of predators around as evidenced by the nearby roars of lions and calls of spotted hyenas and their spoor in the mornings but I was with people who lived in the bush, both from local tribes and conservation NGOs and trusted their advice that I was safe.

The only animals that have ever come uninvited into my tent when it was zipped up have been vervet monkeys.

I very much went into the whole trip with no experience but what I have read on here. I have not yet said that my girlfriend could only stay for three weeks whilst I was there for four. The only reason we were in the dome tent is because we were told the dorms (concrete) were not mixed although I think this was false as another couple were roomed together. We were given no instructions other than shine a torch (we were not told to bring a good torch) and look for eye shine. Not even on our first night were we shown to our tent or given any instructions. We were given a bucket each to pee in and the staff often went to bed before we did. There was no fire, no sticks knifes or guns, I still don’t know if you should be quiet, talk as loud as possible, and there was no mention of food in the tent. This camp is a decade old and everyone has left in one piece but when I say we were not looked after we were in every way, but not really briefed well enough at the start especially. I was adamant that when my girlfriend flew home I would move to the dorm. When that time came you couldn’t have forced me from my lovely little tent. The observations I have made recently are not really me, and don’t reflect my experiences. The laptop has gone with my girlfriend who is away and on reading my post back I find them bitter and devisive and really not how I experienced the trip. I’m sorry for that. I want to go back and do it again immediately!! Money this year means I almost certainly can’t so I think I am putting a downer on this amazing project and time. I completely understand why you would want to fly camp or rough it. I wouldn’t want it any other way now. We have made our lives so safe and sterile. Being in the wild and vulnerable is now something we pay for. People who can’t afford to escape this deserve every sympathy in the world but I won’t put my political views on that on here. What I will say is that inequality stinks

My last comment is referring to the people who live in the eternal “risk” we choose to take. The amazing Africans who haven’t yet cleansed their continent of everything mildly dangerous. Whilst I passed through villages and townships I realised that although we send scientists and conservationists to Africa to safe wildlife, from and English point of view we have destroyed our own. We are telling empoveraged people who still have almost all of their fauna, how to preserve it whilst it still poses a threat to their life’s and livelihoods, whilst we eradicated that in our own country so long ago. We should hang our heads in shame. The poaching of africa’s animals isn’t even to feed an African desire. The money placed on ivory and horn is external. Africa isn’t the bloody problem. Never has been. It’s the rest of us. So sad and so ironic the people we try and preach to are the best custodians out there. 

On 2/19/2019 at 6:44 AM, Tom Kellie said:

~ @khakialahari

Your candid comments make a strong impression. Thank you for posting them.

My life experience of being poor and exposed is limited, briefly occurring more than four decades ago.

How does that compare to living rough, fly camping in the bush?

Excellent question. Is it possible that the difference lies in hope?

What I mean is that those whose grim reality is poverty and exposure have little or no hope for an upturn in their circumstances.

That is, while their lives may eventually improve, they have scant grounds for feeling certain that will occur.

By contrast, those living rough, fly camping in the bush know that no matter how tough each day's circumstances might seem, they're only temporary.

When their adventure concludes, they have the comforting assurance of returning to a more settled existence.

What you've done as a Naibosho Conservancy volunteer, assessing land use by counting grass in a defined area is understandably tedious at times.

The camp living conditions may well be well below par. The up-side is that such an experience lasts no more than one month or less.

I'm glad to read you thinking about this, as I've had similar questions in recent years.

Tom K.

Thank you so much Tom! 

5 hours ago, khakialahari said:

My last comment is referring to the people who live in the eternal “risk” we choose to take. The amazing Africans who haven’t yet cleansed their continent of everything mildly dangerous. Whilst I passed through villages and townships I realised that although we send scientists and conservationists to Africa to safe wildlife, from and English point of view we have destroyed our own. We are telling empoveraged people who still have almost all of their fauna, how to preserve it whilst it still poses a threat to their life’s and livelihoods, whilst we eradicated that in our own country so long ago. We should hang our heads in shame. The poaching of africa’s animals isn’t even to feed an African desire. The money placed on ivory and horn is external. Africa isn’t the bloody problem. Never has been. It’s the rest of us. So sad and so ironic the people we try and preach to are the best custodians out there. 

~ @khakialahari

This needs saying. It's a perspective which has been in my thoughts.

Thank you for surprising me with such impassioned comments. 

From the heart writing touches me, especially when it's informed by experience.

When you return to Africa someday, I hope that you'll retain the caring and insight you have today.

Tom K.

Up to page 2.  What a romp through the wilds!  We share the cheetah as our favorite animal, but unlike you, I never won any races with cheetah-like speed.  Your report is going to generate lots of volunteer applications for Naboisho.

That avatar of yours is the cutest thing ever!

Edited by Atravelynn

Now this is fascinating:

"He explained how male giraffes die younger as they spend so much time eating the top leaves they eventually lose their eyelashes because of the harsh sun. males often end up blind or partially sighted and fall victim to water holes or hazards that eyesight helps avoid."

I won't think less of you for being a wheeled angel or a "dickhead" when playing volleyball. 

Even if they are a jumble, you have many great photos to illustrate this fantastic experience, including 500 of the lions.  Were you able to do an evaluation or something to let those who provide this volunteer program know that there were some lapses and that improvements could be made?

Thank you for sharing these "struggles" with us, lion poop and all.  If you could teach other guests, with 30 safaris under their belt, some things about safaris, you should be a guide. 

• 5 months later...
khakialahari

im so sorry for leaving this report. I've not done so by choice. i will try and make amends. unfortunately as i lost my user ID i also lost my trip report book. i have some great tattles and i am back in kenya this month so i aim to give all the best bits and go again

On 1/15/2019 at 2:26 AM, khakialahari said:

He explained how male giraffes die younger as they spend so much time eating the top leaves they eventually lose their eyelashes because of the harsh sun. males often end up blind or partially sighted and fall victim to water holes or hazards that eyesight helps avoid.

Love the writing! Not so much that you weren't given a property safety instruction when you arrived. I too have slept in flimsy tents, firmer tents, out in the open and on bonnets of cars, with hyeanas sniffing my toes and a pride of lions coming to about 10m from us sleeping one night (nobody saw or heard them!).

But when a guide starts telling me stuff like I quoted above I would seriously start doubting them, that story is just bs.