GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@GalanaWell done, you got there much quicker than I anticipated, I was trying to think up some cryptic clues that might suggest that this bird is a bit of a rock chick, but I can give up on that now.

4 hours ago, Galana said:

Strange name,strange bird. Galana's Law would never work with this one. Limestone Leaf Warbler?

For this bird it is not its appearance that's important, the name is a reference to its habitat, but my photo doesn't give a lot away about its habitat, it lives in what I would call limestone jungle, or as my Vietnam book says, broadleaved evergreen forest in limestone karst regions. This shot is an example of the sort of habitat where you might find it.

49788607021_64a7886af2_o.jpg 

Over to you.

Well I will move off the Ssp. and go for Galana's Law again.

1-DSCN6515.JPG.c9518cf821e2f00ae2447cf105134e85.JPG

I was going to suggest Cassin's Grey Flycatcher. 

plumage looks a lot like Yellow-footed Flycatcher except that the most obvious field mark is missing

3 hours ago, mvecht said:

how about white eyed slaty flycatcher?

Why not? That seemed too easy.

An amendment to my Law? Beware the sneaky Slaty Flycatcher in the west of East Africa.

Over to you.

Edited by Galana

OK The next one is not from the west of East Africa!

sp.JPG.9785aec3e3d6aa914879ab15abdc95d1.JPG

2 hours ago, mvecht said:

The next one is not from the west of East Africa!

I agree.

Sticking with Flycatchers I thought first of the east of West Africa with Bedford's in mind but I then had a flash of common sense and went even further west, a lot further west.

It's  a Phoebe and a black one at that.

Black Phoebe from the Golden State. or down a bit more.;)

@GalanaI have not been to West Africa (yet) so it was good that you considered other areas. The bird was photographed in San Francisco and yes it is a Black Phoebe. Over to you. 

Fun!   We have Black Phoebes here.... at the pool, in the garden and flitting outside the house.  And, one comes each day to say hello or just check in.

Welcome to the game @marg

Here is something to test you along with the others.

1-IMG_7877.JPG.0e6d454ad9d89e7eb0cc956151f13365.JPG

@Galana

Is it Taveta Golden Weaver (Ploceus castaneiceps)? 

1 hour ago, inyathi said:

Is it Taveta Golden Weaver (Ploceus castaneiceps)? 

If I said no I would be untruthful.

Over to you.

@GalanaI thought this is obviously a weaver, but I wasn't expecting it to be that easy, however, when I looked at Sinclair's BOA South of the Sahara book and saw the Taveta, I thought it has got to be that, the band of chestnutty colour on the hindcrown gave it away, for once having all the possible options in one book proved a big help, as I could see there were no other good matches.

I don't want to use up too many hard ones, so I will go with what may prove to be a nice easy one.

SL0003.JPG.bbbe9a0b8502dd263b81fcb973a8d6d6.JPG

Yes. The Taveta is one that you either get straight away or struggle with.

A bit like Pittas. If only to rule it out I am going for the obvious. Indian Pitta?

@Galana Well, I did say it might prove a nice easy one and so it did, yes it is an Indian Pitta, even choosing my worst shot of it, didn't make it very difficult.  

Edited by inyathi

1 minute ago, inyathi said:

even choosing my worst shot of it,

I thought you were going for the EBC Trophy.:lol:

Actually your shot was probably helpful as that is how I usually see them.

1-2009_0427IndiaFred0379.JPG.72f390f49aecbd93a07ed70f48d05ff2.JPG

Well if EBCs are now the order of the day, perhaps you would like to try this one?:P1-DSCN1208.JPG.6bef66dfed5891bb391d36afda2e83d6.JPG

@GalanaAcacia Pied Barbet (Tricholaema leucomelas)?

Edited by inyathi

3 hours ago, inyathi said:

Acacia Pied Barbet

1-DSCN1121.JPG.7841a07eb886e4308b6c950b79e68660.JPG

Well that did not take long.Next time expect a photo with the lenscap still on.

@Galana I'm afraid that one was just too easy for me, it was the tree that gave it away, the bark of the tree was the first thing that caught my eye, I though that has to be a Quiver Tree or Kokerboom  (Aloidendron dichotomum) and it only grows in Namibia and Northern Cape in South Africa, the bird even though not much of it is visible, had the look of a barbet and I think they are nearly all hole nesters, Acacia Pied Barbet was then the first bird that popped into my head, having seen it in Namibia and it is the only barbet that occurs in the right region, to be nesting in a Quiver Tree.  

Okay, how about this pair?

SL0004.JPG.71d30fc6589ba3d9950721a9e3573e97.JPG

Darn it. Never thought about the bloomin Tree. Canon Lodge, Namibia. Made it too easy as it is the only Barbet in the area.

Oh. Well.

My serve.

If I am correct this will be a further Ace for Galana's Law.

That is one ugly bird but obviously some sort of Parrot. In fact with Bronze wings it could well be a Bronze-winged Pionus no doubt snapped during one of your forays around Latin America.

@GalanaWe do seem to be playing tennis at the moment, I did think that my parrots might not prove too difficult, as for once I chose to pick an Ecuadorian species, I thought you might have seen these birds or if not you would know they were South American and would have the right book to look in.

Bronze-winged parrot or Bronze-winged Pionus (Pionus chalcopterus)

Back to you.  

Edited by inyathi

1 hour ago, inyathi said:

would have the right book to look in.

Yes. I have just looked at it and there it was. Should have looked there first. I see I had ticked off the other three Pionus but never went low on the west side so missed that Bronze-winged.

I'm running out of birds. I will have to dig deep.

@Galana Gulls are always difficult but I will stick my neck out. Western Gull?