Kruger Self drive Jan 2019 - Call of The Woodland Kingfisher

Hads

By the time we had brunch, well a late breakfast it was starting to get quite hot, even by my standards (I live in the Pilbara region of WA and it gets very hot here , we are expecting 45 over the next 2 days).

It was up around 35 by lunch and the game was not very active. We stopped and talked to a ranger at the N'wamanzi look out , looking over the Oliphants river. He had reports of a gun shot and was checking out the area for signs of poaching, thankfully there was no signs of anything.

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

After leaving the ranger we decided to take the back roads south to Satara via the Old Main road the S90, the northern parts of the road has lovely open plains, actually the whole road it quite scenic once it has had rain and there was plenty of fields of yellow flowers which the steenbok seemed to enjoy, we kept driving along this route and turned left onto the Gudzani road , S41 - we stopped at the Gudzani east waterhole and some vultures where having a drink, until we got to the S100, one of my favourite roads in all of Kruger.

We explored this area alot of the next few days with mixed sightings.

The extra rain had made sightings more challenging , especially for the predators, but this area of the park was beautiful and green with lush grasslands, a total contrast to the desert landscape I experienced in December 2016.

There was alot more plains game out and about - it was getting close to 2pm so we went and checked in at Satara after a big morning drive.

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

Edited by Hads

Towlersonsafari

very nice photo of the Brown headed kingfisher @Hads

A very enjoyable report, looks like you had a splendid time. And I do love the title - having just returned from Botswana I miss the Woodland's trrrrrrrrrrrriii... 

Love the Steenbok amongst the yellow flowers. 

Thanks @Towlersonsafari , @michael-ibk and @Ritsgaai for following along.

Michael does that mean we are getting another TR from you soon? We did have a awesome time in Kruger - the first half of the trip was abit slow with the predators but the second half made up for it with some good quality sightings of Cats and luckily a few dogs.

At Satara rest camp my little friend was waiting for me.

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

FIL (father in law) and I headed off around 4pm for our afternoon drive.

It was still stinking hot and the game seemed lethargic, once again the predators were elusive - still no cats after 3 days in Kruger  - but we are in cat country now.

However we had 2 separate sightings of 2 groups of stunning male Kudu's.

We took the H6 - S41 - S100 loop which is always a nice drive and I have had excellent sightings on this route over the years.

First up was a lovely bull ele moving quickly through the bush.

There is a river crossing on the S41 near the H6 section of the road and there was a Grey heron in the Wanela waterhole fishing - opportunity for some reflective photography.

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

The S100 was relatively quiet but  we came across some Giraffe and a single file of Kudu Bulls.

It was then back to camp for a Braai and beer after another great day in the park.

Back at camp I spoke to my neighbour and asked how his drive was - he  mentioned he went to the close by Nsemani dam where there was Wild dogs playing , about a pack of 15 , along with a Male Lion not far by.

Well at least the predators are out and about.

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Edited by Hads

~ @Hads

Those male kudu...!

Outstanding sighting and images.

Looking at the details, you've brought out their beauty.

The oxpecker on the Giraffe ossicone is a great capture.

Your father-in-law and you had a productive afternoon drive, despite the heat.

Thank you for these.

Tom K.

Your welcome @Tom Kellie  -  The male Kudu is definitely a favourite, my father in law loves these guys. 

Edited by Hads

On 2/25/2019 at 2:21 AM, Hads said:

Michael does that mean we are getting another TR from you soon?

I would not say "soon" but eventually, yes. :)

Day 4 - Well I think so anyway......

It's funny when your on Safari the days seem to blend into a blur of wildlife and special sightings, today was one of those special days , firstly my good mate Conrad and his Son were arriving this afternoon at Satara, I have not seen them for nearly 2 years so was pretty excited to be catching up with them.

Secondly we got our first sightings of Wild dogs and first Lion of the trip - going on Safari it sure beats working.

My father in law is not a huge fan of Wild dogs - I love seeing them as they are obviously extremely endangered and sightings of them are rare. FIL is a CAT man - he loves his big cats.

