GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@mvechtYes, well done, I thought I was being a little bit sneaky, because I've posted a Hooded Tanager before, not very long ago, but that was a male, this female might well be his mate, as she was in the same tree in Brazil. 

Over to you

Well that beat me. I was convinced it was an Apalis.:)

17 hours ago, Galana said:

Well that beat me.

I've made a note in my diary :P

OK guys. Hava a go at this one. I will be disappointed if you dont solve it within a few hours:D

sp_9638.JPG.84dc0f25a0789fdbf8ae26c0049568ca.JPG

A few hours. Will three do?

Spur-winged Lapwing. Unless there is a devious plot to make me wrong twice in a row.

@Galana  No devious plots. so yes, it is a Spur-winged Plover seen in Israel.

10 hours ago, mvecht said:

No devious plots.

I had rather wished there was.:(

So try this one.

1-DSCF2036.JPG.423f23af81ec527718142e19d4cd2f53.JPG

Come on. I am leaving tomorrow and don't want this to hang fire til I return.

It was not difficult surely. Bright yellow warbler with deep contrasting white belly and short tail.

Wood warbler seen in Northern Italy near Reschensee.

So who wants to go while I am away?  Feel free.

• 3 months later...

I was wondering why this game had dropped off the face of the earth then it was all made clear by the last post from @Galana

Since no-one else posted anything here's an easy one to get things moving again

peekie.jpg.4368cc4025ca66b680468c75b0f1d6ac.jpg

@SoukousThanks for reviving this, I had contemplated posting something a while ago, but then forgot about it, I feel I know what your bird is and if the angle was different I'm sure I would, but at the moment I'm not sure, so with without serious confidence, I will suggest Cloud Cisticola (Cisticola textrix), whilst I think about other options.  

Edited by inyathi

Good morning @Soukous.  Could this be a Karoo Prinia?

12 hours ago, inyathi said:

I will suggest Cloud Cisticola (Cisticola textrix), whilst I think about other options.  

nope, it's not one of those

9 hours ago, ElaineAust said:

Could this be a Karoo Prinia?

Yes it could indeed be one of those - I had hoped that by hiding the tail I might keep you guessing a bit longer

karoo-prinia.jpg.48513775123c29f95d93499e1e033b61.jpg

Thanks @Soukous.  Good to know I could find some use for the Roberts app this year.  Is that a pentzia dentalia the bird is perched on in the first pic?

And here is my lowly offering.

Bird 2.jpg

@ElaineAust

Young Satin Bowerbird endemic to Eastern Australia ? olive  green birds adults blue 

Correct @BRACQUENE.  This is an adult female I believe.  The males appear black and put on an incredible mating display. Photographed in the Atherton Tablelands, North Queensland.  Over to you. E

Thanks @ElaineAust; since @Soukousrightly restarted this game I asked myself now that my intensive Mana TR is finished why not participate in this game at the same time as the other one ;) from time to time ? I always followed it in the past but my limited knowledge and pictures to show "cobbler stick to your last" remember , made me hesitate.

My collection at least having grown a bit and my instinctive feeling with this one that a research of endemic Australian birds was a good guess brought me the answer fairly quickly : of course I realise that others active in this game were too occupied with the other topic " What are you planning for 2022 " and the possible lifting of travel restrictions at last !

So the next  , to make it a bit more difficult lacks the head ( for the moment at least ) but I am sure that will not be a major problem :lol:

_DSC4492.jpeg.cb9bf916fd5b6465b89e00c3a0eb6b86.jpeg

D6CC9052-3FF9-46CC-A6E3-BF0FAE6F7D79_1_105_c.jpeg

that could be a Diederik's Cuckoo - but it could just as easily be something else :wacko:

@Soukous

I decided a while ago, that I don’t actually mind being wrong now and again, as this is only a game, so sometimes, if I don’t know the answer, I’ll post a guess anyway even though I think it’s wrong, I did correctly guess which part of Africa your bird was from, but then didn’t look at enough birds, I’ve not birded in SA, so I’ve never seen Karoo Prinia, but I should still have got it, because I knew that it didn’t look quite right for a cisticola, I really should have grabbed a Southern Africa book, instead of looking at Birds of Africa South of the Sahara, then I should have found it. As I said in my answer, if the angle was different, in the next shot it couldn’t be anything other than a prinia. I knew as soon as I saw @ElaineAust's answer that she was correct.

@BRACQUENE

Well, you are right that I was more focused on the 2022 thread, If I’d had my Australian book to hand, I probably would have got that one, as I thought it was probably a bowerbird, had it been an adult Satin then I hope would have known, without needing a book, I’m not always in a hurry to post an answer, even when I have a good idea what the bird is, sometimes I like to wait and see who else wants to have a go. Not going for that last one has allowed you to jump in, you’ve clearly got the right idea and kept some photos, that anyone not playing this game would have deleted, your bird is another one, I hope I would have no trouble with, from the right angle, I am not sure, but it could be a dove, so I will suggest Cape Turtle or Ring-necked Dove (Streptopelia capicola)?

Edited by inyathi

6 hours ago, Soukous said:

that could be a Diederik's Cuckoo - but it could just as easily be something else :wacko:

I have no idea why I suggested that. In my mind I was seeing a Jacobin Cuckoo but somehow Diederik was what came out.  So guess amended to Jacobin Cuckoo

Until now no correct answer ; tomorrow morning  I will post the complete bird and then perhaps we might have a winner unless somebody has a proposition this evening or tonight :D

Looking forward to tomorrow which I hope will show the bird's red bill as I think this is a Greater Honeyguide.

_DSC4490.jpg.01a8a34402932eae283184b480f22428.jpg

In Jan Teede's " A field guide to Mana Pools "ed 2020 , I read what follows : "I thought the curious symbiotic relationship between man and this species over the location and exploitation of honey had pretty much died out , as most humans these days can't even identify a honeyguide , let alone follow it to honey and extract the booty from a hive, leaving a 10% commission for the guide ".

Jan found out that the habit still exists in the Chewore area where he was lead by the scouts with unerring accurancy to some Mopane bee honey ;

Greater Honeyguides ( Indicator Indicator ) , 20 cm high are amongst the few birds able to digest beeswax and are dark grey above and light grey below ; they have a large white ear patch and males have a black throat and a pink bill so this is definitely a male ( females have a black bill ) : the call is a distinctive and repeated "whit-purr,whit-purr" .

We saw this bird close to where we found Boswell with the herd that follows him , returning to our car with Nick Murray and as I don't have an indication you might have read my Mana report @Galana I suppose you are amongst those few humans that are able to identify this magnificent bird even without his head :lol:

5 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

I suppose you are amongst those few humans that are able to identify this magnificent bird even without his head 

Well I doubt I am unique in that. There was just enough of the side of the head to reveal the tell tale white cheek patch of the male as a main clue. A quick check of the field guide showed the undertail black pattern as confirmation. Elementary my dear Watson. Time was about 20.00 but to be sure I did visit your Mana Pools post out of curiosity as to where you had seen the bird about four hours later but found nothing in my brief hurried read so my answer was unaided.

Now having given up on this game, or having it give up on me, I need to find something for you all. Now where did I file that Nechisar Nightjar wing?

1 hour ago, Galana said:

but found nothing in my brief hurried read so my answer was unaided.

Matthew 7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. " So it was all there   @Galanaseek  Peter Mana Chapter VI Page 3 Picture 26 

To unlock and find the name of the bird see @offshorebirder's post on page 4  Elementary ! B)