GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Ndutu

Figures.

OK. I know how much you like LBJs especially when obscured in shrubbery so I thought I would post one in full view as a treat.

1-DSCF3761.JPG.f819ca5fcd9e3660bd4ff37676729f55.JPG

OMG :o no bed linen or foliage to assist

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

OMG :o no bed linen or foliage to assist

And the three stripes on each shoulder don't make it  Sergeant either.

@Galana Looks like a flycatcher. African Grey?

It looks a lot like a Dusky Flycatcher, but as far as I can see the Dusky Flycatcher never passed Corporal

5 hours ago, Soukous said:

It looks a lot like a Dusky Flycatcher,

It does rather but sadly no.

Well that's two African species down. Pte.Grey and Cpl.Dusky. Quite an exotic troop.

Could it be a Pied Flycatcher?

They usually have a lot more white in the plumage but this could be hidden by the pose

It is not a Pied Flycatcher.

Spotted Flycatcher?

Well Spotted. Pun intended.

Taken not in Africa but Slovenija  in the small but famous Village of Stara Fuzina.

Here is a better one which would have been so much easier so well done.

1-DSCF3753.JPG.b9740a0a8096bc30d549d1867c2a59ca.JPG

Over to you. @mvecht

and now for something totally different.

IMG_3079.JPG.4cf9d246698e797e11db657406ebe883.JPG

Pictus Safaris

The Caribbean is not an area I know well, but I'll have a guess at spectacled thrush.

@Pictus Safaris

when I saw it the name was Big-eyed Grieve (Tobago) but it goes by many different names and Spectacled Thrush is probably the most correct. Over to you. 

Pictus Safaris

Thanks @mvecht- pure luck that I happened to be browsing some info on Caribbean birds a few weeks ago.

Here's my effort.

IMG_9257.jpg

Well Galana's Law of Bird ID suggests that  a Woodpecker with a Scarlet or Crimson Breast has a fair chance of being called Crimson-breasted Woodpecker. (Dryobates cathpharius) so I offer that as a first try.

Pictus Safaris

I thought that might take a little longer @Galana, you impress me as usual. I had hoped something a little more Himalayan rather than Sahelian might throw you off.

Yes, crimson-breasted woodpecker photographed in Langtang NR, Nepal. Over to you!

2 hours ago, Pictus Safaris said:

I had hoped something a little more Himalayan rather than Sahelian might throw you off.

Well a glance told me it was not African so I wasted no time looking there. At first I wondered about the New World but it did not look much like anything there. So I headed East. Bingo. I remembered seeing something similar in Nepal a long time ago when we escaped the Millennium. (And I saw the 'like' from @inyathiso knew I did not have much time.)

I will dig out something from my rapidly diminishing stock.

How does this stack up with Galana's Law?

0022.JPG.d0083383d44a4e86ece7f96d4a4cffa9.JPG

@Galana I would say it not a good match for Galana`s law but it is definitely a Galaba EBC :D

Some sort of Meadowlark?

Peter Connan

Geelbors streepkoppie?

😜

2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Geelbors streepkoppie?

Good to see you taking punt Peter but it is not Cabanis Bunting which is the best my very limited Afrikaans can do.

Indeed whilst my subject may well have a name in Afrikaans it is not related to the Lark-like Bunting either.:o

Michael got the closest of you both with Veldtlewerik!

My first thought when I saw the picture was Longclaw. So I'll suggest Yellow-throated Longclaw