GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@Galana

Perhaps an immature White-Eyed (  eye-ring in fact ) Slaty-Flycatcher ( Melaenornis fischeri ) native to the East-African Highlands ?

image.png.b98c30fdcb355682d23cb8b9c82fc172.png

6 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

White-Eyed (  eye-ring in fact ) Slaty-Flycatcher

Whilst I can see the resemblance my subject is not your choice.

A good tip for all stages of plumage on WE Slatey is the bill colouration with that black tip. (Sorry about the pun.)

@Galana

A young White-starred robin (Pogonocichla stellata),  seen here in Nyungwe Forest, Rwanda ? image.png.6e8d8424134ec229b016dcd5207f7e45.png

Absolutely. Mine was seen in Echuya just over the border.

Well done with your persistence.

Your turn.

Thanks for the kind words @Galanaand for me it is even more difficult to find suitable pictures ( meaning blurred or partly hidden ones:lol:) so hopefully others will have a go as well ; here is the next one: 

0F8157AA-1B7E-4F75-AEC9-2B6493252BFE_1_105_c.jpeg.88436884c8e8e77c0170af2bd5242980.jpeg

5 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

( meaning blurred or partly hidden ones:lol:)

I know what you mean. All the 100s of shots that we throw in the bin never thinking that a use could be found for them in this game.

I shall sit this one out for a while 'pour encouragez les autres' as Bonaparte is reported to have remarked.:P

Looks like everyone has gone shopping.

Given that this bird ID will depend on which holiday you took it on, Tanzania or Zambia/Zimbabwe it will be one of two species.

I am opening with Zim/Zam as you have been there more often I think so will pick

Meve's Starling (Lamprotornis mevesii) but hope that I am wrong.

@Galana

Late shopping then :D if I see when you posted your answer but I am afraid you are right even if this isn't the perfect picture either ( but the long tail is obvious ) taken on a walk in Zambia close to Chikoko Tree Camp in September 2014 : your turn again but now I think I will have a break :lol:image.png.703581d5097ec76aee5f1f2b5d931aa1.png

I know just how you feel.

6 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

but now I think I will have a break :lol:

You could of course have used this one that you took in July:-

77F0C57E-34DB-43E4-ADFC-80C6B0A240E3_1_201_a.jpeg.d7be003a19895f7f348c3fc7119b1f5c.jpeg.6a9e7bc4b5bfdb1a69d42ea2b5882695.jpeg

Now I am faced with the decision to find another tough one and lose the patience of fellow players or throw the game with a really easy one and then sit on my hands.:(

On 12/3/2021 at 9:18 AM, BRACQUENE said:

your turn again but now I think I will have a break :lol:

But not eternally , as no one has a go so @GalanaLaniarius ruficeps or Red-napped Bushshrike 

1132029101_Schermafbeelding2021-12-05om16_00_07.png.df81d3560c169335ff36d88d7fbc3992.png

Well you could not resist after all.

A better photo than mine but it could even be the same bush in Tsavo East where I saw mine..

Back to you.

The next one is a giveaway but it would be nice if you could tell me where I took it ;)

image.png.720dc40ee69a4841d3f23a14b289d56e.png

Well the bird as you say is a giveaway and a worthy photo subject.

As to where you saw it, it's range is from Ethiopia to the south coast of Africa but for your travels we can rule out Ethiopia , Central Africa and Angola.

That leaves Kenya, Tanzania , Zambia and Zimbabwe and habitat is coastal and riverine forests. From what I know of your travels we have Northern circuit of TZ, and Ruaha. South Luangwa and Kafue plus Mana Pools in Zim. All good riverine areas.

I am going to suggest you took this in your old favourite NP of South Luangwa.

@Galana

Sorry Fred but you seem to have forgotten the name of the bird even if it is a giveaway:D ; as for the place it wasn't in South Luangwa but that's not important 

3 minutes ago, BRACQUENE said:

you seem to have forgotten the name of the bird 

Not forgotten, just omitted to avoid another Coronation.

Well both the bird and the poster seem to be out on a limb.

