Any other “accidental birders” among us?

Tdgraves

Just spotted this on apple news...

https://apple.news/AAttJWgATQrW7jO5FRAqivQ

Unable to quote on iPad, but an article in Conde Nast traveller someone on their first safari, after sharing a vehicle with birders..

It all sounded spookily familiar. How many of us got into birding “accidentally” and still profess not to be birders, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary??

2EF7A880-5F15-41F0-9F87-27D10F1CC249.png

Edited by Tdgraves
typo

Peter Connan

Jip.

I like the "switch turned on" comment.

Me a  birder???  You've got to be kidding.

:o-_-

5 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

Me a  birder???  You've got to be kidding.

:o-_-

See what I mean @Kitsafari ?!?

Very much trying to become one, but still far away from the goal :ph34r:

Personally I think that everyone who goes on safari is a "twitcher" without trying to be. I've noticed that almost everyone I've met on safari loves is impressed by so many spectacular. I'm increasingly planning my safaris around ticking off more species of birds. Everyone who goes on safari repeatedly is unconsciously a birder without intending to be. And birders are more mainstream and less eccentric than they used to be, and they are more interested in seeing mammals and culture.

I meant to say that almost everyone I've ever met loves and is impressed by so many spectacular species of birds. Even the less impressive ones are fascinating due to their camouflage. Please excuse my errors in my last post due to my absent mindedness (due to having attention deficit hyper activity disorder) and the fact that I'm in the States and my personal assistant isn't here to correct my errors. I often go birdwatching in Nairobi or nearby. One of my favorite days ever on my 19 safaris was going bird watching with @Peter Connan on a nature preserve outside of Johannesburg. In i's own way that was just as enjoyable as anywhere I've ever been or done on my 19 safaris all over Africa. I saw so many new species of birds and so enjoyed Peter's guiding.

2 hours ago, optig said:

I meant to say that almost everyone I've ever met loves and is impressed by so many spectacular species of birds. Even the less impressive ones are fascinating due to their camouflage. Please excuse my errors in my last post due to my absent mindedness (due to having attention deficit hyper activity disorder) and the fact that I'm in the States and my personal assistant isn't here to correct my errors. I often go birdwatching in Nairobi or nearby. One of my favorite days ever on my 19 safaris was going bird watching with @Peter Connan on a nature preserve outside of Johannesburg. In i's own way that was just as enjoyable as anywhere I've ever been or done on my 19 safaris all over Africa. I saw so many new species of birds and so enjoyed Peter's guiding.

Please tell us this nature preserve.  I think I have it saved somewhere from a past post that showed how diverse and prolific it was.

@Tdgraves    @marg :P:D I was teasing. Now every trip I take - work or holiday - is tagged with at least a half day of birding. 

Peter Connan
23 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Please tell us this nature preserve.  I think I have it saved somewhere from a past post that showed how diverse and prolific it was.

Rietvlei Nature Reserve

We saw 50 species in about 4 hours, less than 20 minutes from OR Tambo Airport...

8 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Rietvlei Nature Reserve

We saw 50 species in about 4 hours, less than 20 minutes from OR Tambo Airport...

That's it!!

Dave Williams

Before you decide on an answer, I suggest you read this article in the Guardian newspaper.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-20086,00.html

Sums it up really well in my opinion although birders do attend "twitches" and keep species lists and targets too.

Then you get the photographer side and I guess that splits off in to similar directions.Those that will spend hours waiting and watching behaviour patterns trying to set up the perfect shot, others just want to capture the image for a list or a silly game like "Big Year":ph34r: 

There can also be a cross over between both types but you often find that the quality is usually forsaken in the search for new species, especially on trips away from home.

Talking of B.Y.  I need to catch up!!