GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@GalanaMy blue-breasted shots, as labelled were taken at Ntoroko in Toro-Semliki Wildlife Reserve and it was just after returning from the boat trip on Lake Albert, to see the shoebills, when you revisit my Blue-breasted Bee-eater ID thread, do add your shot, as it does show that white on the cheek very well, the two shots I have there are I think the only decent shots I have of Blue-breasted, I do have one shot taken at Bangweulu Wetlands in Zambia, but the birds were too far away, so its not worth adding to the ID thread.

Edited by inyathi

I am sure I could have found a more difficult one but let's keep the game moving

lbs.jpg.92b55f368b9328af12ba2330e458fcfa.jpg

@inyathiInterestng foot note about Ntoroko. I have not been down that track for many years. Re your ID thread, I did feel that your Cinnamon BEs were very much darker breasted than those I see in Uganda. Perhaps different strength Cinnamon?

Damn. :angry: Fumbled the Baton. I will have to go around again.

Well I have been around the track several times and saw nobody. Even the three team members were missing. Is there such a thing as a one man relay race. Is it like a three-legged race with only one leg?

Well I cannot let poor @Soukoussit all alone waiting for the phone to ring can I?

Red-winged (Collared) Pratincole based on tail length.

Can I come in now?

Just to offer a second opinion I will go for Small Pratincole

Edited by mvecht
typo

well, @Galana & @mvechtYou're both wrong. :o

Looking back at this post it seems a bit harsh. It would have been much more polite to say that neither of you are correct. :P

Edited by Soukous

59 minutes ago, Soukous said:

well, @Galana & @mvechtYou're both wrong. 

Well it could be Oriental.

Edited by Galana

2 hours ago, Galana said:

Well it could be Oriental.

keep guessing :P

Well there ain't many left and I can rule out Rock and Madagascar which leaves Black-winged Pratincole.

:blink:

1 minute ago, Galana said:

Well there ain't many left and I can rule out Rock and Madagascar which leaves Black-winged Pratincole.

:blink:

B)

Black-winged Pratincole it is

Nogaatsa Pans, Chobe

black-winged-pratincole1.jpg.c724a1759aceee387cbeeaece618a3ef.jpg

Just now, Galana said:

Interesting call.

you think it is not a Black-winged Pratincole?

2 hours ago, Soukous said:

you think it is not a Black-winged Pratincole?

Well let me put it this way:- From photo one I had discounted it. Apparent tail length as I said and an altogether lighter colouring.

So 'we' embarked on every other Pratincole that God and the Field Guides have given us and when we ran out of possibles Sherlock's modus kicked in with the only improbable left.

Your second photo did nothing to convince me I had been wrong.

Red on bill to nostrils, Lighter colour, thinner black edge to collar but ........I have never seen a BW on the ground.

1-DSCF2448.JPG.5fb388c0db6ca3b8ca6c82789ec65b85.JPG

15 hours ago, Galana said:

Your second photo did nothing to convince me I had been wrong.

I do take all your points and can see the logic. I posted this as a Black-winged Pratincole in BY 2019 and no-one batted an eyelid so assumed I had the ID correct.

Here are 2 more shots that tend to support your argument. Looking at them now I think it is more likely to be Red-winged/Collared. The bib is beige rather that off white and the contrast with plumage is not drastic.

black-winged-pratincole2.jpg.bc88774f486a27eb4024b82038d5c2db.jpg

black-winged-pratincole3.jpg.443669fdda55a4d4fdc1236047848afc.jpg

The daft thing is that distribution maps would favour BW for Chobe. What month was this?

Thanks for the two supporting shots. The 2nd I show again 'lightened up' a tad.

I did this as it shows the underwing which at first could be black.

1-black-winged-pratincole3.jpg.443669fdda55a4d4fdc1236047848afc.jpg.37a8d3dd8ed3a683b48ced27e4b4b72f.jpg

Thankfully for my reputation you can see some red coming in as well as the white trailing edge with full flaps lowered for take off. Juv bird. Your BY secret is safe with me.:P (As long as you did not have a RW as well.)

27 minutes ago, Galana said:

The daft thing is that distribution maps would favour BW for Chobe. What month was this?

It was December.

The ID was actually made by the manager of Nogaatsa Pans Lodge, and he is much bigger than me - and should know the birds viewable from his veranda(h):rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Galana said:

(As long as you did not have a RW as well.)

I did not

This is really quite fascinating.

Both species are present in Chobe in December with RW actually recorded as breeding then. SASOL "Birds of Southern Africa"

Indeed RW is recorded as present all year round in Chobe. BW not present May to September so hopefully that Manager saw both from his verandah but ONLY RW in the Austral winter.

Who knows?

I could be more positive with my photo of several RW on the bank of the Kilombero because BW are not recorded in Tanzania. Makes life so much easier.

In the ultimate analysis I see to have been gifted the Baton by devious means either way. Must try harder next time.

9 hours ago, Galana said:

In the ultimate analysis I see to have been gifted the Baton by devious means either way

At least the 'confusion' prolonged the game a bit. B)

6 hours ago, Soukous said:

At least the 'confusion' prolonged the game a bit. 

It did indeed AND added to my knowledge too.

So what does the team think of this one?

2017.JPG.5107e5a714a774f20791d3ae7db294db.JPG

@Galana It looks a lot like a Mistlethrush (Turdus viscivorus) but maybe it is something more exoticB)

@mvecht"Exotic"? My dictionary suggests exotic means 'originating in a foreign country' so that would cover a heck of a lot of birds. 2nd Definition is 'having a strange or bizarre allure'. I like that better.:o

@Galana then my suggested Mistle Thrush will qualify as exotic by your first definition.

I think you somehow forgot to comment on my suggested Mistle Thrush?

3 hours ago, mvecht said:

I think you somehow forgot to comment on my suggested Mistle Thrush?

Oh sorry. I thought you had already worked out it was not  a Mistle Thrush which has round spots not arrow head shaped. It is not a Mistle Thrush.

the spots suggest Song Thrush but the ease of that would suggest you want this off your hands as quickly as possible

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

the spots suggest Song Thrush but the ease of that would suggest you want this off your hands as quickly as possible

Not really. There are more field marks that would suggest this is not your average garden bird.