Pedro´s Rookie Year

pedro maia

@pedro maia I can see that you have spent hours already this year gathering an impressive range of birds for your first big year - welcome to the BY club and congratulations in advance for the upcoming #100 species.

#99, 27/4, Dunlin, Praia do Moinho, Alcochete

J3GeqEH.jpg

I had to cheat a bit on the order because I wanted my century bird to be a nice one, (it´s clear that it will be my only century but I didn´t think I would reach it until much later).

#100, 27/4, European Bee-eater, Pancas Area

qMvpUnr.jpg

#101, 27/4, Sanderling, Praia do Moinho, Alcochete (the true 100th)

A6U13Zm.jpg

Congratulations on your great achievement of a century. A nice bird to cross the line with too. Now you should start thinking of which one to use for #200. You are half way there and not half way through the year. It can be done!!

Excellent bird, and excellent time to reach the #100, congratulations to both! Now keep goin' !

Dave Williams

Well done...onwards and upwards!

Thanks guys, it was great to reach the century and it gave a lot of (fun) work, I spent much more time doing this than I though I would, and I’m also glad I did it without any trip abrooad, not even a night out.

@Galana 200 I think will be really impossible for me, right now my new target will be 150, from now on it will only be more difficult but as long as I’m enjoying myself it will be fine and I’ll carry on.

Time to move on, this was a difficult one because it was moving on the tree branches and at first I had the camera settings wrong so I had to edit a lot.

#102, 28/4, Long-tailed Tit, Parque Penhas do Marmeleiro, Murches

B8lGl0j.jpg

gtURDjQ.jpg

bOJxatb.jpg

K7pvleC.jpg

Edited by pedro maia

Peter Connan

Congratulations. What a lovely bird to post for no. 100!

pedro maia

I hesitated to put this one because I totally messed up with the camera settings and even with the edition the picture is terrible, I can find it again because it´s close to where I live but it´s right by a beach and from now on the place is going to be crowded and it will be terrible to park so here it goes and maybe later on I´ll post a better picture.

#103, 30/4, Crested Myna, Praia da Torre, Oeiras

eUXL1yW.jpg

gFhobm7.jpg

pedro maia

A few duplicates:

lcOJBwI.jpg

N0hL8Lx.jpg

dlaFygV.jpg

W0mrZXb.jpg

c7uBBVE.jpg

Zz2Qxd8.jpg

pedro maia

Half an hour ago, while returning to the office after lunch, a pair of birds very close to me draw my attention, my first thought was that their colours where strange for pigeons, had a second look and saw they had nothing to do with pigeons and that I didn´t have them in my BY, time to use the mobile phone for the first time for this purpose, at least for once I have a good excuse for the lack of image quality (I hope that someday I´ll redeem myself for the myna photo).

#104, 2/5, Eurasian Jay, Rua Sidónio Pais, Lisboa

RzENuI9.jpg

IWQipMX.jpg

cFhpa4E.jpg

pedro maia

#105, 3/5, Melodious Warbler, Parque da Várzea, Quinta do Conde

MmMy8sV.jpg

Kitsafari
On 4/28/2019 at 10:54 PM, pedro maia said:

Thanks guys, it was great to reach the century and it gave a lot of (fun) work, I spent much more time doing this than I though I would, and I’m also glad I did it without any trip abrooad, not even a night out.

@Galana 200 I think will be really impossible for me, right now my new target will be 150, from now on it will only be more difficult but as long as I’m enjoying myself it will be fine and I’ll carry on.

never say impossible! slow and steady will do it. I thought I would  never hit 100, then 150, then 200 in my first BY last year. I was just stunned by the number of species one can get without passing the immigration counter. 

So I'll be looking out for your 200th! No pressure. just have fun. 

pedro maia

#106, 5/5, Northern Gannet, Cabo Raso

LoN6sEN.jpg

tW5YapV.jpg

TGVafyi.jpg

pedro maia

#107, 5/5, Audouin´s Gull, Cabo Raso

uOt4mk2.jpg

3tGd3tl.jpg

iZs3mg4.jpg

pedro maia

#108, 5/5, Cirl Bunting, Oitavos - Cascais

Vcmcvji.jpg

Edited by pedro maia

pedro maia

#109, 5/5, Palid Swift, Praia das Avencas - Parede

yzEHRsc.jpg

ZopZTHX.jpg

pedro maia

#110, 5/5, Red-rumped Swallow, Pancas Area

YNTEwk1.jpg

A true EBC...

N325uOx.jpg

Edited by pedro maia

4 hours ago, pedro maia said:

A true EBC...

Yeah! Go for them!

Some great additions there, @pedro maia! Audouin's Gull, Pallid Swift, really special for us, Northerners.

pedro maia
48 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

Some great additions there, @pedro maia! Audouin's Gull, Pallid Swift, really special for us, Northerners.

I was very happy with the Audouin´s Gull, I don´t think it is very common here and although it was pure luck, I only made the ID when I looked at the pictures, at the same place and moment there were others with big lenses and later I went to ebird and no one had seen it that day, last time it was registered in that place was in February (of course those guys saw quite a few species that I didn´t see, but that´s not the point:lol:).

The problem with the swifts is that tey are lightning fast.