Was the limb in Ruaha perhaps?

Coronation was mentioned which puts me in mind of Royalty.

@xelaswould suggest 'another king bulbul?'

@BRACQUENE@Galana

Sorry, if I’ve been somewhat preoccupied with the problem of whether or not I will be able to fly to Chad and back again next Feb/March, due to complications thrown up by the silly requirement to get PCR tested before leaving Chad, this is proving a major headache and has meant having to put booking air tickets on hold, but that’s is not a subject for this thread.

I too am a bit reluctant to jump in and go for this one, I will say that it is a Ruaha hornbill, but not the actual Ruaha or Tanzanian Red-billed Hornbill, but a different more widespread species. I guess as we have stalled on one, that is not in my view at all difficult, we are back to the problem of not having enough players or maybe the pandemic has prevented some players from replenishing their stock of photos and no one wants to have to take a turn.   

1 hour ago, inyathi said:

and no one wants to have to take a turn.   

Well it is nearly Christmas and the season for parlour games. Is this 'Pass the parcel" or 'Musical chairs' but where  the winner actually loses?

@inyathiI almost share your pain re 2022. Having been frustrated last August by variations in Red list faster than I could plan I am back in that game again. This time Namibia. I am blowed if I will take 10 days in UK so having booked with ET I am to plan the return by getting 'off' in ADD and taking a side trip somewhere not red listed for 10 days before coming briefly to UK and hopping home. The problem is lack of the ability to forecast where will be clear.

Fingers crossed that this will all go away by March.

1 minute ago, Galana said:

Well it is nearly Christmas and the season for parlour games. Is this 'Pass the parcel" or 'Musical chairs' but where  the winner actually loses?

I think you are right it probably is, I may give the answer eventually if no one else does, but if I can find a really difficult one, that's not from somewhere I've written a report on, to make it harder for Poirot that will likely stall the game for a while, then again I could just post something very easy and let someone else decide if they want a turn or not, I'll think about it.   

@GalanaAs I understand it, I should only need what I am now calling the brain poke test (after reading a post on Tripadvisor), in order to re-enter the UK, but apparently the Chadians won't let people on to flights without a PCR, I hope when you plan to get off in ADD, that there aren't too many surface-to-air missiles flying around in Ethiopian airspace, that could ruin your day, this is another complication, I'm a bit reluctant to book ET whilst the civil war is ongoing and no one can predict what the situation will be in Feb/March. It won't have any bearing on my problem, but I hope that our red list will be gone again by March, but I fear it may not :(   

3 hours ago, inyathi said:

I hope when you plan to get off in ADD,

We change planes there going and returning. ET are used to Eritrean threats. I once landed at ADD to see rows of SAMs around the perimeter as we taxied in. Eritrea had acquired two clapped out Sukhoi Bombers that supposedly could reach ADD from Asmara. They never did. A bit like Idi Amin's famous 'air show' in which the 'defending' fighter crashed before engaging the Radio controlled "attacker". This led the British trained controller to order "For Christ's sake dial 'Spin' "  to bring down the attacker.:D

Seriously, ET just move their hub to NBO until the heat is off.

My concern is UK incarcerating me.

But I have over two months yet to plan. Everything else is booked, Hi Luxe, Lodges etc., If it gets silly I will just stay in the desert longer.

But that is not seeing off that Bulbul.

@Galana so much for my idea of not discussing this here :lol:

11 hours ago, Galana said:

Seriously, ET just move their hub to NBO until the heat is off.

Yes I was in Ethiopia in 1999, when that was the case, it was very boring when we had to fly from ADD to NBO in order to fly back to London, my concern is purely that the US FAA issued a warning last month, to pilots operating out of ADD about the danger of ground fire

US warns pilots of possible ‘surface-to-air fire’ in Ethiopia

Edited by inyathi

@inyathi @Galana

Reading everything this morning I thought I was actually in another topic at least the latter part :D but as this is about birds I can tell you that though it is easy as everybody agrees on , apart from Ruaha which is correct I have not yet seen the exact answer ?