GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Galana

I will deduct points if I have to provide clues.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Galana

• inyathi

• Soukous

• janzin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woo Hoo! You got it. @mvecht It is a female Jungle Bush Quail. Shot (with a camera ) in Ranthambhore n November 2019     and here is the male    

I've always viewed the thread "Where was the picture taken" as an extension of this thread "Name the bird", except that the former had to have a picture of wildlife, not necessary a bird. I think both

~ Dear Friends @Soukousand @Galana:   Thank you so much for your kind comments above. I'm grateful for your interest in the East Asian students who have enjoyed playing this game.  

Posted Images

Soukous

Swainson's Thrush perhaps

Galana

A worthy try but not Swainson's.

Consider not only the field marks but the field.

I will admit to a slight non specific detour.

Edited by Galana
Soukous

The field?

It looks to be on top of some crude thatch, by a concrete pillar or chimney.

which brings us to Grey-cheeked Thrush, although I cannot find any examples where the spots extend down the belly.

I also considered Hermit Thrush but yours does not have a rufous tail. 

Galana
2 hours ago, Soukous said:

The field?

It looks to be on top of some crude thatch, by a concrete pillar or chimney.

Does that remind you of anywhere?

Soukous
2 minutes ago, Galana said:

Does that remind you of anywhere?

I wish it did 

Galana
On 4/6/2021 at 11:26 AM, Soukous said:

I wish it did 

I feel sure you will have seen similar

mvecht

@Galana I am thinking rural Great Britain but that does not help me to an ID:wub:

Pictus Safaris

The phrase "rural Great Britain" caught my eye @mvecht, so forgive me if I'm swooping in and stealing this from you. @Galana, perhaps a Hebridean song thrush? If so, my Scottish roots might finally have come in handy on ST...

Soukous
10 minutes ago, Pictus Safaris said:

The phrase "rural Great Britain" caught my eye @mvecht, so forgive me if I'm swooping in and stealing this from you. @Galana, perhaps a Hebridean song thrush? If so, my Scottish roots might finally have come in handy on ST...

good call Tom.

That one is not in my book. :(

Galana
4 hours ago, Pictus Safaris said:

perhaps a Hebridean song thrush? If so, my Scottish roots might finally have come in handy on ST...

Indeed they have. You are correct. Note lack of buff on breast and almost grey mantle etc.,

Seen on the 'roof' of my rented home at Gearrannan and you cannot get much more Hebridean than that.

http://www.gearrannan.com/

I found this of interest.

https://anthonymcgeehan.medium.com/seeking-hebridean-song-thrush-39d51ad28003

Another player and over to you.

Pictus Safaris

Thanks @Galana, I've many happy memories from that part of the world. I recall spending hours on Lewis watching a family of otters taking apart a conger eel when I was a teenager, as far as I was concerned at the time the Serengeti didn't have a patch on the Minch.

I apologise for the quality of this photo - taking at a distance with a 1.4x extender through a windscreen, but I think there's enough detail here, especially when you know where it was taken...

Tom

31.JPG

inyathi

@Pictus Safaris

Haven't been posting much lately, but I just happened to check-in at the right moment and I'm confident that this is what I like to call the Bedouin snake-eagle :lol:

Its proper name is Beaudouin's snake eagle (Circaetus beaudouini)

Galana

The Outer Hebrides are a world apart in my book. Some days I would not trade them for Africa. I can't wait to get back for a fix.

Anyway to your mystery bird. My first reaction was it was the by product of a liaison between a Brown Snake Eagle and a Honey Buzzard.

But I have settled down to a bird of the Sahel belt from Gambia to Uganda and Beaudoin's Snake Eagle.

Assuming I am correct where was it taken?

Galana

I write too much!

inyathi

@Galana Looks like I beat you by a nose.:D

Edited by inyathi
Galana
10 hours ago, inyathi said:

Looks like I beat you by a nose

You may have a big nose then as I boast a good un.

Actually your 'new reply' flashed up as I pressed 'send' for mine. A Photo was called for.:D

Pictus Safaris

@inyathi, @Galanaboth, of course, correct, a Beaudouin's Snake Eagle. Photo taken in Pendjari National Park, Benin, on Christmas Day. Pendjari is full of Beaudouin's (and pretty much every other bird of prey found in the Sahel). Undoubtedly a consequence of ample prey and a beautiful array of suitable habitats.

Anyway, @inyathi, over to you.

inyathi

@Pictus SafarisI've not seen one quite as well as that, I saw my first one on my second visit to Zakouma NP, it was quite distant and then saw one high in the sky in northern Ghana, my first view though distant, was good enough, that I recognised your bird instantly.

Where next? How about this one 

49748291698_fea4a7bf11_o.jpg 

Pictus Safaris
1 hour ago, inyathi said:

@Pictus SafarisI've not seen one quite as well as that, I saw my first one on my second visit to Zakouma NP, it was quite distant and then saw one high in the sky in northern Ghana, my first view though distant, was good enough, that I recognised your bird instantly.

@inyathi- yes, Zakouma is probably as good a place as Pendjari for them (provided you wade through all the yellow-billed kites first). The raptor viewing in Pendjari is sensational, with the highest density of marsh harriers I've ever found anywhere. I've often wondered why the vulture density was conversely so low in Pendjari, and have considered whether it may be linked to the low densities of hyena and jackal in the ecosystem. I suppose I'll never know the answer.

Anyway, I think I would be right in saying your photo is not from Pendjari, so I'll hit the books.

Edited by Pictus Safaris
mvecht

@inyathi  Looks like a Leaf warbler to me. That leaves us with 81 possibilities!

Blyth`s Leaf Warbler perhaps?

inyathi

@mvechtNot Blyth's so that's 1 down just another 80 to go:lol:

Galana

Oh yes. Leaf Warblers. LGJs. Little Green Jobs. Hard to see at the best of times and when you do it's harder to ID them. Saw some in India but not for long.

Not Pallas or Yellow browed I think so down to 78.

Not in my book. I wonder if there is such a book as Leaf Warblers of the world?

This calls for some serious research.

Galana

Oh, the wonders of Google.

I was working east of India where the dawn comes up like thunder and looking for China across the Bay. Where else but Indo China?

Having had a close look at Yellow-Browed I lighted on Yellow-vented which had similarities to the subject bird and dug deeper.

Up popped a good candidate as 'contrast and compare'.

Strange name,strange bird. Galana's Law would never work with this one. Limestone Leaf Warbler?

If I am incorrect we can at least remove another suspect from the line up.

Rhinestone Cowboy next?