I was behind the wheel this morning and after a quick coffee and rusk off we went heading towards Nsemani dam which is only abut 10km's away from Satara  - I was hoping that the dogs would still be in the area.

We were very lucky as they had not gone far overnight and were at the junction of the H7 and S12 gravel road - and a dead give away something was around was 2 cars stopped on the side of the road - apologies first pic is with my phone.

In total there was between 15-17 dogs.

IMG_1057.jpg

FIL and I stayed with them for maybe 45 mins or so and enjoyed another coffee watching them slowly get active.

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

Apologies there will be a few dog pics.......

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

A lonely Hyena decided to turn up sniffing around off in the distance - a couple of Dogs walked towards him but he kept his distance, he was definitely outnumbered.

The Hyena had a very pink nose did not venture far - maybe he thought there was an easy meal somewhere.

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

Edited by Hads

Just to finish with a couple more pics of the Dogs and Mr Hyena.

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Edited by Hads

After a pleasant stay with the Dogs it was time to move on and continue along the small loop of the S12 and S40 and then back on the H6.

This loop is nice and has the nice Girivana water hole.

The handsome Marabou stork was overlooking the dam and a small herd of Ele's where on the move.

IMG_0593.JPG

Ele Crossing.........

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

Red crested Korhaan

IMG_0603.JPG

I think this is a Brown snake Eagle.

IMG_0611.JPG

Marabou on the move

IMG_0614.JPG

We headed down towards the H1-3 and onto the H6 and made our way to the Sweni hide for a look and then went up to Nwanetsi look out for coffee and rusk.

Plenty of game along the way.

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

Tucker time.

IMG_0623.JPG

Creche of Impala's

IMG_0625.JPG

Nice pose mate......

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

The Sweni hide is a great spot for game watching - the is always resident hippo and plenty of birdlife.

This hippo had some red billed oxpecker giving him a clean.

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

Fish Eagle overlooking the hide.

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

Edited by Hads

IMG_0603.JPG.d9e6743bfd49ace41b4f28e0301b6a8f.JPG.259758e168c136bc171cbd1dead1215f.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG.41076ffa8b78ad922916ba457d20e6c8.JPG.fff682d33fc62613329a79af1c111368.JPG

~ @Hads

Your portraits above are terrific!

On my computer screen they're vivid and detailed.

Thank you so much for posting these...as well as the other fine photography.

You're taking me back to Kruger in style.

Tom K.

Your welcome @Tom Kellie - Self driving Kruger there is definitely plenty of opportunity for those special shots.

After a nice break at Nwanetsi look out it was time to make our way back to camp for Brunch.

The temperature was soaring, thank goodness for air con in cars these days.

There was some activity on the way back to Satara via the S100.

First up a toothless tiger or at least a tuskless ele.

IMG_0664.JPG

Prayer time in the park,

IMG_0667.JPG

Drink time...

IMG_0672.JPG

It's hot out here mate.....

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

Edited by Hads

FIL and I were back at camp and Conrad called, he was a few km's south of Satara - Hads there is a big Male lion on the move, it was around 2pm in the heat of the day. I was stoked that Conrad called us.

FIL and I were in the car like a flash as Conrad was only 5km's away - we greeted Conrad and Ethan and they pointed out were the Lion was, he decided to rest under a tree behind a small bush.

It was our first lion of the trip so we were pretty excited, unfortunately we could only make out his mane :( .

IMG_0685.JPG

We decided to sit and wait and see if he would move again, Conrad and Ethan had been driving all day from the South of the park, they entered at Malelane gate and decided to go check in at Satara.

After about 10 mins a bull Elephant walked up to the tree where the Lion was, there was a large puddle there and he quenched his thirst.

IMG_0688.JPG

The lion is to the right of the Ele behind the green bush.

IMG_0690.JPG

A Impala ram was on high alert.

IMG_0691.JPG

The lion thought it best to move on and he walked straight towards us and then sat under another bush further away from the Ele.

How lucky we were to see this fine beast - for some reason I did not take a photo of both the Ele and Lion... Too excited I guess

IMG_0687.JPG

I,m out of here...

