Kruger South to North September 2019: Rooineks and rare antelope

Tdgraves

Day 11, Transfer Shingwedzi to Punda Maria, 11/9/19

This again started with more rare buck, just near to the waterhole, but this time, roan...

7T4A6951

7T4A6956

As you can see, it was very hot (33 degrees)

7T4A6972

Close to Punda Maria we had a Kruger first...

7T4A6983

7T4A6988

And then it was time to check in. This was another new camp to us and it is tiny! We had a safari tent and with slightly higher quality linen and a couple of artworks, it really could be a private lodge, especially as we were on the fence. Very pleasant indeed!

I really enjoy your report and your pictures... And you had some great sightings of lions and leopards. And elands and roan antelope! That must be very unusual in Kruger (and very lucky).. And another reason I find your report very interesting, is that I am gonna do an almost similar trip in july :)  

Do you have any photos of the white lion? I saw him in december 2018 on the S41. He was alone, but I heard that he was in a group with 4 other males.. I have attached a picture of him below.

image.png.f786844925370b33cb2b7465df053213.png

@JayRon we saw him as a cub! Yes, he was one of the four in our S100 sighting, but due to the position of our vehicle, my picture was rubbish.

This trip was the first time that we had seen roan, eland or tssessebe in the Kruger and the first time we had gone north of mopani, so I think the two must be linked....

this was was the most leopard sightings we had had in one trip and I think if our game drive maths was correct, probably equal or greater than our total ever. We have had several trips with no sightings whatsoever. Also, we definitely had more duiker sightings September compared to January and bizarrely white-crowned helmet-shrikes!

Hi @JayRon and @Tdgraves I also saw the white lion on the S100 as a cub back in 2015 I think. I had very good views of him but only had a smallish lens back then. The car next to me emailed me some photo's which were fantastic. My photo is the first one :( 

@Tdgraves I hope you dont mind me adding the photo's of the white lion cub.

December January Africa 583.JPG

Satara S100 white lion cub 1.jpg

Satara S100 white lion cub 3 - Copy.jpg

Satara S100 white lion cub 4.jpg

Edited by Hads

I was hoping to get this finished before my next trip, but it was not to be. Leaving for the airport in 12 hours and I’m not packed yet and feeling very disorganised :wacko: ...

16 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

Leaving for the airport in 12 hours and I’m not packed yet and feeling very disorganised :wacko: ...

I feel sorry for you ... :unsure: ... or maybe jealous ???

Have a great trip!

Edited by xelas

Another Safari - enjoy @Tdgraves and I'm looking forward to the report already.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:13 PM, xelas said:

The light on your Coot is a wet dream of any photographer! If nothing else would be seen, that first photo is a reward for driving to Zibulo!

Someone else agrees @xelas shortlisted in the Africa geographic photographic competition this week!

:D

https://magazine.africageographic.com/weekly/issue-290/photographer-year-2020-weekly-selection-week-7-gallery-2/

Congratulations! Wow!

Thanks @Peter Connan

landed this morning, staying in Delareyville to break the journey. Off to Barberspan nature reserve in the morning, not sure what it’ll be like....

Oh wow wow congratulations Tracey! Well deserved, I must say. Enjoy your trip, we will follow your general direction soon.

Edited by xelas

Welcome.

Barberspan is another of those places I have been meaning to get to. I believe there is at least one hide there.

Enjoy!

Very cool and well deserved, Bravo!

Thanks @michael-ibk

@Peter Connan I think Barberspan has potential, but the weather was not kind to us. There are tracks very close to the water (and hence the birds). Managed 46 species in two hours, including a much closer flamingo!

Thanks Tracy. Sorry about the weather.

That's not bad for two hours! @PeterHG counted the birds we saw at Marievale yesterday and came up with something over 60, but that was a lot more than 2 hours...

• 3 weeks later...

Day 11, Evening drive, Punda Maria, 11/9/19

There is a circular road from camp which is about 24km and we thought that would be ideal after a long drive in the day. It was 34 degrees as we left and we decided to go anticlockwise.

7T4A7000

7T4A7007

7T4A7012

7T4A7015

The major excitement of the drive was a grumpy ele. A bakkie was stopped ahead of us, on a small hill. There was a small herd to his right. He waited ages and ages to pass and then decided to really rev up his diesel engine to get over the hill. Which really p@@@ed off the eles and left us in a very difficult position. Luckily they eventually decided to move off, allowing us to continue....

Day 12, Morning drive, Punda Maria, 12/9/19

We had decided to drive up to Pafuri and Crook's corner on our last long day. We have been there before, when staying at the Outpost. It was 19 degrees when we left and was a massive 36 degrees when we returned and I had the 7D.

Unfortunately, the road to the main tar is gravel and corrugated. We got stuck behind a slow vehicle, which is not what you want on corrugations, so when there was an alternative route, we took it. This eagle was trying to take off with a huge stick

J19A9022

J19A9027

The main road north did not reveal much, but Pafuri was a revelation. It felt like the Lower Zambezi, with the large trees providing cover around the river. Because it is quite a way, we also had a first for us: we rented a skottle braai and made breakfast at the picnic site! I managed to remember everything except cooking oil, but luckily I had packed the butter in the cooler box.

7T4A7018

7T4A7019

7T4A7024

(above 3 courtesy of the OH)

J19A9038

J19A9042

J19A9047

J19A9055

J19A9067

J19A9062

J19A9097

J19A9091

and we'll finish with one more from the OH. I was driving and this was from the bridge looking into the river bed

7T4A7042

There were fewer birds than I had hoped, but it was a lovely morning out, especially with our breakfast braai!

On 1/18/2020 at 2:23 AM, Tdgraves said:

Someone else agrees @xelas shortlisted in the Africa geographic photographic competition this week!

:D

https://magazine.africageographic.com/weekly/issue-290/photographer-year-2020-weekly-selection-week-7-gallery-2/

Congrats! I came late to finish your TR, and you're already done with the January KTP trip, so looking forward to reading that TR as well. :)

added : oops your TR is ongoing - so I'm not too late! Parfuri looks like a lovely place. we had considered it after we watched a documentary episode on the park, and I almost booked a trip there but one of my dogs became very ill so I gave it up. 

Edited by Kitsafari

I love that sleeping hog!