An altogether memorable trip to Kafue NP

BRACQUENE

In honour of ZOO9 , the river and the lake !

DSCF8095 (2).JPG

DSCF8087.JPG

DSCF8094 (2).JPG

DSCF8091.JPG

DSCF8658 (2).JPG

DSCF9133 (2).JPG

DSCF8980.JPG

DSCF8885 (2).JPG

DSCF8767.JPG

DSCF9378 (2).JPG

DSCF9173.JPG

DSCF9205.JPG

DSCF9209.JPG

DSCF9207.JPG

DSCF9210.JPG

DSCF9155 (2).JPG

DSCF9223 (2).jpg

DSCF9212 (2).JPG

@Atravelynn

I am really impressed by your albums in the member section "Musekese & Ntemwa"  and " Kafue Roots" ; fantastic images of the Red-billed Firefinch and the Red-throated Twinspots I have not on my list above and those Sable !! One of the few regrets I have from my recent Kafue trip is to have seen only three lonely males and no herds at all. 

That Puku Jump was probably taken on the same spot as mine !?

@ Africlan 

Those afternoon riversafaris at Musekese followed by sundowners were indeed awesome ! It was so I remember pleasantly warm and Phil was as always the ideal guide and host!

14 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

@Atravelynn

I am really impressed by your albums in the member section "Musekese & Ntemwa"  and " Kafue Roots" ; fantastic images of the Red-billed Firefinch and the Red-throated Twinspots Thanks!  I have not on my list above and those Sable !! One of the few regrets I have from my recent Kafue trip is to have seen only three lonely males and no herds at all.   In 2017 we searched for days for sable herds in Busanga and found only about 3, like you.  Then on the way out of Musekese at the end of our trip we encountered a herd of sable, the only one.

That Puku Jump was probably taken on the same spot as mine !?  I think it was and maybe the same puku hops back and forth every day.

I realized I erred when I wrote no hyena earlier.  Checking my notes, we saw one on a night drive.  No photographic proof. 

Phil was indeed the ideal guide and host. 

• 2 weeks later...

We ended our safari in Livingstone after a four hours drive from Nanzilha and stayed for the night at Protea Hotel Livingstone ; in the afternoon we visited Mosi a Tunya national park  and even with the beautiful scenery close to the Zambezi River it was a bit of a let down after the incredible experience in Kafue !  After a short walk we saw  the imported white  Rhinos , together with the imported black rhinos in North Luangwa  the only remaining in Zambia , and even if the photos give the impression we were alone  don't be fooled : we were surrounded by more than twenty people 

DSCF9817.JPG

DSCF9864.JPG

DSCF9869.JPG

DSCF9872.JPG

DSCF9878.JPG

DSCF9882.JPG

DSCF9884.JPG

DSCF9887.JPG

DSCF9889.jpg

DSCF9891.JPG

DSCF9893.JPG

DSCF9895.JPG

DSCF9901.JPG

DSCF9909.JPG

DSCF9905.JPG

To be complete ,  in the Lusaka NP opened in 2015 there are white Rhino as well !

offshorebirder
On 11/18/2019 at 2:45 AM, BRACQUENE said:

initially the idea was to add Liuwa Plains but Tony Mc Keith made me hesitate because it was only september and november is said to be the month to go because of the wildebeest and zebra migration  : now I am regretting not to have done it for a few days ; the only  lodge King Lewanika is very expensive  but Jeffery and Mc Keith have launched a mobile operation there and that is in my mind for the near future !

@BRACQUENE and @AfricIan - a bit of advice to set expectations:  the J&M mobile camp in Liuwa Plains is also fairly expensive.

We did not end up getting a quorum (4 people needed) for our just-concluded Zambia safari, but for 4 people, 4 nights, flying in from Livingstone:  the price quoted was $4175 per person.

Edited by offshorebirder

@offshorebirder

Thanks à lot for that information !

To set up a mobile operation in such a remote area is of course understandably very expensive but if we want to go the options are limited At what period of the year did you propose to go there?

offshorebirder
1 hour ago, BRACQUENE said:

At what period of the year did you propose to go there?

mid-to-late November.

• 2 weeks later...

As I was entering the fascinating world of Safaritalk from mid-november this year I had no idea what to expect really but could not imagine in a minute that it would be so rewarding , time consuming and addictive at the same time ; before becoming a member , reading about wildlife , parks and camps and planning safaris was high on my priority list , something even my wife and two sons would not  have believed roughly 10 years ago !

When I see the recent enthusiasm of so many members  for my favorite country Zambia and the two parks I visited  already , it makes me even more happy having been able to contribute to the increasing interest it creates not in the least after reports like that about the Kafue Roots by  @Atravelynn

Thank you all for your much appreciated reactions and Merry Christmas to everybody

Some more memories from the Busanga Plains to make you dream... Even if there was drought , fire arround the camp and a gusting cold wind , who could ever forget those herds of Lechwe !

DSCF7551.JPG

DSCF7563.JPG

DSCF7594.JPG

DSCF7596.JPG

DSCF7630.JPG

DSCF7663.JPG

DSCF7753.JPG

DSCF7814.JPG

DSCF7782 (2).JPG

DSCF7857.JPG

DSCF7858.JPG

DSCF7859.JPG

DSCF7863.JPG

DSCF7917.JPG

DSCF8026.JPG

DSCF8032.JPG

DSCF8066.JPG

DSCF8072.JPG

DSCF8086.JPG

DSCF8097.JPG

DSCF8101.JPG

DSCF8107.JPG

DSCF8173.JPG

DSCF8132.jpg

Video works now, thanks for permission.  There's Phil!  So the "root" (ha ha) word in Musekese means to make laugh.  Interesting! 

@Atravelynn

Glad you liked the video ;  his comments and stories were always interesting and I learned a lot about the park during our stay there!

• 1 year later...

post removed, wrong thread

Edited by Athene
sorry, wrong thread