michael-ibk

From Dawn Till Dusk - A Botswana Green Season Mobile

Amylovescritters

So jealous of your puff adder! Fantastic TR. planning a Bots Green Season trip for early 2021 (or Dec 2020). Decisions wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing...

Alexander33

6 hours ago, Soukous said:

A question, if I may.

You chose to use Letaka for your mobile safari. A great choice, in all my dealings with them they have been superb and their guides are very good indeed.

So I'm curious, why did you feel the need to also book Doug McDonald as a guide? 

@Soukous

Thanks for following along.  I think maybe you just haven't reached it yet, but we discussed this subject in the report at some length.  I'll defer to @michael-ibk if he wishes to elaborate more, but he and @AndMic had been guided by Doug on several other safaris beforehand, and they had a positive history together.  This safari grew out of that, and, on that basis, Doug organized the safari, and it was he who contracted with Letaka, not us.  Letaka and Matambo were superb, as I hope we've made clear, and as Michael explained here:

On 6/13/2019 at 12:56 PM, michael-ibk said:

Pretty much what @Alexander33 said. Certainly don´t want to give the impression that it´s in any way necessary to bring in an external guide for a mobile to Bots. As I mentioned Matambo (from Letaka Safaris) was a great guy and an excellent guide on his own, and I´m sure we would have had a fantastic time only with him just as well. And we have plenty of Bots mobile reports  here on Safaritalk which all prove that the local guides are always doing a super job. We simply enjoy Doug´s guiding style and company, he knows very well what we like to do on safari (my birding craze for example), we chatted about Botswana during our last Zim safari together and one thing lead to another - and the surcharge for having him along was very reasonable.

Alexander33
1 hour ago, Amylovescritters said:

So jealous of your puff adder! Fantastic TR. planning a Bots Green Season trip for early 2021 (or Dec 2020). Decisions wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing...

@Amylovescritters

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm afraid I'm the one who gets to claim jealousy here, as I understand from the Trip Planning forum that you saw a pangolin in Tanzania.  I hope you'll post a report from that trip in due course!

Amylovescritters

Indeed I did see a pangolin... Incredible. Truly. I will absolutely do a TR. Trying to sort through photos/videos STILL. Hopefully I will at least get started very soon.

Soukous
On 6/13/2019 at 4:30 AM, Alexander33 said:

Apologies if some of these photos are near-exact duplicates of Michael’s and @AndMic's.

Don't be ridiculous. No need to apologise for great photos. 

The Black Egret sequence is terrific.

BTW, if you want to get African Paradise Flycatcher, you'll find plenty in the gardens of the Cresta Mowana hotel in Kasane, between the town and the place you stayed. I know, that doesn't help you much now,  :( but you'll be back, right.

Khwai is one of my favourite places too; so much variety of landscape and just about everything is there. It can get a bit busy at times though - another advantage of going in Green season.

michael-ibk
On 6/29/2019 at 12:09 PM, Antee said:

Are you sure Scrub hare exists in CKGR?? 

Not at all, as I said Hare taxonomy is too tricky for me, was just going by the Stuart Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:50 AM, shazdwn said:

@michael-ibk what lens were you using please?

I use a Canon 100-400II on a 7D.

And many thanks for the kind comments @Peter Connan, @Hads, @pedro maia, @Antee, @Kitsafari, @screentraveller, @mopsy, @SafariChick, @pault, @madaboutcheetah, @offshorebirder, @shazdwn, @Soukous

and @Amylovescritters, much appreciated! Sorry for responding so late, I´ve been neglecting Safaritalk a bit these last few weeks. Inexcusable, I know! :)

Alexander33
On 7/18/2019 at 12:50 AM, shazdwn said:

@Alexander33 I think you mentioned a 150-600mm or something similar?  Thanks

Yikes, looks like I’ve been neglectful, too!

@shazdwn, I somehow totally missed your kind comments and question. Sorry!  I mainly used the Nikon 200-500mm lens, except for situations that were very low light or where I didn’t need as much reach, in which case I was using the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8. 

Alexander33
On 7/19/2019 at 3:38 AM, Soukous said:

BTW, if you want to get African Paradise Flycatcher, you'll find plenty in the gardens of the Cresta Mowana hotel in Kasane, between the town and the place you stayed. I know, that doesn't help you much now,  :( but you'll be back, right.

Well, I will now!  :D

shazdwn

@michael-ibk and @Alexander33 thank you for your responses.  

Atravelynn

Your final pictures taken from the plane show you left behind brilliant colors.  A fine report, gentlemen, on Botswana's Green Season!

shouldbewriting

What a phenomenal experience to live this with all of you!

Thank you so much!

skimmer

Excellent photography  - some very impressive bird shots here.