3 Generation family safari

KiwiGran

What a list of hit species for your grandchildren.  Their comments are very touching and show what an impact this experience has made on them.  I spotted some turtles with those giraffes. 

How wonderful you could enjoy this safari not only with your family, but without pain!

Well spotted with the turtles!. Yes the trip certainly made a big impact on the kids - Roneta is already planning to go back as soon as she can afford it.

• 3 years later...

~ @KiwiGran:

Your very kind comments earlier today motivated me to look for a trip report about your previous stay in Ndzhaka.

The photos are delightful, especially knowing that family was there to share your experience.

I've stayed at Tydon, but never yet at Ndzhaka.

Your photos and comments make it especially attractive to me.

Thank you for preparing and posting this in 2019.

Tom K.

• 4 months later...

Hi KwiwGran,my name is Aussie Ash,your trip with your family was amazing and I really enjoyed reading about your experiences, If it's OK I would just like to ask,Who you booked this trip thru. Am trying to book a trip for July 2024,and am just getting confused with so much info,we just want a safe trip in the hands of the right trip planner. Hope you all well,thanks again,Ash

Hi Ash

All the best with your trip planning. I book directly with the camps we go to and book the airfares and the transfers directly too. We fly with Qantas and stay at OR Tambo airport in the City Lodge hotel which we find perfectly adequate. Then fly with Airlink to Hoedspruit.

We have just returned from another fantastic trip to Manyeleti game reserve and Timbavati. Feel free to pm me for information on the camps we stayed at, transfers we used etc.

I will be writing another trip report just as soon as the jetlag clears!

Cheers Janet

Thanks Janet for such a quick reply,look forward to reading your newest trip. You have been to Africa alot,and experience helps,don't know if I could arrange my whole trip(for the 1st time) with out making a stuff up. You make it sound so easy..would love to know the cost,if this is too rude I understand..yes would love to know where you stayed and how long for. Really appreciate your reply. Thanks Ash.

This time we stayed at Buffelshoek in the Manyeleti game reserve https://wildlifeupclose.co.za/ and Shindzela in the Timbavati https://www.shindzela.co.za/ We used to stay at Tydon in Sabi Sands but that is now closed but has been taken over and enlarged by Umkumbe https://www.umkumbe.co.za/. Umkumbe have packages where you can also go into Kruger National Park for a day - on our first safari we did this and found it a really good combination (we did this with our family too). Buffelshoek has a sister camp Ndzhaka which is where we stayed with the family. 

As a very brief summary - Umkumbe is a smaller traversing area, animals are very habituated so you can get very close, we have had excellent sightings there each time we have gone (5 times)

Shindzela has a bigger traversing area, a very rough road in, but a beautifully set out camp, excellent sightings, comfortable tents and good food.

Buffelshoek and Ndzhaka are slightly rougher camps but comfortable tents, good food, unfenced so animals do come round the camp but you are perfectly safe. All camps we go to the tents are ensuite. The traversing area here is huge as all lodges in the Manyeleti can traverse the whole area (24000 hectares). I like the variation of landscape from open plains to more vegetated areas. We have been lucky enough to see cheetah there each time. Honeyguide Mantobeni in the Manyeleti game reserve is also very popular, a bit more expensive than Buffelshoek.

This recent trip we spent 6 nights at each camp - but when we first went we didnt spend that long at each camp. I am 76 and my husband 78 now so find it easier to stay longer at each camp and less stress travelling.

Cost wise it depends on how you travel (we go premium economy now that we are older and that is a lot more expensive than economy) and where you go so our costs are probably not very relevant. I note on your other posting you are looking at $20000AUD. That should get you a great trip. Have a look at Booking.com and put in the reserve eg Timbavati or Manyeleti - that will bring up the prices of each camp to give you some ideas. The more knowledge you have yourself the more you can judge what is being suggested by agents.

I have other trip reports if you want to view those. 

https://www.safaritalk.net/topic/15266-tydon-safari-and-shindzela-2012-and-2014

https://www.safaritalk.net/topic/16430-the-cats-came-out

https://www.safaritalk.net/topic/18676-animals-a-to-z-aardvark-to-zebra

Hope that helps, I know your problem there are just so many options