A Trip to the Top of the World: Svalbard, August 2019

Alexander33

@Sangeeta

I’m glad you found your way back, and thanks so much for your kind words. 

On 12/24/2019 at 2:03 PM, Sangeeta said:

@gatoratlarge and I are doing floe-edge camping in the Baffin Islands this year (mainly for narwhal & bears)

Wow!  That sounds intriguing. I’ve been trying to figure out how to do a trip there, although I haven’t put in a full effort, so I’m already looking forward to your report back. 

I was happily gliding along calm waters with you and thought, yes one day I can do this trip on still waters, well, that is until I came to the 23-foot water walls. that's a major reason why I won't do the drake sea crossing to the antartica, and now I wonder about Svalbard. 

Thank you for such a great TR, really enjoyed sailing with you and just immersing into a different universe of peaceful silence and solitude and other-worldly landscapes. and those polar bears! and walruses - just incredible. 

The_Norwegian

This has been an amazing tripreport! Very well written, great pictures! BTW, norwegians aren`t allowed to get seasick, it says so in our birthcertficates ;-) 

• 2 years later...
kilopascal

Re-reading this in the midst of the current twin Svalbard reports and can't believe I didn't give it all the 'likes' it deserves back when I first read it @Alexander33So instead of bulking up your in box I'll just give it the kudos it deserves now. Shortly after you posted this I went to the Arctic Wildlife Tours website and booked a tour for August 2023.  A very inspiring report and it's going to be difficult for me to wait the 14 months.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also reading this for the first time.

Absolutely great stuff. I would settle for half that (including 11 foot waves).

BTW I am with Walrus as both singular and plural.

Crocus is Crocii but that is Latin. I doubt the Romans ever saw one so had no word for it.:o

Thanks again for sharing.