GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

well done Jo. and congrats to @@offshorebirder for setting such a challenging ID task.

offshorebirder

Thanks @@Soukous. I was worried that people might be annoyed at me for posting one that was too hard for birders not from North America...

not at all @@offshorebirder there are so many experts here that most challenges are guessed first or second time. It was great to have one that gave time for several people to have a crack at it.

offshorebirder

Ouch - not many field marks visible...

Well this one is really pretty tough also but I am going to say that it is a white-browed tit warbler Leptopoecile sophiae

offshorebirder

Wow - that does look like a good ID - I am impressed @@inyathi.

kittykat23uk

Indeed she is @@inyathi! I thought that was going to be tough! :o

kittykat23uk

My bad! :) I think I accidentally deleted it when I tried to delete a double post..

My bad! :) I think I accidentally deleted it when I tried to delete a double post..

~ @@kittykat23uk

The miracle of ‘Moderator Restoration’!

New life for an old game.

Thanks!

BTW: Hoping that your Finland sojourn is going well.

Tom K.

If I believed in such things I might conclude that the brief disappearance of the game might have been karma. :)

@@kittykat23uk Yes you were right it was a very tough one, but having impressed everyone with my amazing bird id skills I think it’s time to come clean and admit that I did cheat just a bit with this one.

I didn’t actually really know what this bird was but I know my African birds well enough that I didn’t think it was from anywhere in Africa, there was just something about it that made me think it might be an Asian species which pointed me to China knowing that you’d been there not long ago. I’ve never been so I don’t have a book on China but I had a good look through my Field Guide to the Birds of South East Asia and the Pocket Guide to the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent came up with various possibilties but rejected all of them and drew a blank, although it is actually in the latter book. However feeling sure that you had taken the photo in China I decided to look up your trip report to see if that might help and found the same photo complete with the bird’s name. I wasn’t initially going to give an answer but I though that this one might actually prove sufficiently difficult that no one else would go for it and that the game would disappear again as has happened before, I didn’t anticipate that it would actually disappear for real. :lol:

I can post a new photo later if you want, or since I did really cheat maybe you should post another one and I’ll pass and let everyone else have ago.

kittykat23uk

Well that is sime sleuthing Mr Holmes! I think you should go ahead and post a new challenge! :)

offshorebirder

@@inyathi - is it a Common Bulbul? (AKA Black-eyed Bulbul) ?

@@offshorebirder Yes I can see some similarity but no it's not, you won't find any bulbuls where this fellow comes from if that helps.

offshorebirder

Hah - my comeuppance for the Least Flycatcher I suppose :-)

Well if you keep posting birds from South America, I will be able to find them, since that's my prime birding ground :)

I'm fairly certain this one is Black-crested Antshrike, Sakesphorus canadensis

I've seen him in Colombia.

@@janzin No, I've not been there but I have birder friends (some are mad twitchers) that have and I've seen their images of South American parrots.

My offering. An Australian species that thrives in inhospitable salt marsh habitat. It also has a beautiful call.

attachicon.gif#500_MG_8912-2.jpg

@@Geoff

What a fantastic photo. just lovely.

Edited by Earthian

@@janzin Yes you are correct it is a black-crested antshrike in Guyana, perhaps I'll have to stay away from South America for a while and see what I've got from elsewhere to try and stump you.

Over to you.

On to the next. No hints at first, as this might be easy

DSC_5688a%5B1%5D.jpg

offshorebirder

@@janzin - looks like a Lesser Antillean Pewee.

The only other possible flycatchers with cinnamon breasts would be Cliff Flycatcher or Cinnamon Flycatcher. Neither of which has pale lower mandibles. And Cliff Flycatcher is not a match for your bird's crown shape, many plumage color/details, etc. And Cinnamon Flycatcher is much too small + dainty and many field marks do not jive.

I would second that suggestion.

@@janzin I hadn't really got as far as thinking about what this one might be but after @@offshorebirder suggested Lesser Antillean Pewee not having a suitable book to hand I decided to do a Google image search to see if I agreed and spotted your photo near the top of the page :lol:

When you next post a bird I will have to promise not to cheat and look at your website now that I've found it. :)

offshorebirder

Beautiful portrait shot of the Pewee by the way.

@@offshorebirder you got it, of course! I guess that one was too easy! My problem is that I've only got photos from the Americas and Africa--nothing from Asia or Australia, so I'm limited. I guess the rules state you can use photos that aren't your own...maybe next time ;)

Your turn...