GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

13 hours ago, inyathi said:

and you are right the first one is the male, and the other the female

@michael-ibkhelped me with identification of female ;-) I would not identify it correctly, I am not (yet) so good. 

12 hours ago, Galana said:

they say "You will know it when you see it."

I hope, it will apply to me some time in the future and I will really know it :lol:

Thank you,  @inyathiand @Galanavery much! Yes, we have a feeder-automat in the garden since 3 years  and the small birds already know the feeding times, they come, sit and wait for food to come out. It is the second winter as we see  Sparrowhawks. The automat stays on a long legs  in a small water pond so that mice and pheasants cannot steal the food. We have about 5-7 pheasants in the garden during the winter.

We counted about 25 difefrent bird species during the last 2-3 years. But we could be mistaken in female-male identification of the same art and see them as two different arts ;-)

Our garden lookes like abandoned; the grass is not cut and there are dead trees on the ground. Our neignbours are not happy with us :lol:.  But we cannot kill insects! They are also a food for someone. We have also a pond with running water where the birds are taking a bath. A few pairs of different species are nesting by us in the sping. Perhaps, I need to figure out how I can help with nesting places...  

I cannot say that I am a birder. I just love birds and know only species I have in my garden and those I take photos of during my phototours. But also not all as you can see. I cannot identify all voices and I cannot see birds on the trees ;-)  but hopefully, in the future ..

On 1/20/2021 at 4:16 PM, Galana said:

Now perhaps the clue was not so cryptic after all.

Oh yes it was. Easy to understand for the person who set it, impenetrable for the rest of us.:wacko:

@Galana You write UFO. I think it is an IWEB)

2 hours ago, ElenaH said:

the small birds already know the feeding times, they come, sit and wait for food to come out. It is the second winter as we see  Sparrowhawks. The automat stays on a long legs  in a small water pond

And the Sparrowhawks know the times the small birds will be be in the fast food restaurant 'to go'. The small pond explains the ice that the female hawk is stood on. Nesting can be encouraged. Small wooden boxes can be made for Blau and Kohlmeise et., an old 'teapot' is loved by Robin (Rotkelchen) but most of all birds love security and quiet.  What did that movie say? "Build it and they will come!".

56 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Oh yes it was.

Oh no it wasn't!:lol: Look out @mvechtis behind you and giving his answer in crypto too.

IWE indeed. No.  it is not an Intermediate White Egret. :D:D

1 hour ago, Galana said:

it is not an Intermediate White Egret. :D:D

@Galana well done. you found another IWE than I had in mind:D

Perhaps you should claim to game before one of the stealers grab it?;)

OK I will spell it full out. Indian White-eye aka IWE:rolleyes:

Correct. Sorry to be pedantic. I knew you had it but for the sake of others....

Off you go again.

It is getting harder and harder to find relevant challenges but try this one.IMG_9363.JPG.7116d099d69e4fd79b6a406cd6f92813.JPG

Possibly a Great Sparrow, but more likely a Dead Sea Sparrow

Edited by Soukous

Good to see somebody getting in ahead of me. Probably after his diversionary tactic on his own thread about "Show us your Parus":lol: DSP!

18 hours ago, mvecht said:

@SoukousIt is indeed a Dead Sea Sparrow. Over to you.

Oh rats. I should have kept quiet. 

I don't think this will take to many guesses

ntb.jpg.2df288c55f98c29b6b851c265228edab.jpg

On 1/24/2021 at 1:02 PM, Soukous said:

I don't think this will take to many guesses

Says who?

If in Britain I would suggest Linnet to get the ball rolling.

13 minutes ago, Galana said:

Says who?

If in Britain I would suggest Linnet to get the ball rolling.

Nope, not a Linnet

That poor LBJ is feeling left out and ignored. Searching wide but nothing jumps out.

Sparrow, SeedEater, Finch?

Wild card Tibetan Siskin for Asia or Drakensburg Siskin for RSA.

Edited by Galana

9 hours ago, Galana said:

Drakensburg Siskin for RSA.

Bingo!

a nice scattergun effort :D

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

a nice scattergun effort

Thanks but it was not quite like that.

I almost picked that first off but held back. Never seen one (not likely as never been to Drakensburg) but had a hunch on your farm and it was one of the few seedeaters that did not have a white throat.

12 minutes ago, Galana said:

never been to Drakensburg

I'm sure we can fix that

5 hours ago, Soukous said:

I'm sure we can fix that

Very kind of you. Looks like from today's announcement that may be some time ahead. Bang goes my March trip to Kunene.:(

Sorry for the delay in posting the next offering but here it is.

1-DSCN5995.JPG.cc58610ed71ea53edba0b1c6aa938050.JPG

could it be a Karoo Chat?

15 hours ago, Galana said:

Bang goes my March trip to Kunene.

I must admit I struggle to understand the logic of banning us from international travel.

Surely if I get a negative test before I leave UK, then I am tested in country and another negative test before I return home, AND I am willing to go into quarantine when I get home, how can I be contributing to the spread of coronavirus?

It seems bizarre to me that our government is banning me from travelling with all the attached safeguards yet they cannot stop people gathering for parties and raves which will do far more to spread the virus. Just walk past the nearest building site and you'll see crowds of workmen gathered together with no masks and no social distancing.  

:angry: :angry: 

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

could it be a Karoo Chat?

Sorry. No.

I suppose the restrictions are based on risk assessments, Travel involves contact. Controlled travel = controlled risk but No travel = no risk.

https://skytraxratings.com/zanzibars-abeid-amani-karume-airport-is-failing-on-covid-19-safety-protocols

Closer to home our recent 'event' was caused by incoming travel as even the best of defences are not 100%. WW2. Some bombers will always get through.

We closed our building sites and road works. Both should re-open on Monday. There in lies the difference.

@Galana Are we much closer to home? Northern Wheatear?