GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Thanks Fred

I was distracted by another thread, based on quality of your image as a bird photo, I could not be certain as to which of the two barbet species I was looking at, so based on your love of Uganda, I took the percentage bet and guessed the photo was most likely taken there, thinking that it could well be Lake Mburo NP. The fact that I saw black-billed in MFNP also steered me in the direction of Uganda and black-billed. The map in Birds of Africa South of the Sahara, suggested that the red-faced did not quite get into Lake Mburo, however, the Birdlife Map online does suggest it should be in LMNP. I should though have considered that you must have been to Akagera NP and this would be perhaps the most likely place that you would have seen red-faced barbet. The two parks are close enough that the landscape and vegetation not very different.      

How about this pair?

Bra0617.jpg.f3c214dce041c9765f3ac8b50c69f29c.jpg

Understood. However I deliberately left out cropping as otherwise as you know it would be one or t'other.

And both fulfill Galana's Law.

Had you zoomed you would have seen the giveaway that red-faced is just that. No chin/breast colouring and the wing colours are restricted to the primaries. And the Bill ain't black.

Thus

1-Who.jpg.4ebc40a0977ef31048c4aaad7639c6b5.jpg

It's range in Uganda is restricted to that scrubby acacia type landscape typical of parts of the Serengeti system of which Kagera and Lake Mburo form a northern extension  looping around southern Lake Victoria.

As you say the two Parks are not that far apart as the Barbet flies.

Now to your offering.

At first I thought I was looking at some sort of Lovebird, small Parakeet but it resembled nothing I recall in Africa or Asia. So, again, I looked west but nothing fitted.

And those eyes were shouting Black-shouldered Kite so I switched to Raptors. I remembered Bat Falcon and Aplomado Falcon had that yellow colouring around the face/head but the eyes were not starey enough. Then it dropped (assuming I am correct) and my fixation with Kite paid off.

Sorry to grab this but I cannot resist.

I saw it in Ecuador now I look in my book. It's a Pearl Kite. Gampsonyx swainsonii  I believe.

@Galana Well that didn't last long, I probably should have stuck with the first bird I'd picked out, but I changed my mind when I saw the kite photo, I didn't check the map until after I'd posted the shot and then saw that it occurs in Ecuador, so even if you hadn't seen it, it would be in your Ecuador book, oh well it just means I can keep the other shot for another day. 

Back to you.

OK.  We all look forward to your rejected alternate with interest.:P

In the meantime please see what you make of this more revealing effort.

0154.JPG.896b81ca05d51ac78978dc18c223e11a.JPG

Looks like another fine example of Galana’s law at work although it might be a matter of size!

someone else may have greater luck at getting the IDB)

12 hours ago, mvecht said:

Looks like another fine example of Galana’s law at work although it might be a matter of size!

someone else may have greater luck at getting the IDB)

If you asked me I would say I can tell the difference between green & pink but in that photo I am just not sure

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

I can tell the difference between green & pink

Well in these strange times that's good to know Martin but Michael's clue is better than any I could come up with at the moment. (Thinks! Do people actually play this game not to win?;))

Just now, Galana said:

Do people actually play this game not to win?

undoubtedly

6 hours ago, Soukous said:

undoubtedly

You mean some folks like pulling a horse in the Derby?

In 24 hours that bird has not grown that I can see.

Oh, all right. Let's start with Marsh Sandpiper

I do admit it is a good likeness but it is not a Marsh Sandpiper.

Which Field Guide are you using?

44 minutes ago, Galana said:

Which Field Guide are you using?

I have Stevenson/Fanshawe for EA and the Collins guide for Europe to hand. 

It is not in S&F and I don't have Collins but it is in my 'Phillips'. It is also in my Sinclair and SASOL.

I thought that @mvecht's clue on Thursday was a good one.

@Galana When you mentioned Sasol I thought you were pulling my leg(s), but then I realised that the bird I have in mind is also in my Newman`s. This bird species has been seen in Denmark but is considered a very rare visitor from ??????

It is indeed a wanderer. I saw one in North Uist two years ago.

OK, since you two are toying with me I'll try a Yellowlegs, and I'll be brave and opt for Greater, since it looks (without any available points of reference) about the same size as a Marsh Sandpiper

22 minutes ago, Soukous said:

I'll be brave and opt for Greater,

Remind me never to go to the Races with you or if I do, not to follow your bets.:lol:

I think Michael will agree that we call this off and hand you the baton. It is actually Lesser Yellowlegs.

The field differences are subtle but there. Size is one. Greater is the size of Greenshank, Lesser matches the Marsh almost to the cm. Very 'dainty' just like the Marsh compared to Greenshank.

Lesser has no markings on flanks or belly . One could say um, lesser, than the Greater.

It is of course mainly a New World species and this bird was seen by me in Mexico but I was not joking when I said I had sen my latest one at Balranald on Uist. Evidently Southern Africa gets them regularly as does Europe.

So off you go.

You earned it.

Edited by Galana

3 minutes ago, Galana said:

Remind me never to go to the Races with you or if I do, not to follow your bets

very wise decision. 

This should not take too long; the question is who wants to pick up the baton -_-

oh-oh-oh.jpg.f39201d73b26337db198e6e364a8120b.jpg

Eight hours and no takers. Oh well. I will have a go.

A very drab looking Neddicky or Piping Cisticola perhaps?

13 hours ago, Galana said:

A very drab looking Neddicky

that's the one

13 hours ago, Galana said:

Eight hours and no takers.

I think the pool of participants is currently under 5 so responses can be a bit erratic :(

Well whilst it is quiet I can cast this one in and see who takes the fly.

1-DSCN6779.JPG.dcd8fc98c96f1061f1141c176a6959ee.JPG

Asian Glossy Starling?