GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@inyathi

A bird of prey for sure and why not one we call in dutch Wespendief " European Honey Buzzard " Pernis Apivorus ?  a juvenile because the eyes are not yellow golden from what I can see but more dark grey like this one seen in the Netherlands and the yellow cere and yellow base to the bill is a match I think with your picture ; It is a long-distance migrant, wintering widely in sub-Saharan Africa so it is possible you saw him there with a body narrower than that of a Common Buzzard and also the head , more protruding like that of a Common Cuckoo ;  the basic pattern resembles the Common Buzzard, but both adults and juveniles come in a wide variety of plumage types ranging from very dark to almost white .

image.png.84dafa619becf48af0b1513b01172253.png

@BRACQUENEWell done, that didn't prove quite as hard as I thought it might, you are getting good at this, I will have to find something truly hard, it is a European Honey Buzzard (Pernis apivorus) over to you.

@BRACQUENEI don't like to answer too quickly, just to give anyone else who might be playing a chance to have go, I thought looking at the first shot that it had to be parrot, your next shot confirms that it must be a parrot so I will suggest

Brown-necked Parrot (Grey-headed) (Poicephalus fuscicollis

@inyathi

Well done and not so easy to distinguish especially the first one  :D: the brown-necked parrot (Poicephalus fuscicollis), sometimes known  as the uncape parrot, is a large Poicephalus parrot species endemic to Africa consisting of the savanna-dwelling brown-necked parrot (P. fuscicollis fuscicollis) and grey-headed parrot (P. f. suahelicus) subspecies. It formerly included the Cape parrot (now Poicephalus robustus) as a subspecies before the Cape parrot was re-classified as a distinct species in the beginning of this century .

image.png.cfabe0ddac0c31a06f8911e614dae58f.png

19024F78-04F6-4ACB-86A3-EE3BD6868757_1_105_c.jpeg.6e6696a1ffcd84474d6e39718816f843.jpeg

The pictures were taken whilst looking at the Buffalo run in Chitake Springs Mana Pools NP in July this year 

@BRACQUENEIn your first shot, I could see that bill looked like that of parrot, but it didn't give a lot else away,  have a go at this one.

Tck1014.JPG.338bf43ea9691e5f3c7ea85fca07f159.JPG

@inyathi

I will quote you

"As we carried on further along the trail, the familiar loud wolf whistle call of the screaming piha  (Lipaugus vociferans my quote ) through the forest “wee wee wee whit weeyoo”, “whit weeyoo” this is the sound of the Amazon rainforest. You hear these birds absolutely everywhere you go in the Amazon, they’re extremely common, but you don’t often see them, even when one is calling very close, you really have to make an effort to actually find it. Their plumage is predominantly drab grey/green and except when they’re throwing their heads back to make their call, they’re usually just perched sitting still on a branch or vine making them very difficult to spot. This one was close enough that we were able to find it before too long."

So you saw this bird on your trip to Guyana and even if the two pictures you posted in your trip report are different from this one I think it is a match ?   

@BRACQUENEYes, I think it is a match too, I thought it was a risk posting one that was in one my reports, but thought I might get away with it, at least for a while, but obviously not, so next time I will pick one from somewhere that I have not written about, back over to you. 

that looks very much like a Rufous-crowned Roller

It is @Soukousalso called the Purple Roller seen here in Ruaha NP in 2017 ; Scientific name: Coracias Naevius

Over to you !

Thank you.

There should be enough here for a rapid ID

crop.jpg.0091d17f34ae870455e33d85c843a60d.jpg

@Soukous

Large Grey Babbler (Turdoides malcolmi) ? The darkness close to the eye is a match I think and also the general look 

image.png.7fd1be6be36b03abcc93ec2bdba0d30a.png

16 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

Large Grey Babbler (Turdoides malcolmi) ? The darkness close to the eye is a match I think and also the general look 

I said it would be easy. Yes, that's the one. Here is the full photo

lgb.jpg.69aa80943863bf2d8ae03d4426c6b94a.jpg

a quick guess, Tambourine Dove

campsafari2015
55 minutes ago, BRACQUENE said:

Thanks @Soukous and to continue in the same way : the next one !

96D125C8-812F-40A1-9ED2-BCF51F2DE94E_1_201_a.jpeg.8a9e2a301cc11b10e9f6184ebf446d0d.jpeg

A bare-faced go away bird?

Well I am tempted to go for a White-eye (Zosterops) but nothing in my books fits that image.

I wonder if we are in the New World?

Nashville Warbler Leiothlypis ruficapilla perhaps.

Let me suggest a Sri Lankan White-eye

campsafari2015
2 hours ago, Galana said:

Well I am tempted to go for a White-eye (Zosterops) but nothing in my books fits that image.

I wonder if we are in the New World?

Nashville Warbler Leiothlypis ruficapilla perhaps.

Nashville is correct!