PC's 2019: a lazy year

Peter Connan

hmm I'm seeing the Marievale photos from you, not from him as he is not done with the earlier photos. 

The night heron is a great sequence - FIM!

Dave Williams

Nice additions Peter. I looked at the Burnt=-necked Eremomela and thought "That's  Crombec!" of course it isn't and it begs the question "I wonder how many I ignored thinking the same"

Ah well, too late now!

One thing I learnt is that that the Kori Bustard is the world's heaviest flying bird, weighing in at up to 18kgs it seems. Makes a Goliath Heron puny!

Don´t disregard our own Mute Swan: While the top normal weight for a big cob is roughly 15 kg (33 lb), one unusually big Polish cob weighed almost 23 kg (51 lb) and this counts as the largest weight ever verified for a flying bird, although it has been questioned whether this heavyweight could still take flight. (From Wiki)

Mute Swans apart don't forget the other European contender. Great Bustard.

Wiki says this:-

The males of the Eurasian great bustard (Otis tarda) and the African kori bustard (Ardeotis kori) are the heaviest birds capable of flight, averaging up to 16 kg (35 lb) and weighing 2 to 3 times as much as their female counterparts. It is not resolved if one of these species is larger than the other, but both can reach a weight of at least 21 kg (46 lb)[1] and measure up to 1.53 m (5.0 ft) long.[3][65] Some kori bustards have been reported from 23 kg (51 lb) to even 40 kg (88 lb), but all such reports are unverified or dubious.[66]

Thank you very much @Dave Williams

40kg! I suspect dubious is a very good word!

Whatever their maximim weight is, it is quite evident that they don't just fly around for no reason. Certainly the difficulty in photographing one of those in flight is less about tracking their wild aerobatics and more about finding one actually flying. I think I have only seen one in the air twice...

Edited by Peter Connan

Dave Williams

Frustrating for me, I actually did see one take off but failed to photograph it from my position in the car.

• 1 month later...

185) Capped Wheatear

Hoeveldskaapwagter Oenanthe pileata

CappyODP-1.jpg.35a462f192a3070103c451213430296c.jpg

Kempton Park, 26 September

186) African Hoopoe

Hoephoep Upupa africana

HoopoeODP.jpg.58fa8b2461a9877747ad05186821bfda.jpg

23 November, Kempton Park

This guy was nesting in my neighbor's roof. Unfortunately I found the chick lying in my garden a couple of days ago. Hopefully they will try again.

187) African Fish-eagle

Visarend Haliaeetus vocifer

On the last weekend of November, my 4x4 club had it's end-of-year trail.We went to Rust de Winter, a beautiful campsite with many huge trees. The following birds were all taken in the campsite.

FisheagleODP.jpg.9642d80ed372eda0bf46a2d5aeb56fbd.jpg

30 November, Rust de Winter

188) Ashy Flycatcher

Blougrysvlieëvanger Muscicapa caerulescens

AshyFlyODP.jpg.feb90e7a1233fe8c9b7345080b21c2a4.jpg

01 December, Rust de Winter

If I'm right about this, this is not only my first sighting of this bird but my first Honeyguide

189) Lesser Honeyguide

HoneyguideODP-2.jpg.2ffb7f3ef1b1a3b8cf6c86543c250e2a.jpg

190) Natal Spurfowl

Natalse Fisant Pternistes natalensis

NatalFrankieODP.jpg.b6ba2c312bbefa3ff0a8f75e89f49c4e.jpg

191) Red-billed Firefinch

Rooibekvuurvinkie Lagonosticta senegala

Red-billedFireODP.jpg.8c729d36c29148ec017f7cacc6571898.jpg

192) Violet-backed Starling

Witborsspreeu Cinnyricinclus leucogaster

VioletODP.jpg.5b3b4e7e137aade36a6289dfaf5bb399.jpg

193) Bearded Woodpecker

Baardspeg Dendropicos namaquus

Female:

BeardyODP.jpg.f783b8c734f7eefcc921aa876976ff9e.jpg

Male:

BeardyODP-2.jpg.d69c159e873182ff6830d99659edfb27.jpg

194) Black-headed Oriole

Swartkopwielewaai Oriolus larvatus

OrioleODP.jpg.246f50222a0ead4167195e11f9d2a6f2.jpg

OrioleODP-2.jpg.1d984cf854cf84a4c33387e7fee8cfb5.jpg

195) Woodland Kingfisher

Bosveldvisvanger Halcyon senegalensis

At this time of year, this particular campsite is absolutely filled with these guys. Never seen even half as many anywhere else. Difficult to photograph though, as they tend to stay around the tops of the very tall trees, or in quiet and sheltered spots.

WoodlandODP.jpg.bb5e2dc6760acea1d889b038f00a0ff8.jpg

WoodlandODP-2.jpg.7be082ae09899a1b230db5c8496fb0b7.jpg

30 November and 01 December, Rust de Winter.

Well, that's it for this campsite. On Saturday morning we are off on our holidays, back the 4th of January. Hopefully there will be a couple of new birds at the end of it...

Thank you very much @TonyQ

Your "lazy year" was not that lazy after all! Only 5 steps away from #200, which is an excellent number for only one country (even if that country is South Africa). 

Dave Williams

Looks like we have a bit of a competition  for top home country going on here. Good luck on hitting the 200 Peter, I'm sure you'll manage it.

Great pictures Peter, and of course I knew you were going to beat me on the home country count, it was just a matter of oportunity and it´s obviously going to happen during your holidays ;).