GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Yes. We were staying in Mahangu Lodge and one of the guides knew where to find it and Red breasted Tit. Not in the NP but along the main Caprivi highway. Drove straight there. Walked around a bit and there they were. Dipped on the Tit.

Not even sure where to start looking for your current offering.

Capture.JPG.a2444ef2aae3833ed192d71e0258c599.JPG

Edited by Galana

offshorebirder
3 hours ago, inyathi said:

This games been going so long, I'm always a bit worried that I might mistakenly repost a bird that I've entered before

You are not the only one with such worries!

Just to be clear the bird I posted above is a Jay and not a suggestion for the answer to @inyathi's post. I was just struck by the resemblance.

13 hours ago, Galana said:

Not even sure where to start looking for your current offering.

@Galana

In one of your bird books of course, I'll leave it to you to decide which one. :D

That bird which I presume is a Canada Jay, does look really a pretty similar in plumage, there's a bit of a size difference though. 

Edited by inyathi

3 hours ago, inyathi said:

there's a bit of a size difference though. 

Yes. I saw that. I was searching for far eastern birds (gotta start somewhere) when the jay popped up an I was struck by the facial pattern.

I have been otherwise engaged today with birds with Red in their name for BY.

Working through the book but I don't think I have the right one.:(

@inyathi  your bird is not easy!   Ashy Minivet?

Beaten to the bell.

Just come to the page to suggest that after hours looking to check the head and back.

@mvechtCorrect, I thought this one would be quite tricky, there are 15 different species of minivets listed on Wikipedia, I'm not sure if all of those are recognised though, as other sites list fewer, but most of them have bright red, orange or yellow on them, the ashy is one of perhaps 3 that have no bright colours on them at all, if you're familiar with the bright red and black scarlet minivet, you might not think, that my bird could really be a minivet as well.   

@GalanaSince you missed out on that one, if you have time to spare from your BY birds, whilst waiting for the next entry here, perhaps you could help out a new member with some Ugandan birds, as you may not have seen his post  MY UGANDAN ADVENTURE, I haven't posted a reply as yet, as I've only just seen it, but given your love of Uganda, it shouldn't take you too long.    

1 hour ago, inyathi said:

perhaps you could help out a new member with some Ugandan birds,

I have ordered a Pint on you!:lol:

This one should not be too difficult.

nn_2841.JPG.155389e4ee7a28abd047d997cea67fcf.JPG

Blue-Crowned Motmot?

@michael-ibk Michael, In the past your answer might have been correct but in modern IUCN terminology you will have to find another speciesB)

Well I suppose we could perhaps run through the various 'splits' so I will start with Trinidad version "bahamensis"?

It all depends where and when one went on holiday. And did the split  take place before or after the photo was taken?

Edited by Galana

@Galana @michael-ibk  It is getting complicated! I did not realise that the split was as late as 2010 and the picture taken in 2008. The split was based on the various birds having significantly different plumage and the bird now known as the Blue-crowned Motmot lives in Mexico.

The picture was taken in Tobago so Galana has the right answer. The Tobagan species is believed to have been isolated for more than 10,000  years as they do not like to cross large bodies of water. Looking at pictures on the web does not really help as they mix the different species without using the correct (new) names.

If OK with you Galana I think we should declare Michael the winner?

Thanks @mvecht, but I´m very happy with @Galanaas a winner (mainly because I`m too lazy to look for a new bird). :P

48 minutes ago, mvecht said:

If OK with you Galana I think we should declare Michael the winner?

That was my intention in posting as I did.

I can claim no glory from just swotting up on IUCN splits that I was unaware of.

I reasoned that most folks see this bird in Trinidad/Tobago so picked that one after checking a likeness on Wiki.

Even surer now knowing the bird bore @michael-ibk's label when photoed.

Anyway he needs a break from processing all those lovely birds he saw in Zambia ready for updating his BY AND a Trip report.:D

Sorry @Galana, misunderstood, I thought we were agreed you'd carry on. Anyway, you kinda have to, I'm not at home the next days and cannot access my pictures. So over to you. :)

3 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

So over to you. 

Ok then.

Try this.

1-DSCF5712.JPG.d38a044650b82238f6ad5e7caeb6d6e9.JPG

Two 'likes' and no tries won't give the answer.

😂

11 hours ago, Galana said:

Two 'likes' and no tries won't give the answer.

sorry, I only have my UK book with me 

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

Sorry. That won't be a lot of use.:(

4 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

😂

How true.

9 hours ago, Soukous said:

Second thoughts. It appears that having the book is not a lot of use either.:D

Go for Google.

is it a juvenile dusky twinspot by any chance? :P:lol: