GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

As the field has been reduced a fair bit I'm going to suggest red-necked stint.

darn, him again. :o

captured in Africa or Aus?

@@Soukous , captured near my home in Oz but I chose that species as there was a chance some members had seen it in Africa.

I was looking in the right book then, but the stints were not listed immediately next to the plovers so I didn't pick up the similarity.

I am not great at identifying waders in the field but I correctly guessed that the photo was taken in Australia so once a few possible candidates had already been ruled out I was quickly able to pick the right one out of my Aussie bird book though I wasn't 100% certain. Without this book it would have been more difficult as I wouldn’t have known which species occur in Australia and which don’t or only do so as vagrants. If you have Sasol Birds of Southern Africa it has good illustrations of waders in flight, of course it won’t tell you which ones you’re likely to see in Australia, many of them do look very similar so picking the right one would still have been a little tricky. However of the African books it’s a lot more helpful than Roberts Bird Guide which doesn't have flight illustrations for all the waders.

Have a go at this one it shouldn’t be too hard.

21328162390_bca06d9053_o.jpg 

Edited by inyathi

yes indeed it is a crested serpent eagle Spilornis cheela

@@kittykat23uk that was a little too easy I thought you'd probably get it as you must have seen a few of these eagles in India this one was in Kaziranga NP in Assam.

Your turn.

@@kittykat23uk Yes mine was a little too easy but I'm afraid yours is even easier.

Not too much ornithological knowledge required this time, is it a crested lark photographed in Velavadar by any chance? :lol: I think you forgot to delete the label when you posted it, otherwise it would have been quite a hard one although it also an African bird occuring across the Sahel region and in the north west of Kenya so it is in several African books which would have made it slightly easier. I think you'd better post another one.

An bugger! I cropped and saved as a new image, didn't realise it kept the same title. Oh well I will try and find another! :)

An bugger! I cropped and saved as a new image, didn't realise it kept the same title. Oh well I will try and find another! :)

hey, I guessed it and I hadn't seen the label. but @@inyathi was too quick for me

Ugh. This could be anything. I'm probably way off the mark but I'll guess Eurasian Bittern Botaurus stellaris.

crikey @@Geoff you always say you have no idea and then get a hole in one!

impressive.

@@Soukous a complete fluke. For some time I thought it might be a francolin species.

@@kittykat23uk nice bittern image. If they are anything like their Aussie cousins I suspect they are a difficult species to photograph.

No guesses for a few days so another image of the same species. The first image was of a juvenile this image is of a female. I'll give some clues in a day or so if no one has an answer.

post-5120-0-50817000-1443220707_thumb.jpg