GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Oh I think I found it—Hooded Tanager. Yellow eye!

22 hours ago, Galana said:

Should not take long.

for you maybe :wacko:

9 hours ago, janzin said:

Cinereous Becard

Sorry to bring doubt to you but that bird occurs in Ecuador and has black legs.

My money FWIW is still on Flycatcher/Tyrants and those of that ilk.

When @inyathisays 'large and exclusively American' I trust he means family size and not the birds dimensions.

7 minutes ago, Galana said:

Sorry to bring doubt to you but that bird occurs in Ecuador and has black legs.

My money FWIW is still on Flycatcher/Tyrants and those of that ilk.

When @inyathisays 'large and exclusively American' I trust he means family size and not the birds dimensions.

You must have missed my second suggestion of Hooded Tanager, I’m almost certain that’s correct. 

4 minutes ago, janzin said:

I’m almost certain that’s correct. 

Looks good to me too. The small white patch on the frons fits well. Now to wait until Rob comes on.

@Galana @Soukous When my turn comes around again, if I stick to my normal policy and post one from somewhere entirely different to this one, you might be in with a chance again:P

@janzinWell done, I expected you would get it, yes it is a hooded tanager, seen in the garden of the Porto Jofre (Pantanal North) Hotel, in the Pantanal in Brazil, I'm afraid for those without a relevant book, this one was a real challenge, if you have a copy of WCS's Birds of Brazil The Pantanal and Cerrado of Central Brazil, then it wasn't too difficult, knowing where I taken the shot, I reached straight for that book as it only has 740 birds in it, compared with 2,308 in Birds of Northern South America. With the right book there weren't really many other options it could be, your turn.     

3 hours ago, inyathi said:

@janzinWell done, I expected you would get it, yes it is a hooded tanager, seen in the garden of the Porto Jofre (Pantanal North) Hotel, in the Pantanal in Brazil, I'm afraid for those without a relevant book, this one was a real challenge, if you have a copy of WCS's Birds of Brazil The Pantanal and Cerrado of Central Brazil, then it wasn't too difficult, knowing where I taken the shot, I reached straight for that book as it only has 740 birds in it, compared with 2,308 in Birds of Northern South America. With the right book there weren't really many other options it could be, your turn.     

Well I did a little sleuthing as well...you left the EXIF data in so I saw that you took the photo in October 2012.  I knew you had been to Brazil so I searched for your trip report and lo and behold, it was in October 2012 so I knew I was on the right track with Brazil, although this photo isn't in the trip report. Then there weren't too many options in the Brazil book. My first look through I didn't find it, but your last hint about the bird families got me to tanagers.

Will take me a bit to find something to post...stay tuned.

16 hours ago, janzin said:

Well I did a little sleuthing as well...you left the EXIF data in so I saw that you took the photo in October 2012.  I knew you had been to Brazil so I searched for your trip report

when will I learn to be clever? :blink:

On 2/23/2021 at 12:16 AM, janzin said:

Well I did a little sleuthing as well...you left the EXIF data in so I saw that you took the photo in October 2012.  I knew you had been to Brazil so I searched for your trip report and lo and behold, it was in October 2012 so I knew I was on the right track with Brazil, although this photo isn't in the trip report. Then there weren't too many options in the Brazil book. My first look through I didn't find it, but your last hint about the bird families got me to tanagers.

Will take me a bit to find something to post...stay tuned.

another Poirot in the making?

Sorry for the delay, I sort of forgot :P

Anyway, here you go.

JZ5_8901b.jpg.faa17f91455711add5f797770948a336.jpg

Ha ha. Your EXIF has the location on GPS. This puts you about 100 miles south of Accra in the Gulf of Guinea.

Oceanic Bulbul.:D

@Galana I'm no fool, I edited the EXIF to delete the dates and the GPS info!  It wouldn't let me put in a blank so I just put 1 and 1.

Edited by janzin

1 minute ago, janzin said:

@Galana I'm no fool, I edited the EXIF to delete the dates and the GPS info!  It wouldn't let me put in a blank so I just put 1 and 1.

:D

5 hours ago, janzin said:

Very true but a more wily operator would have put in something like 54* 19' 39.28"  04* 22' 59.97" W and had you all looking for the Field Guide to "Birds of Galana's Garage".:P

Anyway. To the matter in hand after 20 hours and only one tongue in cheek response, I fancy your LBJ is some sort of Flycatcher with a strange American name such as Eastern Wood Peewee.

@janzinWell that was pretty sneaky, but nothing I wouldn’t have done had I thought of it, I’ll try not to make that mistake again.

I might have been a bit annoyed, but I’m not, I’m just relieved that I was able to post a reply and confirm your correct answer, because shortly afterwards my BT hub started flashing purple, flashing is never a good sign and purple indicates a cable is not connected properly, that’s what the manual says. The actual problem is a bit more serious, and not covered in the manual, some knuckleheads from the local council came down my road with a drain clearing machine, to do some routine maintenance and chopped up the phone cable, this would be less annoying if it hadn’t happened before, although last time it was broadband provider laying their cable, the result is no landline phones or internet for my PC. British Telecom are being typically useless at fixing it, because typically, they won’t just accept your explanation of what the problem is and sort that out, they have to waste time time considering other options, but they did kindly send a.little mini-hub that works off 4G, however, I’ve only managed to connect my iPad thus far, so I’m sitting this one out, as I can’t post photos from my iPad. With luck they might fix the problem before the weeks is over, but I have might doubts, I suspect they won’t.:angry:

Such is life in the 21st century, last century I somehow existed quite happily without internet, now if it is off for a couple of days I’m tearing my hair out.:lol:

15 hours ago, Galana said:

Very true but a more wily operator would have put in something like 54* 19' 39.28"  04* 22' 59.97" W and had you all looking for the Field Guide to "Birds of Galana's Garage".:P

Anyway. To the matter in hand after 20 hours and only one tongue in cheek response, I fancy your LBJ is some sort of Flycatcher with a strange American name such as Eastern Wood Peewee.

Not an Eastern Wood Peewee.

20 hours ago, mvecht said:

@janzinDoes 1+1 = Cuba?

Ahhh amazingly enough, yes indeedy.  So, now you've got the place, what's the bird? (Should be easy now.)

4 hours ago, mvecht said:

@janzinHow about Cuban Solitaire?

@mvechtyou got it! And I thought this one would be more difficult :(

Hmm not sure what to post. I will go with this one but maybe it is too easy:D

IMG_3725.JPG.bf7073d3f7955f306d60a9638d85deee.JPG

Well I may be wrong but whilst not knowing the bird immediately or even sooner I thought on seeing it just now "That looks like a Drongo with a white belly." And after looking it up there is such a bird in India.

So I will offer that as my go. White-bellied Drongo.

1 minute ago, mvecht said:

aI like your way of thinking

It is a great standby. I keep telling folks learning birds to just describe it and it is often called that. Not 100% but a great tool.

~ @Galana:

By any chance might your bird be Anthoscopus musculus?

Several students in East Asia and I had lots of fun (by long-distance on-line banter) batting around possibilities.

After a merry process of elimination, all that remained was the Mouse-colored Penduline-tit.

But what do we know?

Thank you for posting such a delightful challenge.

Tom K.