TUSKERS CAMP NEAR NXAI PAN , MANKWE NEAR MOREMI AND XOBEGA DELTA

COSMIC RHINO

one of  the lounges has a hot water urn  with the  usual  selection of tea  bags  etc 

they  have   the usual range  of  beer , wine and spirits  drinks  

payment  may be  made  in  local currency , ZAR , USD  and  perhaps  Euros  , probably  only  in cash 

I  did  not notice  if they took cards  as  I  was  only  drinking  water

as  I   don't  use  wi fi  on safari  ,  I  did not observe  what the connections were  like

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

the  camp  was not busy at  that  time  of year  

there  was  only me  there  on the first  night  ,  and  another  guest  joined  in for my other  2 nights  

for my first night  dinner  was moved  close to my tent  

the  food  is  of a  simple  family  style  manner  

the  water and surrounds  are so wonderful  , the sunsets are  a delight

I  was  somewhat  surprised  to see  the  new  visitor  use  a  SLR  camera  ,take  a few  photos  , then  pack  the camera  into its bag  , complete  with  removing  both lenses  and putting  the  body cap  on  ,just for  a while  , only  to  bring the  camera  out again  , for yet another  superb scene  

it  is easier  to keep your  camera  out and ready   

The  boat  had seats  firmly  fixed  into position  so they  could  not move

I  continue my usual  practice  , the clothes  that  I  take  on and of  to suit the  temperature  , the camera  batteries  etc, sunscreen  etc  are all in a small  bag  .   Things   are  all together  where  I  can find  them  easily  and they  don't get dusty  

I have  a better  safari  if I am  organised     

When it is warmer  you are  well exposed  to the sun  , take care with cover up with clothing, sun hat and sunscreen

with  the possibility  of being sun burnt , scratched  up  by thorns  or bitten by insects  I  always take good  care  

I  almost never  wear  shorts  at anytime  of the year  , on safari  or elsewhere  

I  return with  a slight  tan which stops  at my wrist  

3  nights    was  about  the right length of  stay for me  

the  final  trip on the  last morning is long,  a number  of hours  including  photo  stops   

the  airstrip is  actually  in Moremi  game reserve  

it was very good some  full views  of  a hippo fully exposed , an elephant in the  water  , and a  closeup  of a fishing eagle

well  the hippo  had lost his territory  in a fight on the island  the  night before    

once you  get there  it is a busy boat ramp  with  a number  of vessels tied  up  

the camp has its  own vehicle  there  waiting to take  people to the  airstrip  which is  quiet  a long drive  away  

the  plane arrived  and checks the passengers of their list  , they  actually  give out proper  pre printed  boarding  passes  with names   on them

there is not much  checking  of luggage  , there  are no scales  to weigh  it

there  was no problem  with taking  a small  bag (camera  etc  ) as hand luggage  

I  though  that  the other guest  with  his multiple  bags  might have  a problem  but this  was  not the  case

at a guess  there  would  probably  be  a problem if you  came with a suitcase  ,or   bag  which  was  excessively large  or  had wheels  on it  

when  I went  there  were  a total of  3 or  4 airstrips  then  Manu  

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

The  plane  is meet at  Manu  by Mack  air  staff  , the luggage  unloaded  ,identified  and place in a trolly  

the staff   go  with the   passengers  to  the terminal  ,people   are given their  luggage

I  was  impressed  with  the   assistance  offered  

people  are shown to the  correct  terminal  , shown  the correct  line  to check in  for their flight    and assisted  to check in   

It was  interesting looking  at an air  Botswana  inflight  magazine  at the  island camp  

there  was  an article  of one of the luxury  lodges  at nxai  pan  , including  a photo  of reticulated   giraffe  ,  very, very unusual for the  area  ,  it is not  northern  Kenya  

So  the magazine  is  promoting  an animal,  an outstandingly elegant and  handsome  animal  , endemic  to  another  area  ,  in East  Africa  

this  is very creative  marketing  

• 2 weeks later...
offshorebirder

Here are some more photos I helped @COSMIC RHINO convert and post.   Sorry for the delay - I have been busy with Hurricane Dorian and cleaning up in its aftermath.

water_scene.jpg.9cdd25c42389b6b6194ae3561af28c6c.jpg

Malachite_Kingfisher1.jpg.f88c51dd2ec3dfbf18682ca9aa55ea70.jpg

Malachite_Kingfisher2.jpg.99f66ec524bf2b200ee7eb7010c621dd.jpg

Fish_Eagle-immature.jpg.bd252ed0240600e052e57f34b2d67e08.jpg

Fish_Eagle-adult.jpg.2972011e1785a147cfad3a1136f80f58.jpg

Elephants_in_water.jpg.16bf3550729f98c600e24bcb5a1f0363.jpg

water_sunset1.jpg.1bb478bf6478008f8790fe512e743eb3.jpg

water_sunset2.jpg.ba3afe42433b4bcc7f9c37106efadc8f.jpg

madaboutcheetah
On 6 September 2019 at 10:35 AM, COSMIC RHINO said:

It was  interesting looking  at an air  Botswana  inflight  magazine  at the  island camp  

there  was  an article  of one of the luxury  lodges  at nxai  pan  , including  a photo  of reticulated   giraffe  ,  very, very unusual for the  area  ,  it is not  northern  Kenya  

So  the magazine  is  promoting  an animal,  an outstandingly elegant and  handsome  animal  , endemic  to  another  area  ,  in East  Africa  

this  is very creative  marketing  

How odd ...... I can assure you there isn't any Reticulated giraffe in Nxai pan! The peolwane in flight magazine? 

They  like  to  use  a promotional  photo  from  out of the  area   

the  well informed  guest  knows  to look for southern giraffe  , animals evolve  and adapt over  large distances  

perhaps airline  magazines  and some operators  like to be creative in their  promotional  material