BY 2019 - Racing to the finish

pedro maia

On 10/22/2019 at 9:38 PM, TonyQ said:

@PeterHG I will be disappointed if I do not get to see you birds from Columbia because of an artificial deadline

Me too, but I don't think we need worry too much.

And here's another question. Can photos taken in 2019 but not yet posted be entered in the 2020 BY? Surely if the 2019 BY has been 'closed' then the 2020 BY has opened? :blink:

6 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Surely if the 2019 BY has been 'closed' then the 2020 BY has opened? :blink:

How I love the creativity of this thread! :D

I must admit when I opened this thread my heart sank. I never expected to be amongst the front runners, mostly because I have not really looked on this as a race, just a way of sharing the birds we see during the year and, for me in particular, getting to see images of birds I will probably not see in the flesh (feathers?).

Seeing the totals posted so starkly made me think that others might be taking this a bit more seriously than I was but after reading through the posts I can see that this is not the case at all. It is exactly what it should be, good fun.

Thanks @pedro maia, for an entertaining thread.

Dave Williams
3 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Seeing the totals posted so starkly made me think that others might be taking this a bit more seriously than I was but after reading through the posts I can see that this is not the case at all.

You speak for yourself Martin, I have a specially prepared dose of myxomatosis ready to post to Slovenia should the need arise! I'm going to get past that darn rabbit whatever it takes!

46 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

You speak for yourself Martin, I have a specially prepared dose of myxomatosis ready to post to Slovenia should the need arise! I'm going to get past that darn rabbit whatever it takes!

Exception noted @Dave Williams

@Dave Williams........ and others suggest it is not about 'winning' :lol::rolleyes: but simply playing the game!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I'm going to get past that darn rabbit whatever it takes!

Mxyie is nasty. All you need is a friendly Goshawk. So eco friendly it even cleans up after.^_^

2 hours ago, Soukous said:

Surely if the 2019 BY has been 'closed' then the 2020 BY has opened? 

Put like that. "No!" The word in play is "year".

It is only a game and we all know the Europeans don't understand Cricket. Exits to theme tune from Chariot's of Fire!

25 minutes ago, Galana said:

Mxyie is nasty. All you need is a friendly Goshawk. So eco friendly it even cleans up after.^_^

Please send the Goshawk down here, it´s one of my targets but so far I haven´t seen any.

4 hours ago, Soukous said:

Seeing the totals posted so starkly made me think that others might be taking this a bit more seriously

Us?! Nooo ....not us :lol:!

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I have a specially prepared dose of myxomatosis ready to post to Slovenia should the need arise! I'm going to get past that darn rabbit whatever it takes!

Aha, a glow has been thrown ... now, I still have about 10 days of holidays this year ... :ph34r:

I just love some of @xelas 's "typos". Use of Gauntlet wud beat the predictive test. TEXT.

Ah... I did wonder about glow...... :lol:

7 hours ago, wilddog said:

Ah... I did wonder about glow...... 

You have not seen the effect on him of a few Lasko. He lights up the room.:P

I left him some Manx Spirit but I think he is keeping it for winter nights.

4 hours ago, xelas said:

Give an old man some slak ...Lasko.

Lol, I probably won't get much more unless I create the time to go out and actually do some birding. Between two jobs and school right now, I just don't have time to do much photography. I'll probably have a few to add after my trip to Tampa and Ocala, but yeah. :( I'm going to try and dedicate at least two days a month next year to go out and photograph, but we'll see, lol. I need to get better with my camera if I'm supposed to go to the Mara in October.

51 minutes ago, Lyss said:

I'm going to try and dedicate at least two days a month next year to go out and photograph, but we'll see, lol. I need to get better with my camera if I'm supposed to go to the Mara in October.

If you stick to it 2 days a month should give you 18 days of practice before you hit the Mara. That should be plenty. Just make sure you're familiar & comfortable with your camera and you'll get some great shots.

Uptdate of The Race:

@michael-ibk - 516

@TonyQ - 490

@Kitsafari - 469

@Tdgraves - 461

@PeterHG - 373

@xelas - 358

@Dave Williams - 357

@Galana - 291

@pedro maia - 243

@Soukous - 213

@mvecht - 195

@Peter Connan - 184

@Alex Rogers - 168

@lmSA84 - 133

@Zim Girl - 108

@Treepol - 74

@Lyss - 19

@roseclaw - 8

Tony is on the brink of catching Michael, Kitsafari has some updates to do but doesn´t seem to have many more birds from Gabon and Tdgraves finished her SA count, the real danger for everyone up there  is PeterHG with his Colombia trip, and I think nobody will accept if he doesn´t count all the birds from that trip, no matter how long it takes.

I´m not competing with anyone, just trying to reach 200 in Portugal, I got a last minute place for a fishing trip next friday, I hope I will be able to add a few maritimes to my count even though it will be hell to ID them.

By the way, Xelas must be feeling Dave´s breath on his neck...

Edited by pedro maia

4261 is really impressive! B):rolleyes:

Dave Williams

@xelasJust because I've got no hare doesn't make me an alien Alex!  Anyway before the day is out........

11 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

But still shy of the BY world record: The world big year record of 6,852 species was set in 2016 by Arjan Dwarshuis of the Netherlands.

1 minute ago, Dave Williams said:

Just because I've got no hare doesn't make me an alien Alex!

I was referring to the breathing, @Dave Williams ^_^

2 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Anyway before the day is out........

Luckily there will be another day tomorrow ;)

Dave Williams
14 minutes ago, xelas said:

But still shy of the BY world record: The world big year record of 6,852 species was set in 2016 by Arjan Dwarshuis of the Netherlands.

He didn't photograph them though! The record was broken by the ex warden of our local RSPB reserve, along with his partner back in 2008.It sparked a few more attempts that added another 50%+ to their total. It was his launch pad to a new career, guided birding trips home and abroad plus the odd after dinner speaking type of thing.

Seem to be doing OK but way too expensive for my budget!!

http://www.birdwatchingtrips.co.uk/about

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

Math was never my thing :lol:.

58 minutes ago, xelas said:

I was referring to the breathing, @Dave Williams ^_^

Luckily there will be another day tomorrow ;)

That was a Scarlett O’Hara momment B).