GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@BRACQUENEAs I said I only did a quick skim through for verification of my choice. I may read the report later.

Meanwhile as I cannot locate the folder with the Nightjar in it I offer the bird below.

0016.JPG.b935b6fb206fe8b790961c0055d2a17e.JPG

@Galana

Could have been easier for my second try as Gulls and I suppose it is one , are notably difficult to distinguish even for the "pros" :D and the picture quality is not exactly stellar but I will give it a try with a double proposition : Ring billed or Yellow-legged ? 

On 10/9/2021 at 2:17 PM, BRACQUENE said:

@Galanaseek  Peter Mana Chapter VI Page 3 Picture 26 

Done that now. Not all the report but interesting episode with spike.

Sadly your offerings for the bird have neither a Ring Bill nor yellow legs.

Anyway who can see the legs or even the bill he may rise now :lol: 

@Galana

I hope you don't mind but as there seem to be no others players for the moment I will continue with a juvenile European Herring Gull and I promise I will not name them all :D

@GalanaI'll offer a suggestion, I'm pretty sure that's an EBC :lol: 

@BRACQUENENot a Herring Gull, sometimes known as Silver Gull in Europe.

"What does being gulled mean?

A person who is easily tricked or cheated; a dupe. tr.v. gulled, gull·ing, gulls. To deceive or cheat. [Probably from gull, to swallow (obsolete), from Middle English golen, to pretend to swallow, from gole, throat, perhaps from Old French goule; see gullet.]"

@inyathiOf course they all count. Some more often than others.

cunning photo. Is that a black tip to the bill or just a shadow on the waves?

WYSIWYG. There seems to be something similar at the other end. Probably weed.

That bill looks pink to me.....................

4 hours ago, Galana said:

WYSIWYG. There seems to be something similar at the other end. Probably weed.

thanks for the heads up, I thought it might be legs

@Galana

Which bird has a bill that is pink at the base like @wilddognoticed and dark at the tip according to @Soukouswhich indeed could well be the case here and as this is perhaps again not what it looked like so I will go for a Godwit  : four main species but the Marbled and the Hudsonian below are my favorites but the differences are not always clear so if it would be the Black-Tailed or the Bar-Tailed don't shoot me :D

image.png.a8ef817bc8f670c4a162bd20847c63d0.png 

image.png.ba3bf25704c620776d0c0b7b3b32b107.png  

1 hour ago, BRACQUENE said:

Which bird has a bill that is pink at the base like @wilddognoticed and dark at the tip according to @Soukouswhich indeed could well be the case here

I think you missed the post where @Galanasaid that the black smudges at the end of the bill and under the tail were shadows on the sea. :rolleyes:

I also have the impression  @Soukousthat @Galanais a master like we say in Dutch : om ons op het verkeerde been te zetten or putting us on the wrong foot ! So if it isn’t a Gull or is it which bird is it ? 

49 minutes ago, BRACQUENE said:

So if it isn’t a Gull or is it which bird is it ? 

that is the point of the game sir :P

22 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

as this is perhaps again not what it looked like so

Ummmm!Well at least there are many less Godwits than Gulls.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:40 PM, BRACQUENE said:

so if it would be the Black-Tailed or the Bar-Tailed don't shoot me 

If necessary I would leave that to the lady entrusted with our safety in the Luangwa valley.

1-2006_1011Kaf10151.JPG

The Bar-Tailed Godwitt , in Dutch Rosse Grutto , is my final guess to avoid being shot :lol: but where are all the connoiseurs?? At least I know that you saw a lot of them in Walvis Bay Namibia in December 2017 and this could well be the place where the picture was taken 

image.png.a76d3d06b8dee81bc43e385de85b7ad4.png

You may not have read of my recent ID problems on Big Year with this species but I can say my photo was not in Walvis Bay and the subject bird is not Bar-tailed. One down three to go and you are safe from  Veronica as sadly she passed some years ago.

Yes. I too wonder where the other players are.

@Galana Well I thought it was only fair to let the new boy @BRACQUENE have a proper go at it, since he's decided to join us here, I did think he was on the right track, the long bill and long legs give away that it's wader, I might be proved wrong, but it would seem sensible at this point to fly across the Pond and suggest the one species not mentioned yet, so I will ask is it a Marbled Godwit (Limosa fedoa)?

Edited by inyathi

@inyathiI think so too. To be fair to Hercules he did mention it and indeed scraped up a good image of it but faltered at la moment critique.

image.png.a8ef817bc8f670c4a162bd20847c63d0.png.f29894e88b9da9289f9a00c0fe071321.pngI leave it to you to do the decent thing.

@BRACQUENEOops, sorry, I had seen your post :rolleyes:, but I only remembered that you'd said bar-tailed and black-tailed and didn't look back at your post, before I jumped in, since you mentioned Marbled even if you didn't go for it as the answer, I think it would be only fair to give it back to you, you did correctly identify that it was a godwit and there are only four species and having looked back at your post, you did mention all of them, so back to you.:) 

Very kind and sportsmanlike of you @inyathi to let the "new boy" win and looking back the Marbled was honestly my first choice ( together with the Hudsonian ) but I had the impression that neither of them was the winner or misunderstood @Galanaand so I continued to investigate the other two this morning ; I will have to find another one now which hopefully won't take so long as my investigation of Gulls and Godwits ;)

23 minutes ago, BRACQUENE said:

misunderstood @Galana

Well naming all four in the Genera was not really 'Specific' (no puns) an answer to gain a pass mark.:P