GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Hmmm.... Is it a black kalij pheasant?

Yes it certainly is a Kalij pheasant

Of the race that lives in the north east of India which is Lophura Leucomelanos lathami I think, because it has a black-crest and underparts and white edging on the rump feathers. This one was in Kaziranga NP in Assam and unfortunately this beautiful chap disappeared before I could get a better shot.

Back over to you.

Hmmm.... Is it a black kalij pheasant?

I've just checked (but not in time to edit my last post) and the lathami race is called the black kalij and that's definitely what this bird is, so extra points KK for getting the full common name :)

kittykat23uk

3874578090_c8c9da4d94_b.jpg

Ok folks, this might be a difficult one. Ian couldn't contain his excitement when he saw this bird, being such a keen birder and all.. ;)

kittykat23uk

Does anyone want a clue?

3874578090_c8c9da4d94_b.jpg

Ok folks, this might be a difficult one. Ian couldn't contain his excitement when he saw this bird, being such a keen birder and all.. ;)

I hope he wasn't too scornful or worse wanted to kill it. ;)

Even when it was just African birds I'm not sure there are enough serious birders here to sustain this, so I could offer an answer but then I might have to post something only to end up in the same boat waiting forever for a response. So I'll wait a while, however I will say one more thing I bet you were both rather more excited by seeing some of the neibourhood cats. :D

kittykat23uk

Indeed we were! Especially when we had been out birding the previous day and then spotted a pair courting in the same area that we had been walking... :D

• 7 months later...

We need to start this up again. So who has a suitably difficult image then?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @@Peter Connan

I see you are from Kempton Park so I assume you have seen this bird in South Africa. I may be wrong but I think it is a female Black-backed Puffback.

By the way it is a beautiful photo

Thanks Sharifa.

Indeed the bird was spotted at Narakele NP

@@Sharifa it's over to you. Time to post a difficult bird image, (or part of), for us to try and identify...

Juvenile Pale chanting Goshawk?

• 2 weeks later...

:D I thought it would be challenging??

• 11 months later...
kittykat23uk

Nope, not a glossy starling. He is a black cuckooshrike.

Nope, not a glossy starling. He is a black cuckooshrike.

Trick question - What is this?

10708657_10152812657737783_3655043392464

Bugs, thats a juvenile black cuckoo shrike.