GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

White-browed scrub robin?

@kittykat23ukSorry Jo. Not a WB Scrub-Robin although you did cause a momentary angst in case I had done it again. But no, after a quick check back I am in the clear.:lol:

Edited by Galana
added text.

@GalanaNot too sure yet, but it looks like a warbler of some kind and I think it's sitting on a euphorbia, this I hope tells me that it's an African species, but I need to have a proper look at some books. 

It is probably the wrong habitat but I will try with Pallas leaf warbler?

Edited by mvecht
typo

2 hours ago, mvecht said:

It is probably the wrong habitat

True but a valiant try. I can see a resemblance.

@Galana it seems like no one wants to have a go. Can you maybe offer a clue?

@GalanaIt's certainly a warbler I'm sure of that, but if it's an African species, the marking on the shoulder are confusing me a bit, I need to look at some more books I think.   

Sorry if you have heard this before but if nobody is having a go I cannot do much about that from my end be it Penguin or Parrot. I am mindful that I was asked to play as the game was dying and wonder if it should not be allowed to go?:(

The habitat should point anybody to the right field guide to look at.

@inyathithe 'shoulder' is more the alula I think and the activity of the bird may have given undue prominence to it.

In the field it took us quite a bit to work out what we were looking at too.

Well to me it looks more like a wren than a warbler, and the cactus means scrubby/desert country, but its definitely not a Cactus Wren :)  I'll take a wild guess and say Bewick's Wren although I don't know if @Galana has ever birded in western North America.

Edited by janzin

10 hours ago, janzin said:

I don't know if @Galana has ever birded in western North America.

Only from San Diego whilst waiting for a boat to Cabo San Juan.

Not a Wren and wrong sort of Cactus. This one can hide more than feathers.:)

1-DSCN6052.JPG.85b2809854006f002145434ebc78be0b.JPG

@mvecht

Good try again. Perhaps Wood is too generic?

@Galana As I suspected the plant is a Euphorbia candelabra, similar in appearance to a cactus but not a cactus, in the same way that, that cat despite similarities certainly isn't a jaguar, so we are definitely in Africa, I will suggest based on distribution as much as appearance olivaceous warbler?

Edited by inyathi

@Galana  I enterpret your latest  clue as  this could be a member of the Parulidae aka New World Warblers. I dont have any experience nor any guidebooks so maybe @janzincan step in?

Good to see the thread back and working.

I interpret your latest  clue as  this could be a member of the Parulidae aka New World Warblers.

Well if it does that was not my intention.:(

I am fairly sure @janzin has never been here. (Despite my pressing recommendations.:P)

2 hours ago, inyathi said:

so we are definitely in Africa,

1-2009_0105Frd20420.JPG.1724247c2a810a2ebc0c61b3eab5fd03.JPG

Popular hang outs these Candelabras.

Sorry. Not an Olivacious (as far as anybody can can be sure.)

@Galana  I enterpret your latest  clue as  this could be a member of the Parulidae aka New World Warblers. I dont have any experience nor any guidebooks so maybe @janzincan step in?

I think we established its definitely Africa by the Leopard!

4 minutes ago, janzin said:

I think we established its definitely Africa by the Leopard!

If not the Leopard then the genus of the "Cactus" would do so.

So near and yet so far.

8 minutes ago, Galana said:

I am fairly sure @janzin has never been here. (Despite my pressing recommendations.:P)

Well that is narrowing it down, I'm thinking Namibia because I don't think Uganda has these type of Euphorbias.

How about Karoo Prinia?

Sorry. Not Namibia and therefore not Karoo Prinia.

Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus)?

well that leopard looks familiar,  definitely Queen Elizabeth National Park, So I will guess icterine warbler.

34 minutes ago, kittykat23uk said:

well that leopard looks familiar,

True enough. Just to illustrate the use to which Candelabra can be put. Sadly not an Ikky though.

Equally sadly I am now unable to fully use my cryptic clue "may even be heard smacking during a maiden over"!:D

You can read it anyway as @mvechtraises his bat to acknowledge his win. Well played Sir!

@Galana  You had me confused for a while when you mentioned that "Wood warbler" was to generic as I found out that Parulidae are often referred to as "Wood Warblers"!

Have a go at this one. It should not be too difficult.

IMG_3154.JPG.0c52f859e158cd309cadfcdc93271dd6.JPG

7 hours ago, mvecht said:

"Wood warbler" was to generic

Sorry to confuse. I meant 'wood' was not specific enough for the tree.:)

As to your latest offering I will hold off a while to allow more participants to go. although it has been seven hours already.

Looks like no other takers so to prevent another stall I will suggest Black-throated Thrush.  Eating Hawthorn berries

(Crataegus monogyna,) sometimes called Quickthorn.

Did you see this from your famous Sofa or further east?:P

@Galana  well done! Black-throated Thrush it is.

Not from the sofa but not very far from home.

This was only the seventh official sighting in Denmark as it should migrate South rather than West for the winter. The bird came back three winters in a row.
Initially it moved around a little and was also seen in the garden of the house were I grew up. Later it moved to a spot a little out of town where it was then stationnary for 3 winters.

She typically moved less than a 100 metres from her favorite trees!

She attracted quite a few visitors coming from as far away as Spain!

Over to you.