GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

I'll take a stab and say are they golden whistlers Pachycephalus pectoralis?

Okay how about this one.

13721504164_cfd3ec083e_o.jpg

Edited by inyathi

Finally I can play again, something from the part of the world I know.

This one is Spotted Puffbird. Bucco Tamatia.

Unfortunately we did NOT see this in Brazil :angry:

Did you take this at Cristalino?

Edited by janzin

@@janzin I was a little concerned when I posted that one that it might prove a little hard or at least it would be difficult for anyone not familar with South American birds clearly I needn't have worried I was forgetting that you must have been home from Brazil for a little while.

Checking though my Brazil list I didn't see this species in Brazil either, the photo was taken in a patch of forest at Karanambu in Guyana.

Even if you didn't see this puffbird I'm sure you've now got plenty of new birds to choose from, so over to you.

Actually @@inyathi it was pretty easy. I clicked on the photo and your flickr link has the name beside the bird

@@Soukous

Actually @@inyathi it was pretty easy. I clicked on the photo and your flickr link has the name beside the bird

Yes I would hope that when you click on it, it does, it certainly should do, I always find it a little annoying when I see a nice photo on Flickr and want to know what it is or where it was taken but it doesn’t have a title or any labels at all, so I always try to make sure that all of my photos are correctly labeled with the subject and the location. Eventually I will have tagged all of them as well, though it’s a little bit of a chore to do especially adding all the scientific names so I’ve still got someway to go. You might therefore think that you have hoist me by my own petard :lol: however before I posted my last photo I removed it from its original Flickr album deleted the title and all of the tags so up until about midday yesterday if you’d clicked on it shouldn’t have told you anything at all. Soon after I’d seen that @@janzin had given the correct answer I typed the title back in, added the tags allover again and put it back in the appropriate album as I wanted to make sure I didn’t forget to do all of that. So if you clicked on it after then, then yes you would have seen the name.

If I'm uploading new bird photos for this game I just put them in a general album and make sure they don’t have a title or any tags and only add those after the photo has served its purpose here. I am aware that even if someone is not intending to cheat they might click on my photo to try and see an enlargement and unintenionally end up on my Flickr site and see the name without meaning to. Initially when posting photos that I’ve already uploaded some time ago I just deleted the title but I realised that if I left the photo in its main album that would obviously give away the location and if there was more than one shot of it I’d have to remove any names from those as well. From now on with any photos already on Flickr I will take the photos out of their original albums, when I add them back again it puts them at the end of the album so I have to use the organizr to put the photos back in the correct position. However having done it once it's no big deal, so you shouldn't be able to cheat from now on even by accident unless I forget to do all of this. :)

Hey I didn't cheat :o I just knew that one :D

So this may be too easy(at least for inyathi who seems un-stumpable!) but let's test your knowledge of LBJs.

JZ1_4041b.jpg

Well that was quick! And from Australia yet! I guess I am just making these too easy. Maybe I don't have any photos of difficult birds, lol. Or maybe I should put up fuzzier photos. :P

Over to you, @@Geoff !

Well that was quick! And from Australia yet! I guess I am just making these too easy. Maybe I don't have any photos of difficult birds, lol. Or maybe I should put up fuzzier photos. :P

Over to you, @@Geoff !

@@janzin Don't put up fuzzy shots. I enjoy looking at your good images. Besides, making it almost impossible wouldn't be in the spirit of the game.

southern boobook - ninox novaeseelandiae ??????????????

I feel a bit guilty actually. I thought it was some kind of owl and guessed it might be Australian.

I opened up my book and the Boobook just stared right at me. No skill involved whatsoever.

I'm not sure if you'll like this one folks.

Most of my birds photos are of species that are easily recognised - and photographed.

I also wanted to find something that taxed your knowledge a bit more than just opening a bird book - (like wot I just did)

so here goes..

post-43899-0-66511800-1443617684_thumb.jpg

I was just about to post the following when @@Anomalure beat me to the finishing line. :lol:

@@Soukous

I feel a bit guilty actually. I thought it was some kind of owl and guessed it might be Australian.

I opened up my book and the Boobook just stared right at me. No skill involved whatsoever.

Nothing wrong with doing it that way, I arrived at exactly the same answer the exact same way, although it has some ressemblance to a harrier I could see that it was really an owl, though not one I’ve ever seen. This is really the same way I identified Geoff’s previous one as well, I couldn’t have said that it was a whistler off the top of my head but I did think it looked like an Australian bird. Perhaps because I have actually seen the bird albeit a long time ago or just that it didn’t look like any African species that I’ve ever seen and since @@Geoff is from Australia that was the obvious place to look first.

As to your bird well I’m assuming that the nest is a hamerkop nest therefore this is an African species the feathered legs suggest to me that it might perhaps also be an owl and the colouration made me think of a barn owl. I happen to know thanks to Wikipedia that barn owls do take over hamerkop nests.

Therefore my guess is a barn owl Tyto alba

@@Anomalure & @inyathi

you both got it right. Tyto alba it is

Yes, it is a Barn Owl that has taken over a Hamerkop's nest. I should have known ti wouldn't take you long.

Screen Shot 2015 10 04 At 7.09.37 PM

Sorry it's small, trying to figure out how to get bigger images in text… Hopefully the birds should be identifiable.
Hope it's not too easy.

Edited by Anomalure

woolly necked storks?

kittykat23uk

That's what I was going to go for too.