GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@@inyathi no worries...in my estimation you can never go wrong posting pics of Silver-breasted Broadbills. Your photo is gorgeous and I love how the bird is framed by its natural environment.

I knew it was a broadbill, but wasn't sure of the species but a quick image search did the trick..

Hope I haven't posted this one before:

22483687817_d6697a9cf8_h.jpgUntitled by Jo Dale, on Flickr

offshorebirder

@@kittykat23uk - I am having trouble seeing enough detail in your photo to separate two possibilities I have in mind.

But is it an Indian Cuckoo?

A close guess! :) not quite though..

@@kittykat23uk - Thanks

Not the best photo but hopefully interesting

gallery_47987_1191_95584.jpg

Edited by lmSA84

offshorebirder

For what it's worth, my next guess was going to be Hodgson's hawk-cuckoo...

@@janzin - yep! It is a Blue-naped Chlorophonia. Photographed at the Iguazu Falls, 2014.

Pretty! Never seen one of those!

Finally one I recognized :) I've got nice photos of them from Brazil and Colombia, they are widespread in South America and come to feeders. Funny thing is I started searching for birds from exotic locals (to me)--Australia, India, Southeast Asia, etc when suddenly I just took a good look and it hit me--duh, I KNOW this bird! The pose was a little odd, with the neck stretched out--they usually have a compact, hunched together look, which confused me.

blue_naped_chlorophonia_0163a.jpg

Now I'll have to start searching for something challenging...stay tuned...

Edited by janzin

Beautiful photo of a beautiful bird!

Is it a female booted racket-tailed hummingbird?

How about Broad-billed hummingbird (Cynantus latirostris)?

I was going to go with Broad billed as well, but as that has been taken and on the off chance that it is wrong I will plump for a magnificent hummingbird (female)

Edited by Soukous

I am now thinking that it is not a broadbilled Hummingbird

but rather a Honduran Emerald (Amazilia luciae)

Well I was just about to give a hint but @@mvecht got it--its a Honduran Emerald. The endemic hummingbird of Honduras. In fact Honduras' only endemic bird. This image was taken pretty much where everyone sees their first Honduran Emerald, in the Honduran Emerald Reserve in the Aguan Valley, near Olanchito, Honduras. By the way this is a male bird.

More info:

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/speciesfactsheet.php?id=1934

Your turn again, mvecht!

Edited by janzin

@@janzin

Beautiful picture as always from you!

I will try with another bird from the same family.

This bird is not endemic to one country but still to a very small area.

post-5254-0-67110800-1447265028_thumb.jpg

post-5254-0-67110800-1447265028_thumb.jpg

I got the Chlorophonia as I I guessed it had to be a South or Central American bird and I knew which part of the book to look in, there’s a similar species the golden-browed chlorophonia but I concluded it wasn’t that one and I have seen the blue-naped. The next one was more difficult, I’ve been waiting for someone to post a hummingbird as I not sure if we’ve had one before or not for a long time at least. I don’t think you appreciate until you actually go to South America just how many different species there are of these little jewels even though they don't all look the same it does make it difficult to find the right one in the book. Unless you go somewhere where they put up hummingbird feeders you often only glimpse them and they’re moving so fast you don’t get a proper look. However even when they’re not moving they really aren’t that easy to identify, I was beginning to think that it was probably a Honduran emerald but I really wasn’t sure as I hadn’t considered all the options. I've not been to Central America nevermind Honduras so I wouldn't have been able to get even close to identifying it without the web.

Now we have another hummer, this one I think is a white-tailed sabrewing Campylopterus ensipennis

Seen on Tobago would be my guess though it is also found the neighbouring corner of Venezuela

Edited by inyathi

I think inyathi is right about the White-tailed Sabrewing :)

Yes hummers can be tough; especially in the books they can look so similar to one another as you don't really see all of the colors. I was surprised that the Honduran Emerald was identified so quickly, but then again you guys are hard to stump!

well done @@inyathi

it is indeed a white-tailed sabrewing Campylopterus ensipennis and yes the photo was taken in Tobago.

You are right Hummingbirds are hard to identify but also quite difficult to photograph when they are not sitting still which is almost all the time ;)

Your turn

@@janzin Actually when I first open the Birds of Northern South America to look at hummingbirds I saw one called the turquoise-throated puffleg and thought that sounds like a good discription of your bird though it didn’t look quite right, but I did a quick Google image search just to be sure only to find that it’s probably extinct, that rather ruled out that one. Your bird was a really difficult one I had to look at an awful lot of birds just to narrow it down to the point where I was pretty certain I had the right one but wasn’t completely sure.

@@mvecht While I was trying identify the first hummer I found an alphabetical list of hummers on Wikipedia when I looked in my book for yours I saw the white-tailed hillstar and thought I wonder if it’s that but the surrounding vegetation didn’t look right for a high altitude bird and while the bird is similar it wasn't a close enough match. I then thought I bet there are other white-tailed hummingbirds went back to the list scrolled down to W and immediately picked out the sabrewing a quick image search confirmed it was a good match and the distribution also suggested it was probably right. I’ve not been myself but I know lots of birders go to Tobago but if when I Iooked it up I'd seen it was only found in the cloud forest on one remote mountain in Colombia I would’ve thought it’s probably not that one then. That was much quicker, if the bird had been given a different name it would have taken a lot longer.

I could have chosen a third hummer but some of them aren’t at all difficult and clearly even the ones that are really difficult aren’t as big of a challenge as I might of thought so I’ve decided to go for something else.

22352668243_d97303564a_o.jpg

A wild guess based on some @@inyathi -style sleuthing. Stripe-cheeked Greenbul, perhaps?

Edited by janzin