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

Gee it's hot in the sun...

IMG_0697.JPG

Bloody elephants....

IMG_0700.JPG

Taking my cool spot in the shde....

IMG_0703.JPG

This will do - sorry about blurry picture.

IMG_0708.JPG

Edited by Hads

That afternoon we all went for a swim at Satara's pool, it was high 30's. The pool was a treat though.

For our afternoon drive I hopped in with Conrad and we took off about 4ish.

Ethan and FIL were still resting in the heat of the arvo.

It was great to be spending time with my old mate again - we decided to do the S90 - S41 - S100 Loop this arvo.

The S90 has beautiful open plains, we came across our first Rhino of the trip, well my first Rhino of the trip. It was about 200m away.

On the way up to Satara from Malelane gate Conrad and Ethan saw a few Rhino and 2 separate prides of Lions - all in a few hours drive.

IMG_0722.JPG

Ground hornbill - it was to be a busy afternoon with these wonderful birds but not this one.

IMG_0727.JPG

Bull ele 

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

Water buck

IMG_0750.JPG

Brown snake eagle

IMG_0751.JPG

What a pleasant afternoon drive it was.

We came across what we thought to be another lone ground hornbill but in fact there was 3 walking along in the open grass.

I was paying alot of attention to these guys when I noticed in a dead tree lots of bee-eaters - it was a xmas tree of bee eaters , I think it was a mixture of carmine and white fronted bee - eaters. It was a first for me carmine bee-eaters in Kruger, awesome.

IMG_0755.JPG

Bee eater xmas tree.

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

Ground hornbill on the move.

IMG_0761.JPG

Look at me.

IMG_0765.JPG

Time for a beak clean.

IMG_0769.JPG

Cleaning the family

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

Edited by Hads

Towlersonsafari

loving the report @Hads-and mentioning the coffee and rusks just brings back memories of the fun of self-driving and just being in somewhere wonderful  with the chance of sightings-whatever they are!

Edited by Towlersonsafari

Very nice trip report! Lots of wildlife as well. Impressed you spotted the lion when you could only see it's mane.

I should have read your TR just a few days earlier. Then I could have pretended I knew the bird in my picture was the wooden kingfisher ;)  You have very good pictures of that bird!

That ellie bull at the start of your report is quite impressive!

Looks like you had a great time driving through Kruger.

Lovely Christmas tree of bee-eaters, but they are European rather than White-fronted.

The_Norwegian

Very nice thread! What a great trip :-) I was hoping for the woodland kingfisher when I was in the sari sands, but they didn't show up before I left :-( They are great birds! 

Thanks @Peter Connan for the correction - did not do my research good enough, birds are not my strong point but I am slowly improving.

@The_Norwegian what time of you did you go to Sabi Sands? The Woodland kingfisher is a summertime visitor to Kruger, apparently the migrate from the Congo basin (well a ranger from Singita told me anyway).

@Towlersonsafari whenever we had a great sighting I would always get the coffee and rusks out, unless it was late afternoon and the Windhoek lager would come out instead :)

Beer and Braai time back at camp - one of the best times of the day.

Later that evening we had a cat wonder into the campsite - poor picture quality with my phone but can anyone identify it?

We also had a honey badger running around the huts  - sorry no photo's.

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

Cat ID Please??

IMG_1094.jpg

Edited by Hads

1 hour ago, Hads said:

Later that evening we had a cat wonder into the campsite - poor picture quality with my phone but can anyone identify it?

Cat ID Please??

IMG_1094.jpg

~ @Hads

As ever, great photos and a sense of onward motion.

I'm loving your trip report.

When the image of the feline visitor appeared on my screen, before reading anything you'd written I thought to myself, Felis lybica, African wildcat.

It was the dark stripes on the front legs and on the tail which persuaded me that it might be Felis lybica. The overall body shape and front feet size also pointed in that direction.

Don't trust my notion, as Safaritalk overflows with others who know better, based on their substantial experience.

It's a possibility, nothing more.

Thank you for posting it.

Tom K.