Mashatu Trip ID Thread

pedro maia

9 hours ago, Galana said:

My first 'call' for the Accipiter was Ovambo and not Chanter. Reason Habitat and stance. Good to see as I read down the @michael-ibk formed the same impression. Def not Little Sparrowhawk due to tail markings.

Odds on certainty that the dove is Cape Turtle Dove purely based on numbers.

Of course the Bunting is not a Bunting at all and that's why the three at Mashatu don't fit. As you gain experience you will sub consciously decide on 'family' which then helps you home in on exact species. Buntings are only half the size of Robin Chats and their allies. Think Sparrow as opposed to Thrush.

It is as others have said a White-browed Robin Chat or Heuglin's Robin to some. One of Africa's best vocalists to wake up to each morning.

Rewind to the first batch. The light eye is apparent. Lesser Masked Weaver with little doubt.

I don’t think I will count the sparrowhawk, you and @michael-ibk are probably right I don’t think the picture  is good enough for a clear ID.

As for the robin chat, now it’s pretty obvious it isn’t a bunting, I need to pay more attention to details.

Regarding the Weaver, I checked pictures and I think I can count it as a Lesser Masked, a female, thanks for that one.

Next batch (and I´m finishing the ID work, let´s just see how many of my calls are going to be overruled when I star posting in my BY thread) is about starlings and bad pictures, let´s see what can be done.

I´m finding very difficult to find out if these 3 birds are Greater Blue-eared or Glossy Starlings (first one taken on the road R351 in SA and the other two in Mashatu):

1167895720_IDIMG_1933R3512.jpg.1d568e4eeec3a195534304791bd54e20.jpg

1506920570_IDIMG_9008Starling.jpg.7b2eb75cb38d2d8d3314ed78e25fa31d.jpg

651942162_IDIMG_9432.jpg.238ed306f47f9481eabc99a90f522a0f.jpg

13 - For this one my call is Red-winged Starling, the red part of the wing isn´t visible but with black eye and no long tail I think it fits, considering the starlings that occur in the area, I´m looking forward to know if I´m right or wrong:

330792592_IDIMG_9439.jpg.1977b862e13cf8713de6182ec6fdb7f7.jpg

There´s a last one (I think) I can´t ID, I´m sure it must be pretty easy but I don´t get it:

14 -

507723294_IDIMG_9868.jpg.a0145786786618d8d28be21bc1643250.jpg

10-11-12. Odds on these are all Cape Glossy. Location rules I think.

14. No stronger than a 'could be' from me. I don't like the bill shape and size for a starling. It looks fairly beat up and the eye colour dictates against FT Drongo. Consider Southern Black Flycatcher maybe?

15. Wild card but I think that is a juv Red-billed Buffalo Weaver.

Look forward to what others think.:P

17 hours ago, Galana said:

10-11-12. Odds on these are all Cape Glossy. Location rules I think.

14. No stronger than a 'could be' from me. I don't like the bill shape and size for a starling. It looks fairly beat up and the eye colour dictates against FT Drongo. Consider Southern Black Flycatcher maybe?

15. Wild card but I think that is a juv Red-billed Buffalo Weaver.

Look forward to what others think.:P

Thanks!!

Let´s see if there are other ideas regarding 10-11-12 Starlings, before concluding on the Glossy.

13 - I checked the net and I think it´s quite clear that your call,  Southern Black Flycatcher, is right and I´ll count it like that if no one else disagrees, this other picture shows it coudn´t be the Red-winged Starling:

1158935889_IDIMG_9438.jpg.6c19523c63e280169c84a22fc9206d8c.jpg

14 - I think next picture gives enough evidence that it´s a juvenile Red-winged Buffalo Weaver as you say:

236898615_Red-billedBuffaloWeaverJuvenil.jpg.4f7d15e48fc0b926d0c20ebe364eb2ed.jpg

I don't like that 2nd shot 13/14 of the Black Flycatcher. body shape is wrong.

Back into the UFO pile I fear. Unless it is a juv FT Drongo which has a dark eye.

The real 14. 2nd photo. You should have shown that first. :lol:

1 hour ago, Galana said:

I don't like that 2nd shot 13/14 of the Black Flycatcher. body shape is wrong.

Back into the UFO pile I fear. Unless it is a juv FT Drongo which has a dark eye.

The real 14. 2nd photo. You should have shown that first. :lol:

You shattered my dreams on number 13, UFO´s don´t count...

If I had shown the 2nd 14 photo it would have been to easy for you, with the 1st photo you had the opportunity to shine and you did it :lol:.

Peter Connan

I don't think 13 is a Drongo either. I don't think the bill is hooked enough? It looks like a starling to me, but I have no idea which one.

Thanks anyway @Peter Connan, if you guys can´t ID that one that n´means it´s not possible.

Peter Connan

I'm not all that good at the ID'ing busyness. 

I have another doubt now, is this a Red-eye or a Cape Turtle Dove (my first call is Red-eye):

1810466926_IDIMG_8967Redeyeoucapeturtledove.jpg.18bb8a2bc57c25610f3231438f7f5a9c.jpg

Peter Connan

First call was correct.

Thanks Peter.

I agree. Red-eyed Dove.

Now about that UFO. @Peter Connan

What would you think of a very tatty Biurchell's that's had a  run in with the Lodge cat?

There is some 'blue gloss' around the initial front view.

Peter Connan

Bill seems a little light but perhaps it's a juvenile and the cat got it by the tail @Galana?

Probably the most likey suspect.

This one is from last year trip to Mashatu, not for BY but I´m making my lists at bubo.org and have to go to previous years trips, can´t ID these birds that are amongst the doves (didn´t see them this year):

1651832366_mashatu2018.jpg.793e77a52277acd47a647dbf3f24e444.jpg

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

Wattled Starlings.

Thanks Michael, didn’t check the starlings as they tend to be dark and forgot about this one.

Back to this year´s trip, this one was in a tree with red-billed queleas, I thought it might be a juvenile but can´t ID it, any ideas?

1798722336_IDIMG_9786.jpg.139101c20dd098c06cc0c1f245e7801d.jpg

Can it be a Familiar Chat?

Or just a Southern Grey-headed Sparrow ...

I don't know how accurate the colour is but I would have said Juvenile Masked Weaver?

3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I don't know how accurate the colour is but I would have said Juvenile Masked Weaver?

It´s difficult to say because it seems to be catching the sun, I also thought about masked weaver but I´m afraid that the sparrow call may be the right one.

Just found this one while running through my trip photos, looks like a Sabota lark to me, am I right?

828395370_SabotaLarkID.jpg.0c4803c38047cde5f8821bf4b0ebed6f.jpg

Edited by pedro maia

• 2 weeks later...