GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@@Tom Kellie Is it Aegithalos concinnus, Black-throated Tit? Bullseye yes indeed it is, photographed at Doi Lang in the north of Thailand. Back over to you.

@@Tom Kellie Is it Aegithalos concinnus, Black-throated Tit? Bullseye yes indeed it is, photographed at Doi Lang in the north of Thailand. Back over to you.

~ @@inyathi

Such a beautiful species. You saw it in northern Thailand? I've never been to Thailand nor seen the bird, but glad to have seen your photo.

OK. From another part of the globe...

************************************************************************************************

This extraordinarily tiny bird was photographed at 9:23 am on 2 April, 2013.

Skies were heavily overcast along the southeast shore of an island where this bird was rapidly flitting around in the undergrowth around trees near a pair of specialized small buildings.

Out of a series of shots, this was the sole usable image. 1/200 sec., f/2.8, ISO 100, 200mm focal length with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 200mm f/2.8L II telephoto lens.

What species is it?

post-49296-0-85633700-1436635781_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom

In Europe I would guess that it was some kind of Goldcrest so how about

The Flamecrest or Taiwan Firecrest (Regulus goodfellowi)?

Hi Tom

In Europe I would guess that it was some kind of Goldcrest so how about

The Flamecrest or Taiwan Firecrest (Regulus goodfellowi)?

~ @@mvecht

Well...

I'm unsure how to respond.

Let me add this. @@inyathi's beautiful Black-throated Tit was photographed in northern Thailand.

I carefully left what I intended as a clue by saying that my photo would be from “another part of the globe”, by which I meant nowhere near Thailand.

My work has taken me all over the globe on a regular basis thus images could have been taken almost anywhere, not only in Asia, although this species does occur in Asia. However, the photo was made far from Asia.

Carefully looking at the bird's head plumage narrows down what it is...not at all a rare species, but also not the Flamecrest...although you're soooooo close.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

kittykat23uk

I would say goldcrest.

I would say goldcrest.

~ @@kittykat23uk

And I would say: You're right!

It was a Regulus regulus, Goldcrest, photographed on a tree trunk growing beside the Viale dei Giardini Pubblici in the Castello Sestiere in Venice, Italy, between the U.K. and France pavilions of the Venice Bienniale.

Is it the case that the Goldcrest is Europe's smallest bird?

This particular bird was easily the smallest adult bird of any species that I've ever photographed.

Your turn...

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

correct, it is the smallest European bird.

I actually have it close to my house but there was something about the plumage that did not look right to me, hence the reason for looking in other continents.

Maybe it was just the angle that the photo was taken at.

The birds that most people probably associate with this particular island don’t even live there but even though I’ve never been I know enough about birds to know that it’s certainly not one of those blessed penguins. :D Though I've not seen any of the birds I do know is that this is one of the many Madagascar specials and I believe it is called a white-breasted mesite Mesitornis variegatus

Edited by inyathi

The birds that most people probably associate with this particular island don’t even live there but even though I’ve never been I know enough about birds to know that it’s certainly not one of those blessed penguins. :D Though I've not seen any of the birds I do know is that this is one of the many Madagascar specials and I believe it is called a white-breasted mesite Mesitornis variegatus

~ @@inyathi

We need to break open the humidor for this one!

I kept looking at scimitar babblers on Taiwan, but they were not right.

Great I.D.!

Tom K.

kittykat23uk

Close, but no cigar quite yet @@inyathi ! Care to guess again?

@@kittykat23uk

Well in that case it must be a Subdesert mesite Monias benschi picking the wrong one just shows I need to visit Madagascar. :)

kittykat23uk

Yep! That's right. Found in the spiny forest of ifaty. Your turn!

@@Tom Kellie After I posted that black-breasted tit I had a look at a distribution map and saw that it is quite widely dsitributed in China, so I thought maybe I should stay out of your backyard for a while. :) Anyone like to have a go at naming this hungry bird.

gallery_6520_770_92810.jpg

kittykat23uk

Well I think I know this one but I will be gracious and let others take a turn first! :)

~ @@inyathi and @@kittykat23uk

This species was taxonomically classified by George Newbold Lawrence in 1866.

The two parts of its binomial nomenclature name both begin with the same letter of the alphabet as the first part of its two-part English common name.

It's a very rare species and is by far the largest of its class of birds which have a very distinctive structure for producing sound.

More than that I'll not say. I'm packing to leave on a safari the day after tomorrow so may have limited opportunities to log into Safaritalk until returning in August.

As a teenager in 1973 I passed through the country where this species lives but didn't look at birds then and have never been back.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie Although you haven't given the species name it seems you've nailed it so maybe I should've asked a supplementary question, this particular individual is actually quite famous so it also has a personal name anyone know what that name is? I guess though it's no good asking you as you're just off on safari so I shall wish you safari njema and see if anyone else wants to name the species once you know the species then finding the name of this individual will be very easy, though just the species name will do.

Well I know the species and the individual name too, although apparently this name has been carried over the years down to the offspring of that first individual :) Shall I say or let someone else? I have my own photos of her :) (That's a hint, its a female name!)

Well since no one has posted anything since my last I guess I'll go ahead and reveal that its the Giant Antpitta "Maria", I imagine taken at Reserva La Paz in Ecuador, near Mindo. She and her decendents are quite famous as they have been trained to come when called, for a worm handout. Here's one of my shots of her (again, it is probably that there are several Giant Antpittas that have been trained to come over the years, but they call them all Maria :)

gian_5249a.jpg

So I guess now it is my turn to post something? I gather from this post that it can be from anywhere in the world? Do I give hints?

kittykat23uk

Depends how difficult the bird is!

Thanks @@janzin I was hoping you would go for it.

Absolutely right, I don’t know what the lifespan of these birds is but I guessed there must probably be more than one Maria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnCzEYaMwc

Birds can be from anywhere it’s up to you if you want to include any hints, unless I think it’s a really hard one I usually don’t when I first post the picture I wait and see if anyone will go for it before adding clues. Anyway over to you.

Okay, here's my challenge. The only hint I'll give at first is that this bird is endemic to the country its found in.

JZ1_0739a.jpg

Brown-hooded Parrots?

Brown-hooded Parrots?

Sorry no, although the family is right :D