GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@Galana  My name is Michael not MartinB)

it always looked like a Thrush but the dark billed made it tricky.

Now try this one.DSCN4335.JPG.4c696c1614269f204c30cb7228374f7a.JPG

@mvechtThe angle doesn't provide the best view of the bird's beak, but the colour of it along with the legs and the general plumage, combined with the fact that it appears to be feeding on what I presume is an apple snail, suggests a snail kite? 

4 hours ago, mvecht said:

@Galana  My name is Michael not Martin

Ooops.Sorry.;)

@inyathicorrect, it is a Snail Kite. The picture was taken in Florida a couple of years ago.

Here is another picture with a better angle for seeing the beak.DSCN4363.JPG.399f430585ce0364b7cddf0dc59eac20.JPG

Very nice and thanks to @inyathifor saving my blushes by his quick answer and observations.

My lips (and keyboard) are sealed as to what I was about to reply if he had not done this :lol:

@mvechtThanks, I could have added that the background suggested a wetland and that drew me to the Americas, but the apple snail was the real give away, without being able to see the beak properly, it would have been quite easy to think it could be one of the African goshawks, that have similar plumage.

Now, how about this little chap?

35258819476_7873d4fe99_o.jpg 

Edited by inyathi

White-browed GravelPecker?  I am assuming Old World species.

@GalanaThere was a time, when it used to annoy me if a bird was being uncooperative and not willing to show off its best side, but then I started playing this game:lol:

Edited by inyathi

10 hours ago, inyathi said:

@GalanaThere was a time, when it used to annoy me if a bird was being uncooperative and not willing to show off its best side,

As you will know, I have never experienced that. ;)

That's a cracking clue though (if I am correctly reading it.)

Leg colour could be darker but lets try Bluethroat for starters.

@GalanaIf the bird turned around that would give the game away, you will have to wait and see whether it does or not, but I can tell you that if it does, you won't see a bluethroat. 

24 minutes ago, inyathi said:

if it does, you won't see a bluethroat. 

Well I had to rule that out. I had always fancied a different genus and having switched back to that, would I see a black-chest band in breeders? The gravel fits that part of the world.

16 minutes ago, Galana said:

would I see a black-chest band in breeders? The gravel fits that part of the world.

@Galana you might.

So let me enlarge on my thinking and suggest Black-chested Prinia?

@GalanaYes well done, and it did eventually turn around. 

34791536516_b10cef4cae_o.jpg

Edited by inyathi

Yes. I had Prinia as my first choice before taking your bait and running off for Bluethroat but was pondering which one to go for. Then your next comment narrowed the search aided and abetted by the gravel.

So taking your rear views as an idea what do any players  make of this?

1-DSCF1899.JPG.9d26f4b87cf9b520821b8e77b784b669.JPG

10 hours ago, pedro maia said:

A Common redstart.

Sorry not a Common Redstart.

More like it but not one. There are quite a few other Redstarts to go if you wish to try them.

Then it is probably a Plumbeous Redstart?

@mvechtI thought you had a good answer with common redstart,, so I was waiting to see if that was right before offering a suggestion, you've certainly moved over to the right part of the world, but it's not plumbeous a bird I've seen a few times, it doesn't have the pale head that this bird has, it's very dark blue/grey and the whole tail is red but for the very tip also it lives almost entirely near fast flowing streams and rivers, not that there's enough background to completely rule out a nearby river. So at risk of stealing your prize, sorry :lol: @GalanaI will try Hodgson's Redstart?

3 hours ago, inyathi said:

you've certainly moved over to the right part of the world,

Why does Francis Urquart come to mind when I read that?

Not Hodgson's or Plumbeous Redstart although there was a clean river flowing close by but we are not playing that game.B)

@GalanaI thought perhaps it might prove not to be Hodgson's, in that case I will go with my second choice Daurian redstart, I'd rejected this one, because I assumed I should be able to see the white patches on the wings, but if it's not Daurian then I'm assuming it's one I've not yet considered, but I think I've considered all of the India/Nepal species in my book.  

I think that the light may obscure the colours a bit so I will try with Blue-fronted Redstart. 

I'd rejected this one, because I assumed

Always a good idea to follow one's own reasoning. This bird has NO white patches to distract the observer.

Not Hodgson's Daurian or @mvecht's Blue -fronted.. Indeed I will add, the word "not" should be underlined.

it's one I've not yet considered, but I think I've considered all of the India/Nepal species in my book.  

Let's dump Dobbs for Conan Doyle and see where that leads.